• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Working starter S-100 system for sale

Lou - N2MIY

Veteran Member
Folks,

I have a clean, working, compact, starter S-100 system for sale. It is non-core to my main interests and would be better appreciated by someone else.

It's pictured in this album: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/album.php?albumid=415&attachmentid=45693

In summary, this is a single board ICM CPZ48000 Z-80, 64kb memory system perfect for CP/M 2.2. This board also has an on-board floppy controller and serial interfaces. The enclosure has a four slot backplane (one slot occupied by the CPZ48000), power supplies, and two Shugart SA810s. It is clean and it works. I have serviced the drives (cleaned and lubricated).

I have made CP/M 2.2 bootable floppies (thanks to Don Maslin, smiling down on us from heaven) which work fine (see images in the album). I have collected all the manuals I could and will burn them to CD for the interested party. You must supply your own terminal. Plug that into the back and you are off to the races.

I'd like $400 and it must be picked up locally in northern Westchester county, NY. Sorry, but I will not ship because I do not want to risk damage (I have read too many sad stories about destroyed equipment.)

Please send me a PM if interested.

Thanks,
Lou

Nice, compact little S-100 box! I like how the DEC hardware appears to be towering over it, glaring down at an inferior "computer" :p

... Two separate power supplies? Must weigh a ton...

Not as much as my IMSAI chassis with Front Panel, 21 slot backplane, and only ONE board in it - the JAIR 8080. :D

If it weren't for that, I'd be drooling over this one!

smp

You know, I didn't quite realize it, but from the other stuff in the background it would be quite obvious that this is non-core to my collection. Compared to 19" racks full of stuff, it really is compact. It's basically just a little larger than a desktop PC. The smallest comparable DEC hardware would be a desktop BA23 (and this S-100 box is smaller than that and does weigh much less).

The machines in the background "glaring down at the inferior computer" have nothing to fear since this machine will eventually find a new home. When I think back to when I was first married, I think this would be the ideal machine for vintage computing when space is limited (and you are in a small apartment.) A terminal like a VT220 would actually be period correct and makes for a small setup. It could even be a marriage-saver (I really get an earful about all the 19" racks filled with stuff.)

The single board jam packed with processor, memory, disk controller, and serial interfaces must have been attractive back in the day. No need for a 21 slot backplane here. You only need 21 slots if your memory is all 4k boards! The SA810 drives are tiny too. I don't think there could really be any full-featured S-100 system that occupied less volume.

Indeed, it would be difficult to have a full-featured S-100 system in less space! And, being late production, it's probably quite reliable.

Folks,

This system has now found a new home. Thanks for taking the time to look at this thread. I will leave the picture album up in case the pictures are useful to anyone in the future.

Lou

Back