• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wiring up keyboard to Flashwriter II

Nama

Veteran Member
Hi,
As some of you may know, I'm about ready to attempt to make a cable to connect a Vector Graphic keyboard (from a VG terminal) directly to a Vector Graphic Flashwriter II S100 card. Ultimately I want to use this in my IMSAI.

I have drawn up the connections I need to make as I wanted to be sure I didn't make any mistakes, but I am unsure wether I need to wire up the -12V line.
The manual for the Flashwriter II says that the -12V line is optional, but the manual showing the schematic for the Vector Graphic terminal shows the -12V line hooked up to the keyboard.

If anyone has any thoughts on how I should go about this I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

Phil

Flashwriter Keyboard.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just open up the keyboard and see if the 12V line actually connects to anything?

My VG systems use serial consoles so I can't help you, but maybe someone on the Vector Graphic mail list could; I know some folks have had to replace missing keyboards for Flashwriters so although it's a different issue there is some FW experience there.

Unfortunately I can't find the mail list address at the moment; I think Andrew is still a member, maybe he'll see this and be able to help.

Good luck,

mike

Good idea. The keyboard is presently in storage at the inlaws, but I'll get it out this weekend and see where the 12V line goes.

Thanks again

Phil

I have the same configuration running in my lab (the Keytronics keyboard from a Mindless Terminal connected directly to a FlashWriter II). Your drawing looks correct. No, you do not need the -12v connected unless your keyboard has Z3 (1702 PROM) installed (it won't). The -12v is used to generate -9v for the optional 1702.

Mike

Great! I didn't think I needed it, but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Phil

Back