• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WTB 4GB DDR3 ram modules 1600mhz or above...

TravisHuckins

Experienced Member
WTB 4GB DDR3 ram modules 1600mhz or above...

If anyone has this type of RAM available, I could use it. My PC is using nearly 10 year old 2GB 800mhz modules.

I have (3x) 2GB 1600 MHz Corsair full DIMMs - TR3X6G1600C8D. They've been on the shelf for years. Will send them to you for free. Just PM me your snail-mail address. They aren't 4GB though, sorry.

I have (3x) 2GB 1600 MHz Corsair full DIMMs - TR3X6G1600C8D. They've been on the shelf for years. Will send them to you for free. Just PM me your snail-mail address. They aren't 4GB though, sorry.

I really want 16gm of RAM but maybe some faster RAM would at least help for a while... Would you think there would be any issues mixing 3 1600mhz modules with one 800mhz module?

I really want 16gm of RAM but maybe some faster RAM would at least help for a while... Would you think there would be any issues mixing 3 1600mhz modules with one 800mhz module?
The only issue would be that all the modules would probably run at 800 mHz as it's normal for RAM to run at the speed of the slowest component.

You'd be better off running the 3 1600mHz modules without the 800 mHz module in the mix and have 6 GB.

The only issue would be that all the modules would probably run at 800 mHz as it's normal for RAM to run at the speed of the slowest component.

You'd be better off running the 3 1600mHz modules without the 800 mHz module in the mix and have 6 GB.

Ah... okay... And I guess I could just grab a 1600mhz 4GB module for around $20 on Newegg and get 10gb... or get a 1600mhz 8GB module and have 14GB.

Last edited:
Was hoping my old gamer PC might have something useful for you. But appears to be 800 also. Sorry.

Are you sure you actually have DDR3? 800 MHz DDR3 is extremely uncommon, usually only used in OEM machines. Most MFGs started at 1066 or 1333 for DDR3.

Are you sure you actually have DDR3? 800 MHz DDR3 is extremely uncommon, usually only used in OEM machines. Most MFGs started at 1066 or 1333 for DDR3.

I downloaded a RAM utility and found that I actually have 1333mhz RAM... hmm... the confusion came from the frequency speed vs the transfer speed... lol

The actual speed on PC3-10666 modules (1333) is 666 MHz. If somewhere it said 800 MHz, you'd have PC3-12800 (1600) modules.

You might want to look at the label on the sticks themselves to verify, because applications like CPU-Z will only tell you what they're currently running at, and sometimes the SPD data.

The actual speed on PC3-10666 modules (1333) is 666 MHz. If somewhere it said 800 MHz, you'd have PC3-12800 (1600) modules.

You might want to look at the label on the sticks themselves to verify, because applications like CPU-Z will only tell you what they're currently running at, and sometimes the SPD data.

CPU-Z under the memory tab said DRAM Frequency 836mhz, but under SPD said 666 for 2 but 533 and 609 for the other two... something wrong? But RAMmon says 667 for all 4... must be something wrong with CPU-Z or something... Still 1600 RAM would still be an improvement for me...

Serial Presence Detect (SPD) tables are stored in a tiny ROM on the memory module which gives the various timings/clock rates supported.

Not all manufacturers implement SPD correctly, many often just enter one set of values and leave the rest of the table blank, or fill the extra space with nonsense. But just because timings/clock rates are listed in the SPD table, doesn't mean the memory is running at that speed. The speed its currently running at is listed under "DRAM Frequency" on the Memory tab, which in your case is 836 MHz, so this means that you likely have 1600 MHz DDR3 which is slightly overclocked.

Serial Presence Detect (SPD) tables are stored in a tiny ROM on the memory module which gives the various timings/clock rates supported.

Not all manufacturers implement SPD correctly, many often just enter one set of values and leave the rest of the table blank, or fill the extra space with nonsense. But just because timings/clock rates are listed in the SPD table, doesn't mean the memory is running at that speed. The speed its currently running at is listed under "DRAM Frequency" on the Memory tab, which in your case is 836 MHz, so this means that you likely have 1600 MHz DDR3 which is slightly overclocked.

Does CPU overclocking have any effect on the RAM frequency? Because I have my CPU overclocked to 3.5GHZ from 2.6 (I've ran it over a year like this and my CPU temps are good).

CPU overclocking most definitely can affect RAM frequency, especially if you're FSB/BCLK overclocking. This is why your memory is running at a weird speed.

Memory clocks are usually run off a divisor of the FSB/BCLK, so if you change either the memory or bus clocks, the other will be affected.

Back