• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTT: Various possibilities for a 1/2 height cream face 5.25" 1.2MB Floppy Drive

WBST

Veteran Member
Need to upgrade my IBM 4689-001 to -002 1.2MB capability. I have various working 1.44MB 3.5" FDs (plus the working 360KB cream face 5.25" FD too) to offer in exchange. Alternatively, I have Zip, Jaz and Syjet drives to offer, with adjustments of course.

Have you considered a combo drive in that half-height slot (Teac FD505, for example)?

My own 4869s house everything from the 505s to various 3.5 and 5.25 drives as well as a floppytape or two and even a 3" CF2 drive.

I've replaced the PSUs in a couple to handle DDS and CD-ROM writers with SCSI.

Have you considered a combo drive in that half-height slot (Teac FD505, for example)?

My own 4869s house everything from the 505s to various 3.5 and 5.25 drives as well as a floppytape or two and even a 3" CF2 drive.

I had a FD505 years ago and it ended up being a massive POS, neither drive in it works now. I'm guessing you had better luck with them?

Yup, bought a couple of cartons of them, adapted for 1.2M 3.5" use. Customer had no complaints and still have a good portion of one carton left. I have them on a couple of systems and can't complain.

FWIW, there were several versions of the 505. Some really awful; others much better.

I use IBM 3510 enclosures for CD-ROM drives/HDs (some with the Wide HD68 external connectors) and an IBM 7210-015 external CD-ROM drive too. I even have SCSI Zips, Jazs (1GB and 2GB) and 1.5GB Syjets (both internal IDE and SCSI, and external) and a Parallel Port 1GB SparQ. And then there's the SCSI to 2-slot (Type2 + Type1) PCMCIA enclosure with a 512MB hardcard. I'm not short of "externals". But thanks for the suggestions.

You may have realised by now I'm a total pack rat. ;)

Cheers,
Tim (a.k.a. WBST = Warm Beer Swilling Tim)

Last edited:
I've still got a couple of the things that I haven't used. Box is just labeled something like "switching power supply) and supplies +5 and +12--generic one. Physically smaller than the 4869 supply, but can't say much more than that. I may have bought them from Jameco back in the day, sometime in the 1990s.

Back