• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB Internal SCSI Hard Drives for Apples

jrehmer

Experienced Member
I'm looking for older internal SCSI drives <9GB that are compatible with old Apple II's and Macs, looking for three or four drives. Thanks!

Bump. Still looking for some 50-pin SCSI drives with Apple firmware... There's got to be someone who has a few that are willing to part with them for less than eBay dollars isn't there? :)

I might have an Apple 250MB, but I don't know if it's compatible with the Apple II. It is an Apple drive, however.

They don't necessarily have to be compatible with the Apple II, though if they are SCSI and work on a Mac chances are they're going to work fine with the Apple II SCSI cards, or at least that has been my personal experience thus far.

I think I've got some somewhere but no idea what size; I'll have to do some 'mining'...

Hehe... I miss 'mining'! When I was younger I used to work at a small town PC repair shop, and well, we did more collecting and stockpiling than we sold, but it was always awesome having a huge pile of system to rummage through looking for various parts. That was always how I discovered all the "goodies" missed by others.

If either of you guys have/find any drives shoot me a PM with how much you want and an approximate shipping amount to St. Louis MO 63102. Thanks!

I wish I could edit my original post because I'd like to clarify what I'm really after. I'd like two drives which are at ~250MB or smaller for the Apple II's and two to three drives in pretty much any size as long as they are 50-pin SCSI and have Apple firmware.

I think I have some but don't know about the "Apple firmware". Is there a visual indication?

Yes, they will have an Apple logo on the sticker or the drive itself will be branded as an Apple.

I think I have a few...I ended up tossing a bunch because they had head crashes or squealing spindle bearings.

You don't really need the Apple firmware for the drives. The Apple II series tools don't care, and neither do newer versions of Apple Drive Setup. The reason why smaller SCSI drives with the Apple firmware are becoming hard to find is that Apple almost exclusively used Quantum drives that were plagued with stiction.

I know that I don't need the Apple firmware to use the drives, but I've been having a lot of problems using non-Apple firmware drives with A/UX, even after being configured and updated with the modified Apple Drive Setup. I've had several occasions now where I'll setup the drive with Drive Setup and it will be recognized fine by the A/UX installer and it will install, but will not boot thereafter. Once it won't boot if I boot from a Mac OS disk it will no longer see the drive either until I rerun Apple Drive Setup. I have not had the problem with any drives with Apple firmware.

That is pretty odd considering A/UX's version of Apple HD SC setup doesn't check for the ROM either! A/UX is a pain in the behind to setup, its very picky about hardware. Follow the below instructions carefully, and stick to the patched 7.5.3 version of Apple HD SC setup. Its likely the MacDriver partition is too new, or other undocumented changes in how Drive Setup formats/partitions drives vs. the older HD SC Setup is causing problems. Also remove any NuBus video cards, I had a ton of problems running A/UX with anything but the built in Mac IIci video (painfully slow, but it worked).

http://www.floodgap.com/retrotech/os/aux/

Back