• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: early revision IBM CGA

VileR

Veteran Member
I'm looking for an early-revision IBM Color/Graphics Adapter (made before they modified the composite output stage to give 16 monochrome shades on the 5155's internal monitor).

Just as importantly... this is for a 5160, so it should have the narrow metal bracket to match; not the wider bracket that fits in a 5150 slot.

The difference between the early/late revisions is shown here - http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/early/5150_compare_cga_adapter.jpg

Or in other words:
CGAcompare.jpg

Some known P/Ns for the early revision- : 1501486 (PCB# 1501453), 1804472, 1804456 (possibly not suitable- wide 5150 bracket?)
For the late revision (I already have one): 1501981 (PCB# 1501982), 6278550, 6133807, 1504910 (unsure about this one!)

Will pay a reasonable price + shipping. :)

I'm looking for an early-revision IBM Color/Graphics Adapter (made before they modified the composite output stage to give 16 monochrome shades on the 5155's internal monitor).

Just as importantly... this is for a 5160, so it should have the narrow metal bracket to match; not the wider bracket that fits in a 5150 slot.
Of the three major categories below, I thought that you would be seeking category #2 for your 5160.

1. Early revision IBM CGA card, intended for use with IBM CGA monitor. Wide bracket.
2. Later revision IBM CGA card, intended for use with IBM CGA monitor. Narrow bracket.
3. Later revision IBM CGA card, customised by IBM for use in an IBM 5155. Narrow bracket.

Of the three major categories below, I thought that you would be seeking category #2 for your 5160.

1. Early revision IBM CGA card, intended for use with IBM CGA monitor. Wide bracket.
2. Later revision IBM CGA card, intended for use with IBM CGA monitor. Narrow bracket.
3. Later revision IBM CGA card, customised by IBM for use in an IBM 5155. Narrow bracket.
I do have one of #2 (P/N 6278550; latest date code on the chips is 8649). But this categorization seems incomplete - I'm looking for "#1.5": Early revision of the composite output stage, with a narrow bracket. The ones manufactured roughly between the introduction of the 5160 (which necessitated the XT-style bracket), and the introduction of the 5155 (which begat the later-style composite output stage, although all later CGA cards seem to have inherited that, even those not intended for the 5155).

IIRC, there are at least two or three users here with a 5160/early-style CGA combination, so I don't suppose these cards are exceedingly rare.

Back