• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows NT 3.51 Installation error (INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEIVCE)

Bluremii

So I was installing windows Nt 3.51 right. Before I had NT 3.1. I decided to upgrade to 3.51 and the installation went smoothly up until the end of the text based installation process. Windows told me to restart to enter the graphical part of the setup. But when I did that I get greeted with this horrendous bsod. The stop code is 0x0000007B. And as the title says the error is inaccessible boot device. Im guessing that means my hard drive isn't able to boot but why? Is there a fix?
Edit: I did read online that I could make a new cd rom of the installation with a new version of Atapi.sys file which is likely what caused this error to happen, but I'm starting to run out of cds and I need to save as many as I can to make other systems, Id like to know if there was any other fix to this

Last edited:
Any chance you were previously using a dynamic drive overlay that got blown away by the NT installer?

I do still have the 3 disks that the installation made when I started the installation, if that helps the situation at all

I do still have the 3 disks that the installation made when I started the installation, if that helps the situation at all
What size is you BOOT partition? I not sure about NT 3.51, but NT 4.0 is limited to 4GB and after that. the sky's the limit so to peak. It is possible to lay down a 7.8GB partition if your are going the image route. Also, remember that you will be dealing with NTFS as opposed to FAT16.

What size is you BOOT partition? I not sure about NT 3.51, but NT 4.0 is limited to 4GB and after that. the sky's the limit so to peak. It is possible to lay down a 7.8GB partition if your are going the image route. Also, remember that you will be dealing with NTFS as opposed to FAT16.
on f disk it says 2047 mb

Generally, the 7B BSOD means that NT, when switching to protected mode drivers, can't find or access the disk.
Does your disk have more than 1024 cylinders?

Back