• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB. TRS-80 Model IV

tezza

Veteran Member
Hi,

As some of the regulars here will know, I’ve been slowly building up a small collection of classic computers. I’ve managed to get most of what I want here in New Zealand but a few models have proved to be elusive “down under”.

One of these is a TRS-80 Model IV. I’m resigned to the fact I’m going to have to look to places where this model is a lot more common and just swallow (like a dead rat!) the huge international shipping bill.

Rather than just bidding on e-Bay for these as they come up. I thought I’d see if any members here have one for sale. I’d prefer to deal with a regular contributor to these forums who I know, and who knows how to care from these machines rather than a faceless second-hand dealer out to flick on for simple profit.

I’m looking for a Model IV that’s working (including keyboard and drives) and in good condition, visually and mechanically. Equally important, the seller will need to be prepared to pack it properly for international shipping (i.e. being dropped from the cargo door of a 747!). I know packing to this extent is a pain but I’m happy to pay some extra for the hassle. The unit can be 115v or 240v. I have a 115v step-down transformer here.

Anyway, PM me if you think you can help and we can take it from there. If I can’t get a Model IV, I’d be interested in a Model III, so if you have one of the latter and it fits the above, then PM also.

Tez

Ah, just came back from storage yesterday and picked up a bunch of stuff, but didnt take the TRS-80 Model IV. I'd still have to test it out and see if it works, but I believe about 2-3 keys are missing from the keypad. I usually try drive down to storage every Saturday (is a 3hr drive), so hopefully I'd be able to see if it works by Saturday.

Here pics of the Model III I have (although I believe its in my storage as well). I'd have to test it out and see if that works as well.

EDIT- Ah, didnt see that a couple of keys were missing in the Model III in the pic as well.

Attachments

• 100_0927.jpg
    100_0927.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0926.jpg
    100_0926.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
Ah, just came back from storage yesterday and picked up a bunch of stuff, but didnt take the TRS-80 Model IV. I'd still have to test it out and see if it works, but I believe about 2-3 keys are missing from the keypad. I usually try drive down to storage every Saturday (is a 3hr drive), so hopefully I'd be able to see if it works by Saturday.

Here pics of the Model III I have (although I believe its in my storage as well). I'd have to test it out and see if that works as well.

EDIT- Ah, didnt see that a couple of keys were missing in the Model III in the pic as well.

Thanks for responding. I'll certainly need a unit where nothing is missing and the case is clean and tidy as there is no chance of getting spare parts down here. Shipping will be astronomical so to make it worthwhile I'm looking for something which is in excellent condition.

Tez

Last edited:
Heh, wow just checked your location. Very understandable, hopefully you will be able to find one, the only one I have in excellent condition with all the peripherals is a Model I but thats part of my (and yours as well) collection.

Nice collection by the way, love the Challenger.

Nice collection by the way, love the Challenger.

Thanks. The collection is nearly complete. I have enough units to keep me busy just maintaining them and space is certainly at a premium now. A Sorcerer and an Apple Lisa would be nice but at the prices they go for (a broken Lisa 2 went to $1300 NZ ($850 US) here just recently) I think I might have to flag those ones.

If I saw an IMB XT at a reasonable price on out local auction site, I'd also be tempted.

Tez

Back