• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: AT Case and Power supply for a 486 Motherboard

Al Hartman

Veteran Member
Does anyone know of a place still selling these cases at a decent price?

eBay has various sellers at ridiculous prices. There's no reason these cases I used to pay $35 for should now sell for $99.00.

There has to be a supplier out there with some NOS they are selling at a decent price.

I have not seen any in a while (cheap NOS anyway) and I do look around. Most of what does show up are a few models somebody had in storage and decided to dump 25 years later.

You can find decent used AT case pretty cheap on ebay once in a while or locally.

You can find decent used AT case pretty cheap on ebay once in a while or locally.

As I said in my first message, not on eBay right now. The only cheap cases have ridiculous shipping costs, or are in really bad shape.

I'll keep watching, but someone out there has to have some cases. I might try to adapt an ATX case, but that will take more work than I want to put into it.

Most mid to full size ATX cases have mounting points for baby AT motherboards, that's probably your best bet if you want something new and cheap. You will have to remove the I/O shield or find an AT-ATX one (rare). You can get an AT-ATX adapter cable to connect the ATX PSU to your motherboard for about $8 on ebay, amazon or newegg.

Some of the larger ATX towers (by my trial fit) have room for a full sized AT board. Also, check out some of the industrial PC cases with more than the usual complement of slots.

There are cheap new Mini ATX cases on ebay currently, can you mount an AT motherboard in one of those? 486 boards are not that big unless you get an early one.

If I recall correctly the old (NOS) Leadman office pro 996-l case sold by Nextwarehouse.com (they were dumping these cases for $20 shipped on ebay a couple years ago or less) had an AT metal I/O plate you had to break off to install a normal ATX bezel. I purchased a bunch for old ATX systems I built.

A little clarification might help also. Are you looking to house full-size AT board? These things are very large and will not fit any but the largest ATX cases--in fact, there are very few later AT-sized cases that will work.

I don't know, Stone. I've got a 386 motherboard that's the "huge" style. I wouldn't be shocked if there were a similarly-sized 486 board, particularly one from a server.

This is another case where terminology has gotten sloppy. To me "AT" implies a case that will accommodate an IBM 5170 motherboard. What we're really talking about is an "XT" sized case, even though the popular press doesn't call it that, nicht wahr?

I think my local recycler has a brand new on in a box. I remember seeing it and almost buying it. I think it was $15, but I don't remember.

If it's under $30, do you want me to grab it? I could ship it to you at cost.

PM me your phone number and I can IM you a picture of it when I get to the store, then you can text me back if you want it.

Back