• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Won a Toshiba T6600C on eBay.

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Toshiba...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:13|39:1|240:1318

As some of you may know, these were a cross between desktop and laptops, but more leaning towards the desktop side (e.g. they didn't have battery but small PSU's). They all came standard with a 486DX2/66, 8mb of RAM (this one has 24mb installed), and a 510mb SCSI HD. From the description, it is possible the drive is out (sellers can always be so optimistic... "It probably just needs an OS"), but I'm not worried about it as it takes standard SCSI drives from the era, which I have a few laying round. They also had a pair of full length ISA slots and built-in SCSI, Microsoft Windows Sound System, and 1mb VRAM (640x480 on internal LCD, but up to 1024x768 @ 256 colors on external).

There were 3 models of this "portable":
T6600C
T6600C/CD (this one, with a 2x CD-ROM drive)
T6600C/CDV (same as CD model, but also included some ISA boards with video capture capabilities and 10BaseT Ethernet)

Here's a link to a brochure I found online:

http://resource.toshiba-europe.com/europe/computers/flyers/classics/t6600c_e.pdf

Although bigger and heavier than a laptop, it is still compact enough to allow for some good ol' DOS gaming anywhere around the house. As it stands, I usually have my 486 class machines in a closet and they don't get to come out very often... Too much space, and moving CRT's around can be a bitch.

DOSBox just doesn't bring the whole experience...

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this portable, a lot... :-D

Cool system. I had a similar NEC system like that (almost seemed like a prototype but I dunno, could have just been previously dissected by another geek). Unfortunately I have it in pieces from a project 10 years ago (never put it back together like an idiot and probably can't by this point). Definitely cool advantage that it takes regular desktop parts though! Regular hard drive, regular SIMMs, I'm not sure if my friend and I were just being idiots (new) and trying to upgrade it to a 486 or if we had a standard pin 386 chip we were going to upgrade it with. I just remember it being a tad smaller than the chip we were going to put in it. Unfortunately I can't recall how much we new about systems and sockets at that time.

Really wish I had it together though. Weighed a bit much to be lugging it around school with me once and a while but was a nice system for coding.

I have seen and used one before. They are nice for 3.1 and (95 if you really want to push it) but I swear that the thing doubles as a weapon. You can kill someone with that thing it's so big and heavy. :rolleyes:

want. :-D

probably could double as a weapon. ive defended my self with an ibm p70 before. someone tried to steal my laptop bag and i beat them over the head with the p70.

It will definitely be ready to go by my night stand in case someone tries to break into the house in the middle of the night... :mrgreen:

I think the only oddity about it is that it uses some "card" type RAM. I haven't really digged deep enough into this matter, yet, but since this one has 24mb of RAM, I'm not too worried about it. Anything beyond 16mb is "surplus" RAM for the apps and games I plan to use with it...

Would be nice to max it out, though. :rolleyes:

I do wish the internal screen was a tad bigger and did 800x600 at least. I think SimCity 2000 for DOS required at least 800x600 (can someone correct me if I'm wrong?), and VESA compatible displays. Let's see if I can make this thing work.

Does anyone know if the Microsoft Windows Sound System has DOS-level drivers available (even if third-party)? Or is somehow able to be configured to emulate Adlib, SB, or SB Pro for games that don't have direct support for it?

Does anyone know if the Microsoft Windows Sound System has DOS-level drivers available (even if third-party)? Or is somehow able to be configured to emulate Adlib, SB, or SB Pro for games that don't have direct support for it?
Toshiba advertised their laptops as having "Windows Sound System" audio, but in reality they used a variety of audio chipsets, usually from ESS and Crystal. Also, CMOS Setup should have options for configuring the sound chip for use with DOS.

Toshiba advertised their laptops as having "Windows Sound System" audio, but in reality they used a variety of audio chipsets, usually from ESS and Crystal. Also, CMOS Setup should have options for configuring the sound chip for use with DOS.

Interesting... First order of business once it arrives... Figure out a way to make the built-in audio work with DOS games...

Hmmm.... Come to think of it, I first need a working hard drive and OS before I can do anything else. :rolleyes:

There's always floppy boot and swapping. :cool:

If it's anything like the ESS-688 sound chip in my P90 Toshiba laptop, then it will have Sound Blaster Pro emulation in hardware, with no drivers needed. All you need to do is configure it in the CMOS Setup and then issue a SET BLASTER= command to match the parameters you've chosen (interrupt, DMA, etc.).

MPXPlay is also helpful for identifying what sound chip you have (if it's anything even remotely compatible with DOS, MPXPlay will recognize it) and telling you what SET BLASTER= command you should be using. MPXPlay claims to require a minimum of a 486DX4-100, but it is known to work on a 486DX2-66 if you enable interrupt decoding and disable the spectrum analyzer. And yes, it will load and run from a floppy disk, if you can find MP3 file(s) small enough to fit on the disk along with it!

If it's anything like the ESS-688 sound chip in my P90 Toshiba laptop, then it will have Sound Blaster Pro emulation in hardware, with no drivers needed. All you need to do is configure it in the CMOS Setup and then issue a SET BLASTER= command to match the parameters you've chosen (interrupt, DMA, etc.).

MPXPlay is also helpful for identifying what sound chip you have (if it's anything even remotely compatible with DOS, MPXPlay will recognize it) and telling you what SET BLASTER= command you should be using. MPXPlay claims to require a minimum of a 486DX4-100, but it is known to work on a 486DX2-66 if you enable interrupt decoding and disable the spectrum analyzer. And yes, it will load and run from a floppy disk, if you can find MP3 file(s) small enough to fit on the disk along with it!

I wonder if the DX4/100 Overdrive I have on one of my other machines would work on the T6600C... I'll test MPXPlay on it as is first. I'll encode a short MP3 clip (I'll also use a really low bitrate).

Can't wait to get this machine... :D

I received this machine today (it was like xmas since I also got the Tandy 1500HD). The machine is in superb shape, and to my surprise the HDD works perfect!

This is a true beast. In the pictures, it just looks like a slightly oversized laptop... In person it looks more like a laptop with a hormonal problem that caused overgrowth. Really huge.

Anyway, I plugged it in and fired it up... CMOS battery appears to be dead, so I entered setup, set the time, and verified the HD configuration. Once it posted, I was greeted by a friendly "Non-system disk or disk error" message. I say friendly because that message is part of the boot record found in DOS FAT formatted drives... So, it likely meant we had a working drive.

Put a boot floppy in and typed C: at the command prompt... It switched over. Did a chkdsk... All 510mb free... DIR showed nothing, of course. :)

Installed DOS 6.22 and WFW 3.11 on it already. I am now in the process of testing a set of DOS/Win 3.x Crystal Sound drivers that I am hoping will work with the Microsoft Sound System that's built into these machines.

Oh, I stole the ASPI2DOS.sys and ASPICD.sys files from the standard Windows 98 setup boot floppy disk and the SCSI CD-ROM drive works like a charm, too. :-D

It's the CD caddy type, and the guy included 3 caddies (2 are still shrinkwrapped!!). It came with all the original documents and 2 disks that appear to be for another Toshiba computer, but the docs are for this one.

Also a big leather case for it.

I'll report back on my DOS gaming experience with it. :cool:

Last edited:
These things are BETTER than sliced bread!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390034841030&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

$14.19 + shipping!! My best score of 2009 so far.

LCD screen doesn't work but do I care? No. Hard drive works. Has Windows for Workgroups on it. Bunch of music files, sound card works. External VGA adapter works. Keyboard works. Floppy drive works. Plugged in my mouse, mouse port works. Oh yeah, 8 MBs of RAM WORKS! Almost dancing around the place just typing this list.

I just snagged a pretty mint Thinkpad 760CD, those were only $8-10K new.

Also came with some other model 760's of which one got messed up because of bent pcmcia pin (in a million pieces) and another works but the case is ugly.

Ive Got one of these rare T6600C/CD beasts for sale if anyone is interested, its running Win95 all loaded up and functioning but the CDrom drive is not detected (possibly faulty? )

Ive Got one of these rare T6600C/CD beasts for sale if anyone is interested, its running Win95 all loaded up and functioning but the CDrom drive is not detected (possibly faulty? )

This is a 4 year old thread, not the place to be selling something.

If you are trying to sell it, I would post in the market place or for sale sections if you want to get it noticed.

Back