• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: 8 Bit Ethernet NIC (UTP preferred)

dabone

Veteran Member
Looking for a 8 bit ethernet card, preferably with Twisted pair, (AUI will be considered so I could run a transceiver). I want to put this in a tandy 1000sx to transfer files easily between my modern machines and it.
NE1000 compatible is also prefered.

I'm located in the USA.

Thanks,
later,
dabone

No idea if it'll work in the Tandy 1000sx, but there is an NE1000A compatible currently listed on ebay, item # 280470778717.

I have an 8-bit WD card, mbbrutman says he's had them working in PCjrs, so they should work in anything. NE1000 compatible IIRC, but don't quote me on that. It wouldn't work in the box I ordered it for, so I have no use for it (IRQ conflict if I recall).

The Western digital (later purchased by SMC) 80xx series cards are very good, but are not NE1000 compatible. Which is actually a good thing - they perform much better. The packet driver is readily available and they are well known cards.

The only problem you might encounter is that although they have an RJ-45 jack on them for twisted pair networks, depending on the card and age it might not be the correct ratified twisted pair standard. My card was built right before the standard was ratified, and the RJ-45 output is close, but not close enough. If that happens you can use the AUI port and put a Centercom 210 transceiver on it to get fully compliant twisted pair output on it.

The card I'm offering up has hardwired IRQ/IO settings, iirc, so that's why I couldn't get it to work.

The card I'm offering up has hardwired IRQ/IO settings, iirc, so that's why I couldn't get it to work.

The settings are actually stored in a piece of EEPROM on the card. I got one of these, and you will need a "setup" utility in order to make it work. The zip containing this utility should be named "dia401". Also note that these cards may be quite picky when it comes to the packet driver in PC/XT systems. I got my working with an alternative driver in the Crynwr library named "PKT8000.COM". I think it comes from a file called "SMC.zip" or something like that. It's version 11.3.1.

Yes, except on my revision. The setup utility doesn't work, and there are jumper locations present. Instead of jumpers, however, someone soldered the points together to hardwire the settings. I've tried all of the packet drivers, and at least one of them detected it and tried to work, but due to the settings was dysfunctional. I've been around the block with this card, I know what's up, heh.

On many boxen this wouldn't matter, because many boxen have just one or two slots, and integrated peripherals/etc. (such as most Tandy boxes, as this would be used in). I was trying to use it on a 5160 with half a dozen other cards, however. >.>

You did try all sort of versions of the setup utility too?

For my card (product nr. WD8003-W), "Diagnose.exe" version 4.01 worked.

I honestly don't remember, but I doubt I resigned myself to just trying one version - if I have the desire to get a computer hooked up to ethernet via 8-bit ISA again and haven't sold this card, I will certainly make sure I do.

Back