• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

The South WTB - Bell & Howell "Darth Vader" Apple II

Covers: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and West Viriginia.
Ok, cool! I don't mind some friendly haggling.

Price is really going to depend a LOT on condition... Ive learned Bell and Howells were notorious for having their cases etched with soldering irons due to grant requirements that the serial number of the motherboard match the at all times...finding one in pristine condition is rare.

Again, not expecting perfect here, but, maybe we could start at $700, but I'm willing to go higher depending upon condition, scratches, cracks, etc? I want to be fair and flexible.

Out of curiosity, I also have a few items I might be able to offer in trade... I have a black C64c with dual black 1571 drives, a bunch of miscellaneous expansion carts for it (SD2IEC, 64NIC+, ZoomFloppy, RS232 adapters, etc).

I also have a rare/early 1977 Sunnyvale "heavy sixer" Atari 2600 VCS, works fine, with joysticks, paddles and all I'm willing to trade.
Not interested in any trades really. Never been an over achiever with the Commodore. I do have an original V-20 with PET keys in the foam and original box that works perfectly. I also an SX-64
working perfectly as well. I just acquired a Fat PET I have not even started - it is dirty and needs TLC. The sweet part of keeping the B&H is I can fix it should something go awry, and it just goes up
in price. I thank you for your offer but it just doesn't get me out of my chair.

. I thank you for your offer but it just doesn't get me out of my chair.
Its true the price on these keeps going up. Probably why I dont own one as its just a rebadged II plus. I did however own two B&H disks II floppy drives and they both solder together for over $300 plus shipping.

Not interested in any trades really. Never been an over achiever with the Commodore. I do have an original V-20 with PET keys in the foam and original box that works perfectly. I also an SX-64
working perfectly as well. I just acquired a Fat PET I have not even started - it is dirty and needs TLC. The sweet part of keeping the B&H is I can fix it should something go awry, and it just goes up
in price. I thank you for your offer but it just doesn't get me out of my chair.
No worries! Ended up purchasing a really nice one on eBay -- super low serial, too, sub-1000. Lucked out!

(And yes, I got my glossy keys...heh)

Was at a school auction 15+ years ago where a lot of three of these went for 150. So 50 a pop. Now I see dirty, banged up units going well north of 500. Other than the color is there anything else special about these or are they just desirable variants to a collector?

Was at a school auction 15+ years ago where a lot of three of these went for 150. So 50 a pop. Now I see dirty, banged up units going well north of 500. Other than the color is there anything else special about these or are they just desirable variants to a collector?
The only desirable ones I have ever seen have an AV hookup system on the back. I have only seen photos of these and never one in person.
bandh-rear.jpg

The only desirable ones I have ever seen have an AV hookup system on the back. I have only seen photos of these and never one in person.
bandh-rear.jpg

Just paid $1600 for one, with the backplate, in excellent condition, sub-1000 serial number, from the original owner.. can't wait to give it a proper cleaning and show it off a bit!

Ouch
Just paid $1600 for one, with the backplate, in excellent condition, sub-1000 serial number, from the original owner.. can't wait to give it a proper cleaning and show it off a bit!
Ouch. You realise that loop paid just over 600 for it a couple of months ago on fleaBay and immediately flipped it on the same venue?

bandh-rear.jpg
To your point, yeah, I remember seeing these being auctioned off as junk back in the mid/late 90s..no one wanted them, even a pallette full of them, for $5.

That, and dumb terminals. My god, there were so many perfectly usable dumb terminals I saw back then, they would all but pay YOU to get rid of them. Now you can't find a working one for under $250 @ piece on eBay.

It's on my to-do list if time travel ever gets invented. Would you believe that, at one time, I owned both a NeXT cube AND a NeXTstation turbo, 100% working, pulled out of a surplus auction for $5/ea?

To your point, yeah, I remember seeing these being auctioned off as junk back in the mid/late 90s..no one wanted them, even a pallette full of them, for $5.

That, and dumb terminals. My god, there were so many perfectly usable dumb terminals I saw back then, they would all but pay YOU to get rid of them. Now you can't find a working one for under $250 @ piece on eBay.

It's on my to-do list if time travel ever gets invented. Would you believe that, at one time, I owned both a NeXT cube AND a NeXTstation turbo, 100% working, pulled out of a surplus auction for $5/ea?
Very true, but I didnt make that point.

Ouch

Ouch. You realise that loop paid just over 600 for it a couple of months ago on fleaBay and immediately flipped it on the same venue?

Good for him/her.. but I didn't buy it to flip it. This one's headed for shelf queen status. Didn't mind paying a bit more for it, given it's pedigree.

bandh-rear.jpg

For a collector, the B&H / Darth Vader models just represent rarity ontop of rarity. It's also not an Apple II clone like a Franklin or a Laser, as it is actually running Apple hardware under the hood.. Everything from the power supply on up is Apple-manufactured. The only thing that isnt Apple about the B&H is the backpack, and the sticker on the lid.

If I remember the lore correctly, Apple ran into a problem where they couldn't sell Apple IIs to certain schools because the unit didn't pass a UL certification; UL flunked Apple over the fact that kids could remove the lid of an Apple II while it was running, which represented a safety hazard..so, to get around this, Apple approached Bell & Howell, a prominent maker of A/V equipment for schools, and said, hey, make a giant A/V dongle for us that fits onto the back, and make it so that it effectively locks the lid...make it so that opening the thumbscrew to this backplate causes the power to turn off. That way, we can sell it to schools, legally. So they did.. Bell & Howell made the backplate dongle, painted the Apple II to match it, and sold it as a Bell & Howell to schools. Apple's happy, because they're making money on the sale to Bell & Howell, and getting their system into schools they otherwise could not infiltrate. :)

One of the other factors that drives the price on B&H / Darth Vader models is the presence (or lack thereof) of the serial number being visibly etched into the case. These units were commonly sold as part of lend/lease agreements which required the owner to physically engrave the serial number into the plastic somewhere, usually on the hood. Its totally common to see these with numbers literally gouged or melted via soldering iron into their hoods in accordance with the agreement. Finding a "clean" one which doesn't have a serial number etched into it is exceedingly rare. The more out-of-the-way the etching is, the better.

From what I can recall, Apple only manufactured these for a relatively short period of time, and by quantity, in the low ten thousands range. I think I've seen a grand total of two in my lifetime, in the wild.
The one I just purchased, which is currently en route, may even be a Bell & Howell Apple II, not an Apple II+ ..so, rare, on top of rare, on top of rare. It also has an unusual "48K" stamp on the badge, which I have not seen on other units. Case serial number is 977.

Last edited:
For a collector, the B&H / Darth Vader models just represent rarity ontop of rarity. It's also not an Apple II clone like a Franklin or a Laser, as it is actually running Apple hardware under the hood.. Everything from the power supply on up is Apple-manufactured. The only thing that isnt Apple about the B&H is the backpack, and the sticker on the lid.

If I remember the lore correctly, Apple ran into a problem where they couldn't sell Apple IIs to certain schools because the unit didn't pass a UL certification; UL flunked Apple over the fact that kids could remove the lid of an Apple II while it was running, which represented a safety hazard..so, to get around this, Apple approached Bell & Howell, a prominent maker of A/V equipment for schools, and said, hey, make a giant A/V dongle for us that fits onto the back, and make it so that it effectively locks the lid...make it so that opening the thumbscrew to this backplate causes the power to turn off. That way, we can sell it to schools, legally. So they did.. Bell & Howell made the backplate dongle, painted the Apple II to match it, and sold it as a Bell & Howell to schools. Apple's happy, because they're making money on the sale to Bell & Howell, and getting their system into schools they otherwise could not infiltrate. :)

One of the other factors that drives the price on B&H / Darth Vader models is the presence (or lack thereof) of the serial number being visibly etched into the case. These units were commonly sold as part of lend/lease agreements which required the owner to physically engrave the serial number into the plastic somewhere, usually on the hood. Its totally common to see these with numbers literally gouged or melted via soldering iron into their hoods in accordance with the agreement. Finding a "clean" one which doesn't have a serial number etched into it is exceedingly rare. The more out-of-the-way the etching is, the better.

From what I can recall, Apple only manufactured these for a relatively short period of time, and by quantity, in the low ten thousands range. I think I've seen a grand total of two in my lifetime, in the wild.
The one I just purchased, which is currently en route, may even be a Bell & Howell Apple II, not an Apple II+ ..so, rare, on top of rare, on top of rare. It also has an unusual "48K" stamp on the badge, which I have not seen on other units. Case serial number is 977.
Wow! Pictures please!

I’ve never seen one in real life. My school used standard apple II’s. Closest I’ve ever been was one on auction some 8+ years ago for 300.00. Which at the time I thought was high for just a black apple II so I passed. Future me to past me (Idiot!). Though it doesn’t have the same nostalgia to me as I never used one growing up. Now the apple II+ and IIgs and some 486 generic boxes with dos 6.22 and win 3.1.... that’s a different story.

Here are a couple pictures of my Bell and Howell Apple ][ Plus with a standard Disk ][, Bell and Howell Disk ][, and the even rarer Clear Light Superstar Disk ][. Bell and Howell and Clear Light Superstar were the only two companies that rebranded Apple ][ hardware. The Clear Light Superstar was used to control slide projectors for a multi-media presentation using a custom real time operating system... quite advanced for 1980!
Bell and Howell 1.jpgBell and Howell 2.jpg

I see you have that ultra rare Bell & Howell security system as well. I hear they have lasers as eyes. True?
6CB1256F-6D82-475A-96FA-DFCFD75459A5.jpeg

I see you have that ultra rare Bell & Howell security system as well. I hear they have lasers as eyes. True?
View attachment 1241822
That's Schwarzie (Schwarzenkatze), I just noticed him in the background when I posted this. Unfortunately I had to have him put down due to renal failure at age 17 last year.

Here's a better picture of him (hard to get a good picture of a black cat):

Schwarzie.jpg

Back on topic, I volunteer at a non-profit computer recycler in Carson City, we have a 42nd week of 1980 (8042 on the motherboard in ink) Apple ][ Plus that was originally a 16k system (original green label) that currently has a graphics corruption issue (possibly bad RAM) that I will be troubleshooting soon. It has glossy keycaps but isn't the Datanetics keyboard, so the textured keycaps must have come later in the run of the ][ Plus.

We might bundle a Disk ][ with it. Case and keyboard are very clean for the age of the system, I'll get some pics next time I'm there.

Never seen the clearlight superstar badge before. The badges on my B&H drives were only in the bottom left of the drive face.

For a collector, the B&H / Darth Vader models just represent rarity ontop of rarity.

Nah, a B&H is not that impressive to me. Id like one but not that badly. For me owning an Apple /// seemed a much harder feat. And I finally got one. Two actually; I restored and sold one to cover the cost I paid for both units. https://photos.app.goo.gl/bkPimSDssBAbjx1i9
Mine was even upgraded to an Apple /// PLUS board. That in my opinion is a rare computer. There are plenty of B&H computers out there. They are just apple II plus's and I really like the II plus and it was my first Apple II.. so I got that covered already.

Does anyone actually call it the darth vader model? That moniker was thrown around to cover one of the Atari 2600 console variants. Seems people are misinterepreting names on things.

Last edited:
Back