• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Texas WTB: AT / 486 Case With at Least 4 5.25" Bays

Covers: Texas

Pickelhaube808

Experienced Member
I am currently looking to buy an AT case for a 486 system that has a lot of 5.25" expansion bays, as I want to build a system with a bunch of wacky accessories in the front or plainly load the thing up with tons of floppy drives.

After looking through eBay, LetsGo, Craigslist, and RecycledGoods, I am not really seeing much there, but maybe my search terms just aren't very good.

Anyone have a spare case they'd be willing to sell? 🙂

I’m working through a pile of machines now, might have something for you. Are you looking for something super clean or average? Desktop? Tower? Yellowing desired or no?

I’m working through a pile of machines now, might have something for you. Are you looking for something super clean or average? Desktop? Tower? Yellowing desired or no?
Clean would be nice, but my tolerance towards it would be dependent on the features the case has. I would prefer less yellowing, but if the case hits everything else I'm looking for, I am able to retrobrite it.

A tall tower with a bunch of expansion bays and the classic 486 features like a turbo button, tubular lock, and speed indicator would be ideal, but I would have to see what you have and see what I'm willing to make compromises on. :^)

Huh, even the taller cases I have only have 3x external 5-1/4 bays
I have a shell with 6 that I'm using, but I don't know how many it had accessible from the front - the front panel is long gone
I don't see any kind of branding on it. "Generic clone tower" brand :)

I have a Micron case with 6 5.25" external bays but the upper most bays are not very useful since it is difficult to find cables that reach.

I have used 48" ATA-33 cables with no issues. Floppy cables can be even longer. No foil required :alien:

Not going to delay building my 486 PC since I have mostly everything else ordered, so I bit the bullet and bought this beast of a case:

s-l1600.jpgs-l16002.jpgs-l16003.jpg

It's not the exact aesthetic I was looking for, but it has pretty much everything else I was looking for. It also has those ridiculous fold-out feet which I love the idea of. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay for a case, but considering it already has the power supply and some floppy and harddrives thrown in, it becomes a reasonable price again as I won't have to purchase them later.

Depending on whether or not I am able to retrobrite the front of the case, I may or may not pull an LGR and wrap the rest of the thing in woodgrain.

Does anybody have any idea what brand made this case? The seller posted about a dozen pictures of it on the listing but I still can't surmise the make of it.

Don't know the brand of case, but it appears to come with a Mitsumi 1X "pull out" CD-ROM drive.

I have one too. Had one back in the day too. It's my retro PC for making floppy disks for other machines.

So after looking around for cases with similar distinctive features, I think I have narrowed the make of my case down to AOpen. Closest I have found so far is the AOpen HX-08, but it seems to be an ATX descendant of mine.

Back