• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WTAMU cultural display

curtis

Veteran Member
West Texas A&M University's Panhandle Plains Historical Museum is having a "Cultural" Display showing snapshots from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's. Displaying various items from pop music to news events.

Surprisingly enough, in the great state of Texas, there was not a SINGLE Texas computer on display! AND they had a Mac 128 on display saying it was the first computer Apple ever made!

So say I was appalled would be a gross understatement!

Another item that really caught my attention was the statement saying the Commodore PET was the first personal computer! Let's see, Altair anyone? How about the Kenbak-1? Perhaps IMSAI?

I confronted someone about it and they were more than willing to hear what I had to say. I pointed out there were numerous companies in Texas that were active during the beginning of the personal computer revolution and Apple wasn't one of them! Texas Instruments (DUH!), Tandy/Radio Shack, Dell, Compaq. They acted like they had never heard of any of them!

And I really let them have it regarding that Mac statement! Hmmm, Apple I, Apple II, Apple III, and Lisa!

Oh, and I came up with a new name/description for us computer collectors, cyberhistorians. sounds a bit more impressive, right?

I also offered a 99/4A I have and a CC-40 for their exhibits. Now to see if they'll contact me to accept.

I'm hopeful.

Well, it only took them a month to reply to my comments and offer of equipment! Seems the intern doesn't have regular hours, etc., etc., etc.

Anyway, will see what happens.

Back