• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wrecked PDP8/e front panel removed from a 8/e I struggled to get from a Dump Skip

inotarobot

Veteran Member
Ongoing in my tidying up and emptying my 40ft storage semi-trailer I came across this DEC PDP 8/e front panel, so I will share the history on it.

Z1hyYyh.jpg

About 14 years back I was in the center our States Capital City Melbourne, Victoria Australia and noticed a Huge Dumpmaster Skip outside a Victorian Government building in Queens St (Melb). For any that know me, you are very aware a Dump skip, especially a large one, is like a Honey Pot to Bee for me. So I went 'diving'.

There were numerous computers and other electronic gear some buried under furniture.
Luckily my car was parked near by and I dashed to it, put on steel toe capped boots and overalls, and a HIGH Vis Vest, and when and climbed in bin.

It took me a heap of work but I pulled out a total of 3 X PDP 8/e's which were near top plus some other gear. Sadly I could see deep in Bin, under a lot of furniture and some 19"racks, other DEC items that I think were disk packs etc. No way I could get all the DEC gear out, and I knew no ones phone number to call for help; plus darkness was falling and I had a meeting to attend.

2 were not damaged amazingly but one was smashed on front panel.. the panel you see in these photos.

How I got all 3 out of the high sided bin onto ground then into my car was more good fortune, than good management; as I am only 55kg (121lb) and 5ft 6". I think had it been earlier in day the workers that were loading the bin, would have still be about and told me to bugger off as it was not a Work Safe approved task to be in a bin.

Anyways, at the moment the rest of the 8/e this panel is off is missing..and may be in one of the boxes at front of the semi. Time will tell as It may have been one I ended up dismantling and selling boards from.

As you will notice there is track damage {repairable} and 1 missing switch lever.
I just tried all the other switches and they appear fine.

So what to do do with this panel?

I have a feeling I saw the sections the were broken on the face panel a few months back so possibly I if I can find then and do a glue repair; maybe I could

1 locate the rest of the machine it was on in my storage and put it up for sale?
or if no machine
2 make a stained wooden box to mount it in and marry it to Raspberry Pi and keep it?
3. ask whom is in need of it to do a restoration of an genuine 8/e?

pB1yUww.jpg

YnRXEKz.jpg

8zOpPPN.jpg

PUCrs2M.jpg

First off, damn. Nice find. If I were on that side of the world, I would have been right there in the dumpster with you!

i would just keep that as a spare. It would fetch a nice price or make a good trade item if one of your other machines needs something else. I love Oscar’s PDiP recreations, but lashing it up to a Raspberry Pi wouldn’t be my choice, unless you enjoy that challenge. There are repro PDP/8e front panels which would be the most expensive bit. Somebody’s going to need a front panel someday, and those switches don’t last forever. I have a spare LED panel for my 8/e that I keep in case my lamp-based front panel dies. Just my opinion..

Best,
Crawford

Z1hyYyh.jpg
Interesting story. It'd be interesting to learn what they might have been used for when they were working. Thanks for rescuing those old 8/e's. If you're interested in replacing that smashed 8/e front panel, try to contact Rod "Panelman" Smallwood.
I'm hoping Rod (or someone else) might find a way to create reproduction rack header panels.

I think "spares or repair, or use by" sale/exchange with enthusiasts seems like a wonderful way to go (assuming you don’t want to keep it yourself)!

Missing paddle on the DEP switch: if you can’t source an original, then a 3D printed one with appropriately coloured enamel paint (1K or 2K) is one way to get one. There’s a thread about it here
https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/ge...es?view=stream
Dsc_0820_.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Dsc_0820_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	1225466

If the switch itself is broken and you cannot source an original: I haven't yet spotted a source of replacements for the momentary switches (of which the DEP switch is an example), but have had a few vague ideas. Note that DEC seem to have used two brands of switches; functionally the same (as far as I can tell) but with some cosmetic differences (plastic versus metal bodies). DEC might have had reasons for the change, who knows? Those in your picture are "AIRPAX"; those on the front panel control board I have are "Stackpole". The image above is an original plastic bodied AIRPAX and a modified substitute having the same size and PCB footprint (the momentary switches have a different PCB footprint).

Panel facia: There were some styling differences. One of which is "visually functional" in respect of the selector switch. Your broken example has the later (I think) version, the one I have has the earlier "180 degree" version. I don't think it matters functionally. But maybe something to bear in mind if contacting Rod "Panelman" Smallwood.
PS: The rotary switch positions are physically different so as to match the angles shown.
20210918_112246.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20210918_112246.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.0 KB ID:	1225467

I have had some ideas about how to DIY one at home (to make one for the SBC6120); but, like the reproduction switches, this is on the back-burner whilst I work on an actual PDP-8/E.

Last edited:
Back