• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows CE Software

NeXT

Veteran Member
Finding software for my Newton was fun but now I have to find software for something just as obscure, Windows CE 2.0.
I have the system and networking service packs installed on my MIPS-based Mobilon but other than the stuff in ROM I got no other software for it.
Where exactly on the net can software for said version of CE be found?
I have heard of hpc.net and hpcfactor.com (actually got the service packs and ActiveSync software there) however hpcfactor asks for money on a fair chunk of stuff as well as they cater mostly to the newer stuff and hpc.com is very slow and a lot of links are dead.

...I have to find software for something just as obscure, Windows CE 2.0...

I´ve got an IBM Workpad z50 with Windows CE 3.0 (and built-in CE versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access). A few years back I think I found mostly games as far as other CE software. Even tried my hand at starting to write programs for it (with a version of Codewarrior).

I have a Phillips Nino 300( MIPS CPU , CE 2) and a MobilePro 770( MIPS CPU , CE 2.11).

There are still places to find software for these older units, it just takes some looking. I also keep backup folders of everything I found for these old PDAs over the years.

As it happens I just threw out a boxed Macmillan PlusPack for CE, but I managed to retrieve the CDROM and manual if you're interested; PM.

(Some card games, financial apps, autodialer etc.)

Thanks for the offer mike but I don't think I ahve a need for any of that software (I'm also not a solitare fan either).
So there are basically no websites where you can download software fo these older Windows CE devices?

I'll have to hunt down my old sources, but they're out there. I retired my two CE 2 devices to my collection when I was given a Palm Lifedrive and a HTC Titan.

I might have asked you for it Mike, but that's the same kind of things I toss out, too. It's like a productivity pack, not good for me. Who needs a PDA to tell me I'm late for an appointment? I think I have a handle on knowing when I'm late :)

I'm looking for games and things. One really neat thing I have is a Win CE 2.x thin client terminal. It's a totally contained computer in itself but has all thebells and whistles of a desktop. So I'm still lookng for stuff for both that and my Compaq C130.

I might have asked you for it Mike, but that's the same kind of things I toss out, too. It's like a productivity pack, not good for me. Who needs a PDA to tell me I'm late for an appointment? I think I have a handle on knowing when I'm late :)

I'm looking for games and things...
Umm, I did say (6) card games...
Also autodialer, battery monitor & 2 financial apps; nothing there to tell you about appointments. No sweat, out it goes.

One really neat thing I have is a Win CE 2.x thin client terminal.

Is that a Compaq Evo T series by any chance? I have 4 T20s and 2 t30s. One of my T20s is a Windows NT Embedded version that I gave a nice MP3 player program as well as a few other cool stuff on a usb stick, and I converted one of the CE ones to Damn Small Linux.

They're cool little machines indeed.

Is that a Compaq Evo T series by any chance? I have 4 T20s and 2 t30s. One of my T20s is a Windows NT Embedded version that I gave a nice MP3 player program as well as a few other cool stuff on a usb stick, and I converted one of the CE ones to Damn Small Linux.

They're cool little machines indeed.

Not a Compaq, it's an odd name that I hav enever heard of before. I do know of those Compaq's and they would be neat to have (sound like you've made yours even cooler to own). It runs eerily quiet.

Slightly on/off topic, if you do a search on ebay for 'netbook' a bunch of ~$70 Win CE 5.0 machines come up. They look handy, as I need something like that for basic net communicating (and spare the expense of a full laptop).

I'll get some more info on my thin client in a little bit.

Nathan

I might have asked you for it Mike, but that's the same kind of things I toss out, too.
Fortunately someone with a better appreciation of these things than you Philistines has stepped up to give it a new home.

By the way, I have a Compaq/Wyse T1010 (w/PS), a Wyse WT2800SE WinTerm and a few NCD ThinSTAR 300's that I've been scrapping/stripping; any of them actually useful?

Back