• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wow. $5k for an Apple II.

nex

Experienced Member
Incredible. An Apple II w/ Integer ROMs (#220876370111) just sold for over $5k on eBay. I don't see anything particularly unique about this Apple II and have actually seen (what I consider) much more rare Apple II's sell for less than half of that in the past 6 months. Guess that's just typical eBay!

Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 7.21.09 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2011-10-28 at 7.21.27 AM.jpg

Yep... I was shocked, but slightly smiling. (Since I'm the guy who bought the "slightly rarer 1978 apple II for less than half that" a couple of months back. ;) )

I didn't buy it to re-sell, but it made the wife slightly happier about the purchase. :p

It's not just apple IIs, bare bones Apple IIGSes have been selling for well over their typical market price. Saw one sell for over $200 and didn't even have a monitor or any additional cards except the RAM. That setup usually goes for around $50.

lol wtf is up with the market lately? Seems like it's always just so close to something we could have to sell for big bucks then the next time ya turn around someone is offering up one for nothin and no hits again. Gib, what's rare about yours? I always just wanted a plain II just for completion ("Apple" portion of the collection) sake but guess that's outta the question too now.

I'm not too familiar with the hardware aspects. Why are the integer ROMs significant to the rarity and/or value of the computer?

My Apple ][ would probably be worth more if some guy hadn't scrawled "Woz" on the case top. ;)

lmao.. I'm assuming you happened to meet him at a VCF? I wish I could get him to sign stuff but it would sound like I'd be after the money and not the honor which would be completely not my angle. My dream of the museum hasn't died although I admit it's looking perhaps more bleak.

Wow $5k is a decent chunk of cash. So who has a basement of gear they are going to ebay and buy a new house with the money?

;)

I didn't want to hijack but a similar conversation occurred on cctalk recently regarding a Vaxstation 4000/96 which sold for $2800 recently. Apparently the 4000/96 specifically sells for a lot vs the others that most of us probably have sitting around which would still sell for $80.

I'm not too familiar with the hardware aspects. Why are the integer ROMs significant to the rarity and/or value of the computer?
with most software titles requiring autostart rom, a lot of IIs were upgraded to II+ through rom swap (autostart rom + FP basic) I am guessing the unit had been down graded to boost its perceived value.

I you think the prices are too high at the moment then there's an easy fix.
Just hand me an Apple II and let me try to sell it. The market will then crash and prices will floor at the lowest level in ages. This is a certain thing and happens to every economical venture I happen to walk into.

People at work are still slightly mad at me for buying stocks in the holding company we're a part of.. even though I warned them all not to buy the day I bought stocks: I carefully explained to everyone that the stocks would now stop their decade-long constant ascent and drop like a stone. Which happened of course, just as predicted. I knew that in advance because it _always_ happens, without exception. Fortunately I've been aware of this phenomenon for so long now that I never put my economic future into such projects, I just prod now and then to check that everything checks out as normal. Which it does! :)

-Tor

lmao.. I'm assuming you happened to meet him at a VCF?

Yeah. He's a good guy and will sign just about anything. I got him to sign a copy of iWoz, the Apple ][ case lid (top and bottom) and a copy of the Apple ][ manual. Next time I have a chance I'd like to get him to sign my Apple Redbook...

There is an Apple II currently at $5100, but any bidder should beware! It says 1977, low SN 4264, however it has a newer upgraded motherboard. It is not an original Revision 0 motherboard from 1977! I asked questions of the seller about it, and he said that if it was an original motherboard then it would be worth over $20,000! Talk about deluded. It is not original, and only the case has some value. Anyway, anyone buying that machine for over $1000 is in for a rude awakening when they receive a machine commonly sold for hundreds.

Oh wow, I know someone's parents who have an Apple II. I can buy it for $500 and resell it for $5000.

For those with cash to burn...

For those with cash to burn...

For those with cash to burn and missed out on the last (overpriced) II, here's another one for a bargain price (as of this writing) of $3550. Maybe U.S. dollar has depreciated so much that $3550 is about the equivalent of $100 in 1990...

Perhaps these cards are going this high because people are gutting the ROM cards for integer ROMs to downgrade previously upgraded IIs to boost (perceived) value.

Gotta at least be a bit based on the current economy, instead of just trying to make closet space some folks probably are looking for whatever money they can make. And once you go to list an item and see a previous sale like that it's gotta be tempting to try the same... That doesn't completely explain -all- the buyers though.

I wonder what they'll pay for my "ultra rare" ROM03 IIgs with a 1mb card in it... Hahaha.

The economy being in the dumps doesn't explain people paying MORE then usual. Generally people dumping their collectables just makes prices drop not rise.

So the rarity is similar to that of the original Lisa and the Lisa 2/Mac XL, to which most people had upgraded. Makes sense.

Back