• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Mid Atlantic WTB: Floppy Disk Notcher

Covers: New York, Pensylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC.

bladamson

Veteran Member
I know, I know, I could just use a hole punch, but I am anal. Lol.

Shipping to West Virginia (26802). I can settle up with PayPal. Please PM me with your offer if you have one you'd like to get rid of.

Thanks!!

Don't people normally use a metal "nibbling tool" for this? They are pretty cheap on amazon (<$15) if you don't get any sellers.

Hmm, if there is one out there that cuts a 1/4" notch, that would work. The ones I've seen are narrower than that, though.

I bought a square hole punch off amazon that was advertised as 1/4", thinking that I could make a guide for it to notch disks, but it ended up actually being about 3/16. Grumble.

I don't know of any system that uses single-sided floppy disks but relies on the index hole. Not saying that there are none, but Apple II, C64, and the usual suspects don't. The PC does use the index hole, but used double-sided disks right from the start.

Never though that some didn't use the index.

The BBC micro was used with single sided drives and uses the index which is probably why in the UK, notchers were not something I ever came across.

I don't know of any system that uses single-sided floppy disks but relies on the index hole. Not saying that there are none, but Apple II, C64, and the usual suspects don't. The PC does use the index hole, but used double-sided disks right from the start.
The IBM PC didn't get double sided drives until 1982 and double sided drives weren't the default until 1983 alongside the introduction of the XT.

Adding a second index hole wasn't complex. Just remember to pull the cookie out before punching the new hole. A second hole in the cookie would confuse matters a lot.

I've never had to take the cookie out. I usually just line it up with another disk and use a round hole punch.

I am trying to make nice pro-ish-looking reproductions of the Ultima games and Eamons that I used to have, though, with fancy laser printed labels and factory-looking notches. I know, it's silly, but we all have our peculiarities I guess lol.

I guess if nobody has a notcher they want to part with, I could just add a write protect switch to my drives and not punch the disks at all, but ehhhhh.

Yeah, and they want €83,30 international shipping to the US. I tried to get one there several months ago. :(

How do you ensure the index hole is in the right place so you don't end up with two index holes ?
The Apple II doesn't use the index hole. The spindle motor speed has to be adjusted *just so*, too, using a strobe. It's kind of a pita.

Last edited:
Lee I use a pretty good quality punch. You have to line it up so its not brainless but it cost me $12.00. Unless you find an actual disk notcher by accident dont pay the absurd rates, Yeah its some work but so what. Life is pain... I think you know this.

What brand/model punch do you use?

I don't mind having to use another floppy to index the punch. I just can't get them to look really pro when cutting them with a box knife or scissors. .... And it would be a pain to do 200 disks that way....... Lol.

Factory-standard 8" "flippies" with 2 index holes and 2 write-protect notches are not terribly uncommon. It wouldn't surprise me to find the same in a 5.25" factory-fresh disk.

Lee I use this one:

I Put a piece of thick double sided tape right behind the punch so it aligns to the disk edge. You still have to line it up yourself I use the notch on another disk as reference.
Im sure a real disk notcher is easier but this suits my needs fine and its built extrememly well. I used other punches which bent and broke in my hand.. this one I have had a couple years already and use regularly.
495031-4-1.jpg

Back