• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

The South WTB: Toshiba T3200SX Dead or Alive

Covers: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and West Viriginia.

compaqportableplus

Veteran Member
Anybody have a Toshiba T3200SX in decent physical condition? It doesn’t have to work, just needs to be complete.

Willing to pay up to $125 plus shipping if working, and up to $75 if not working or untested.

Thank you!

Okay, I think I found one elsewhere, hopefully it arrives in one piece…

Consider this thread closed.

I paid $300 for a dead one... just needed a replacement HDD, caps on the display, and an overall cleaning - but yeah, these things are getting HOT!! I got lucky on the drive (I have a STRICT "NO SSD/CF ADAPTER" rule on my vintage systems), I had a good used Conner on-hand. Hope yours is working out for you!!

I paid $300 for a dead one... just needed a replacement HDD, caps on the display, and an overall cleaning - but yeah, these things are getting HOT!! I got lucky on the drive (I have a STRICT "NO SSD/CF ADAPTER" rule on my vintage systems), I had a good used Conner on-hand. Hope yours is working out for you!!
Hey, great to see you here!

Yeah, they can be quite expensive machines! They’re extremely desirable, and for good reason.

I actually managed to snag a parts system that was non working super cheap, like $60 buy it now on eBay. But the working one I bought was well over $200. Worth every penny though!

Mine is working great, and yes, I don’t use modern solid state solutions either! I will go to great lengths to acquire and repair vintage drives to use in my systems. I installed an original 40MB Conner in my Toshiba that I refurbished myself. It just really completes the package having a real period-correct drive in a system.

I still need to recap my plasma panel. I did discover some leaking caps in the power supply that I replaced though.

By the way, I’m the person that sold you the replacement hinge for your T3200SX!

What's the casing like? I had one a few years ago and the plastic was so brittle it would break even when you looked at it!

Shockingly, at least on mine, the plastic isn't brittle at all. I preemptively reinforced the hinges with self-mixing epoxy and plastic welded a few hairline cracks, but other than that, she's rock-solid!

What's the casing like? I had one a few years ago and the plastic was so brittle it would break even when you looked at it!
It’s not overly brittle on mine I wouldn’t say. In fact, I would say it’s quite good for its age. The hinge mounts do like to shear off though. I had to make a somewhat crude (but permanent) fix to the hinge mounts on mine.

It’s not overly brittle on mine I wouldn’t say. In fact, I would say it’s quite good for its age. The hinge mounts do like to shear off though. I had to make a somewhat crude (but permanent) fix to the hinge mounts on mine.
Sounds like you got a good one! Just about everything sheared off on mine from screwmounts to the hinges. To make matters worse, someone had cleaned it with some type of industrial cleaning fluid which smelled terrible and ultimately led to the demist of the plasma screen. I ended up donating it to a mate as a parts machine which was a pity.

Man, I thought I was a sucker when I paid $130 (free shipping at least) for an untested T3100e/40... overall it seems they're slightly less desirable to collectors since it has a 286 w/ CGA vs the 386 w/ VGA in the T3200SX, but can still command huge prices on eBay.

At least I got lucky because aside from a dead CMOS battery and a temperamental floppy drive it works flawlessly! Casing is in good shape, the screen looks great w/ no lines running across the display (which seems to be a common issue with these laptops) and even the original 40MB Conner HDD works - complete with a French installation of MS-DOS! :D

Man, I thought I was a sucker when I paid $130 (free shipping at least) for an untested T3100e/40... overall it seems they're slightly less desirable to collectors since it has a 286 w/ CGA vs the 386 w/ VGA in the T3200SX, but can still command huge prices on eBay.

At least I got lucky because aside from a dead CMOS battery and a temperamental floppy drive it works flawlessly! Casing is in good shape, the screen looks great w/ no lines running across the display (which seems to be a common issue with these laptops) and even the original 40MB Conner HDD works - complete with a French installation of MS-DOS! :D
There's a Contura 3/25 on eBay RIGHT NOW by the way! Yeah, the 286 models are not nearly as desireable - I only bought my T3200SX because I had one as a kid and I missed that machine enough to pay $300 for a dead one! It's a shame so many of these were destroyed... the one I had suffered a drive failure in 2001 so I junked it - but it was utterly worthless at the time and there was no community around dedicated to preserving them...

There's a Contura 3/25 on eBay RIGHT NOW by the way! Yeah, the 286 models are not nearly as desireable - I only bought my T3200SX because I had one as a kid and I missed that machine enough to pay $300 for a dead one! It's a shame so many of these were destroyed... the one I had suffered a drive failure in 2001 so I junked it - but it was utterly worthless at the time and there was no community around dedicated to preserving them...
There's actually two right now, but one of them is flat out overpriced and the other (the listing I presume you're talking about) gets the Buy It Now price right, but asking $80 for shipping is utterly ridiculous based on what I've sold myself. A couple more did sell for fairly decent prices back in November of last year so I'm sure the right one will come along eventually...

Sorry to thread jack, but I have some spare T3200SX parts I'm willing to ship to a good home for just the price of shipping:

Exterior plastics in OK shape
Non-working motherboard, working RAM board
Working plasma screen, but has a vertical line down 1 side

Let me know if anyone is interested in these parts. I've had them laying around forever, but have no intent on using them.

Back