• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wire-Wrap supplies

NobodyIsHere

Veteran Member
Hi! If you have any old wire-wrap supplies (sockets, wires, posts, tools, labels, etc) that you'd like to sell or just need a good home please contact me.

I am using wire-wrap for some home brew electronics projects and could use some more items. It doesn't really matter what you have I will gladly sort old boxes of stuff out for reuseable items.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

73 de N8VEM

I recently sold some of my wire wrap supplies. Pins and posts (for scrap gold) but I think I might have more.

Andrew, the best I've found is to locate an old prototype board with wire-wrap socket pins. Punch them out and use them in vectorboard (either pad-per-hole or "naked" perfboard with holes drilled out with a #54 drill. It looks good and you don't need to keep a lot of sockets on hand.

You used to be able to find the vector prototyping boards with the 0.055" holes for wirewrap pins new, but no one stocks them now.

Hi Chuck! Thanks!

Well the good news is I have plenty of prototyping boards. I did a manufacturing run of ECB prototyping boards for the N8VEM project and have a stack here.

http://n8vem-sbc.pbwiki.com/f/IMG_8248.JPG

They plug into the N8VEM's ECB and work like a champ! Here is my latest project using one:

http://n8vem-sbc.pbwiki.com/f/IMG_8333.JPG

Its mostly just a demonstration but I threw it together in practically no time. It took more time with the gender bending cables than anything else.

The ECB board is just a 8250 UART serial port. Its job is to be the interface to my Propeller prototype board.

I think wire wrap is the way to go with the prototyping boards. I have plenty of sockets and some tools. However, I am chewing through the 30 gauge wire pretty quickly. The pre-cut wires are reusable to a certain extent but wear out after a couple of wraps.

I am going to search on eBay. Maybe there is some raw 30 guage wires for a reasonable price.

The funny thing is I have accumulated quite a bit of wire wrap stuff as other peoples cast offs. For some reason wire wrap just isn't as popular as it once was. The good thing is all the stuff is getting used as I dislike seeing stuff go to waste or just gather dust unused.

Andrew Lynch

If you can issue a company PO, try Squires Less than $25 for a 1000' spool of 30 ga. kynar wirewrap wire.

Otherwise, Gateway isn't too bad at $51 for a 1000' spool.

Strangely, the best deal on eBay for wire wrap wire seems to be a fellow in the UK offering 1000' for under $25Even with shipping, that's a good deal.

I hate the looks of boards made with pre-cut wires. If you don't have one, get a "Micro Strip" wire stripper (p/n 492109-2) from Amp. I've had one for 25 years (mine says "Augat" on it) and it's still going strong--and I've never nicked a wire. I think they're even using them now to strip sheathed fiber optic cable.

Cut wire to size, route carefully and your wirewrap board will look like quality needlepoint. Remember to wrap "on the level".

I don't use labels; I put a small dot of red paint at every pin 1 on a package and a green dot at whatever pin turns out to be on the diagonal. That keeps me honest.

When I'm done and have the board tested, I stick it onto a piece of plastic foam to protect the pins and to avoid inadvertent contact with other metal surfaces.

Last edited:
Hi Chuck!

I am using pre-cut wires since that is what I have around. Yeah, they are a bit messy. I ordered few small spools of wire on eBay and try some custom length wires.

When you say "on the level" what do you mean? Its been a long time since I wire wrapped and I learned how to do it from what I read in a book.

I noticed that my mini-dikes don't work worth a hoot for stripping 30 awg wire. They work great for the 24 awg I use for the point to point soldering prototypes I build though.

Probably I should get the books out again and read up on wire wrapping. Even still the prototypes are looking better and are easier to work with.

Andrew Lynch

Have a look here. See the little illustration under "daisy chain"? That's what I mean by "keeping things on the level"; try to keep connections between pins on the same level instead of "zig zag" construction.

That Amp Micro-Strip is really cool since you set the length of the strip that you'd like and never give it another thought. A good wire-wrap job can be a work of art.

Are you using a powered wirewrap gun? I recommend it for producing nice uniform-quality wraps. I also have a hand tool, but that's only for emergencies and unwrapping. Ebay usually carries a number of used wirewrap guns. I use an OK gun, but many prefer Gardner-Denver models. If you do buy an eBay gun, make sure that it includes the proper bit and sleeve, as getting one after the fact can cost more than you paid for the gun.

There's no reason that a good wire-wrap board shouldn't last as long as a custom PCB.

Hi All! I just picked up another batch of used wire wrap supplies and tools. However with all the projects lately I am still burning through my stash at a pretty good clip. If anyone has any excess wire wrap supplies, gear, sockets, tools, wires, etc please contact me. Also prototyping boards and supplies.

I do have some stuff I'd like to trade though. For instance I have many 16 pin sockets and just a few of the some other varieties. Plenty of 24 and 28 pin sockets but few 32's and 40's. Maybe we can do some swapping?

Please let me know. I am willing to pay a fair price but not too much since I can get most of this stuff commercially, locally, or from eBay. I'd just prefer to use up other hobbyists old stock first rather than let it go to waste.

Andrew Lynch

It's too bad that you didn't post this back in October. My old workplace threw out a crapload of wire wrap stuff. I think I still have a couple bags of wire, but I'll probably end up using it.

The stuff that got thrown out was an automated wire wrap machine, along with a huge metal storage bin for all different lengths of wire. I did take home one part of the machine... the paper tape reader :D

Bungo! You're killing me man! I feel like that old TV commercial with the Indian chief crying while watching people littering. Seriously, if you see any more wire wrap stuff floating about please contact me. I use the stuff all the time and am chewing through my supplies at a pretty good clip on various projects. I'll pay a fair price for excess wire wrap supplies and tools, shipping, etc. For heaven's sake, don't let them throw it away!

Please forgive the n00b question but I have to ask...

Is it practical to wire wrap prototype circuits using 24 AWG wire? I can get a bit from eBay and have an extra wire wrap tool it would work with. I have literally piles of scrap Cat 5 copper single strand wire I can rip apart and if its possible to use 24 AWG wire, I'll have enough wire wrap wire to last for years.

Has anyone tried using 24 AWG wire for wire wrapping prototype boards? I know the 30 AWG wire works great but don't know if the 24 AWG copper single strand would work as well.

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Please forgive the n00b question but I have to ask...

Is it practical to wire wrap prototype circuits using 24 AWG wire? I can get a bit from eBay and have an extra wire wrap tool it would work with. I have literally piles of scrap Cat 5 copper single strand wire I can rip apart and if its possible to use 24 AWG wire, I'll have enough wire wrap wire to last for years.

Has anyone tried using 24 AWG wire for wire wrapping prototype boards? I know the 30 AWG wire works great but don't know if the 24 AWG copper single strand would work as well.

Well, telco stuff uses 24 AWG wire, but I seem to remember that they also use much larger posts. I think the 0.025" wire wrap posts used in electronics with 30 AWG wire might be too small and might not hold up very well.

Heh. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to wire-wrap with 24gauge wire. Stick to 30 gauge. Remember, the telco stuff uses bigger pins, and they are further apart too. 24gauge wire will start to get pretty thick on the board real fast. Not to mention that it'll be really likely to break off right at the wraps...

Now, that's not to say you can't prototype with 24gauge wire - I've done it many times, and for the same reason - lots of scrap telephone/cat5 wire. Only I don't wire wrap it, I do point to point with it. Using standard pad-per-hole perf board and telephone wire, I've made all sorts of stuff. The phone wire is the perfect diameter to fit through the holes in the board. If you're careful, and bundle busses together, it works quite well. Not as reworkable as wire wrap though.

That 30 gauge wire wrap wire is really, really handy stuff too. Go ahead and buy some. If you're desparate, Radio Shack sells it. You can point to point with 30 gauge, and it's the perfect size for patching and reworking traces on production PCBs.

-Ian

Now, that's not to say you can't prototype with 24gauge wire - I've done it many times, and for the same reason - lots of scrap telephone/cat5 wire. Only I don't wire wrap it, I do point to point with it.
CAT-5 is indeed great for point-to-point. It can be a pain to strip and separate all the conductors, but you do get eight differently colour-coded wires for your efforts. A few meters of free offcuts go a long way...

But yes, I sure wouldn't want to wire-wrap with it.

Univac used to use 24 gauge on its backplanes, e.g. the 1004/1005, 1001 and 1050 systems, then switched to 30 gauge in the 60's. 30 is sooo much nicer to work with... esp when you have the bits that trim the cut wire to length for you.

I will be going through my ww stuff in the near future to thin it out. I think I have a few Multibus ww boards. Also a Gardner Denver WireWrap 27600AB2 that needs new batteries (has the charger). And probably some bits. If I have duplicate nonicks then some of those will go as well.

I used to work for Univac, did lots of ww on backplane for Field Change Orders. The worst I think was the 1110, some places it was several inches deep with wire. Of course that is where you needed to unstrip the top wire to get to the bottom one :-( The 1100/80 was difficult as it was all twisted pair ww on the back plane.
Lastly I have a program for CP/M called Wiremaster. Works great for making wire lists. You just check them off as you go along.

I will post back in a week or 2 with the list on the For Sale section.

Gerrit

The 1100/80 was difficult as it was all twisted pair ww on the back plane.

CDC did the same thing--taper-pin construction. Need to make a change? Make sure that you have a flashlight that you can hold in your mouth, so you can use both hands to "part the sea". :)

Hi All! Please post your good sources for wire wrap sockets and connectors. I am using up my stock rapidly and am looking for a new source. Especially one that won't break the bank.

This company sounds appealing but no experience with them.

http://www.king-cart.com/phoenixent/product=SOCKETS+WIRE+WRAP+DIP+%26+SIP/exact_match=exact

If anyone has any excess/scrap/leftover wire wrap stuff they don't want/need please contact me. I'll gladly accept donations of old stuff and put it to good use and/or pay a reasonable amount, shipping, etc.

I am especially interested in sockets at the moment although other stuff is helpful too. I've bought out several hobbyist's caches of old wire wrap supplies and paid $50-$100 depending on what's in it. Please don't let it sit collecting dust or throw it away!

Andrew Lynch

I still have a bunch of stuff. Just not a lot of gold plated items which I mentioned I sold a while ago. Wish I had held on to them though. Gold was 700 back then, now at record highs.

I have sockets too, so I will pull it out of storage and look it over. I was thinking of selling it on ebay. I'll give you a heads up.

Thanks! Please keep me in mind when you find your wire wrap supplies.

Andrew Lynch, 73 de N8VEM

Andrew,

Send me an PM with what prices you are looking for on a per socket basis... and any other odd parts you are looking for.

I'll be out in the San Jose area soon and will be digging through various surplus stores. If I can find the parts for you at prices under what you are looking for, I'd be happy to grab a bunch for you.

All I ask is you cover cost/tax, shipping, and PayPal fees.

RJ

Back