• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

X10 Home Automation Modules (Attn: TRS-80 CoCo users)

The CM11A controller is RS232 and works on any machine with RS232. There are newer modules that work with modern "PCs" over USB.

The parts you are selling will work with, but don't require a computer. So they are useful to anyone who wants to play with this interesting technology.

X10 is a total blast.
If you can get around having to De-noise your house wiring (mainly EMI from cheap or poorly designed power supplies in electronics and AC adapters that didn't exist in the past) you can control just about anything without having to install hardwrired or IoT modules and controllers. The only big drawback is it's a unidirectional protocol with no signal protection, so don't be stupid and hang stuff like locks, coffee makers or other appliances you typically wish not to possibly be accidentially turned on.
Otherwise yeah, the tech is almost 40 years old and pretty much every computer platform had an X10 interface or control software.

Oddly I got an email from X10.com (the really shady website that's legitimately associated with the real manufacturer (IP holder?) just today telling that you can now control X10 from your smartphone!

De-noising the power lines is something that needs to be done anyway. It clears up a ton of other mystery problems with WiFi and cell phones and anything else wireless. Plus your radio-listening neighbors will much appreciate it. And, at least in the US, it's the law. Most people are oblivious of all these things.

X10's always been kinda shady since the late 90's when they started putting up those "this tiny camera can go ANYWHERE" banner ads (come on, I know we've all seen them) on websites and their core market was pervy men. X10 automation has not been an innovator for a long, long time.

I bought their stuff starting around their introduction and finally retired the last pieces about 10 years ago. It was great early on. I even had a TRS-80 Model I console with an EPROM mapped in the empty space between ROM and RAM that would boot into a control program for the X-10 I wrote in assembly language. Much better than the clock they offered, and was quite reliable. I hated the lack of two-way communications, and so as Z-wave and WiFi control modules started coming out, I switched.

I regret losing that TRS-80, and then getting rid of the Apparat EPROM burner.

I *think* you can get Leviton branded X10 modules that are two-way. I seem to remember programming for them.

Forgot about those. They were very pricey IIRC.

Yes. At least twice the price of equivalent X10 branded modules. But if the specs are correct, they were well worth the cost. Much more versatility than, yet full compatibility with, the X10 stuff. Decora was the brand name, I think.

Pretty much all X10 (even the Insteon and Leviton stuff) is problematic. I know all the ways to make it work better. Pretty much the more you add to worse it gets (black holes) and the older it gets the worse the performance. Add things like modern electronics and the AC environment becomes even worse. I finally gave up on all power line communications. I actually have the RS CP290 (also the CM11A, PL513 and TW523). I once had the Heathkit Computer interface (like the PL513).

I don't know... I've been using it in my entire residence for almost 20 years now and the problems I've had are minor. SCRs that die and 4-button RF wall switches that lose their programming because the battery is loose are the only real problems I've had. But then I keep my power clean for other reasons.

Same here. Aside from the odd SCR and those crappy buttons on the wireless remotes I haven't had many problems in more than thirty years; 95% reliability's good enough for me and they've solved quite a few issues for me aside from the usual lighting control (but it's also pretty useful to be able to velcro one or more wireless light switches anywhere you like on the wall). I've got pretty well all the computer interfaces including Micromint's PLIX but never really found a use for them.

Last edited:
Back