• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XBOX One problems already

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
So people stood in line for hours to get the new XBOX. Get it home and problems arrise. Just like the original XBOX from 2001 the disc drives are giving problems! Just lke the 360 with the heating problems a red ring of death.
And the PS4's have the heating issue as well.

So never buy the 1st release of a new gaming system or anything else for that matter.

Last edited:
The 21st century, where quality control is the responsibility of the end user. I stopped buying consoles back with the PS2 mind, so I don't have much room to talk.

So people stood in line for hours to get the new XBOX. Get it home and problems arrise. Just like the original XBOX from 2001 the disc drives are giving problems! Just lke the 360 with the heating problems a red ring of death.
And the PS4's have the heating issue as well.

So never buy the 1st release of a new gaming system or anything else for that matter.

Never buy the 1st Release of anything is generally is a good game plan :)

Remember that the lowest bidder for parts get's the contract. Pay US $499.99 for this thing when it contains a $100.00 worth of parts! Yep so if I buy one i get one a few years later after it has gone through a few revs. If I get one at all.

Wow. Hadn't heard that yet but interesting (probably totally not unexpected). The only catch is as the development gets cheaper also over time they start skimping on parts. These may not be an issue since they're both a vanilla brand system and I don't think any of them tout backwards compatibility (my biggest reason not to care about them). If anything I'm sorta looking for the impact to buy a cheap ps3 to replace one of my two broken ones... given that should probably also be my "sign".

Anyway the crap about newer gens reducing features. Ah here we go (took a bit to find). Differences in the released PS3 models over time. I'm not sure if Microsoft did similar.

Even reliable consoles have a small percentage of units DOA, and with the internet everybody knows about those DOA units in short order.

My "newest" consoles is the original Xbox I traded a C64 + 1541 for a few years back just before everybody was ditching XBOX games on ebay cheap. I also have a Dreamcast and PSX (original). Console games have become as difficult as normal PC games (millions of button combos you need to memorize, long drawn out levels) so that newer ones do not fill the need I used to have for them (an easy to pick up not much thinking going on fun time killer). Simple games like those you found on the early cart based consoles were great for time killing fun.

Its an awesome console, really cant understand the value they have crammed into a black box, I have only used 360 games on disk so far as I have electronic versions on the one's games.

Its lucky for the unlucky xbox one owners that MS have a really good Service system in place in the UK at least :)

For those who are thinking should I, just do it, so much faster than the 360.

My worse mistake: buying a PS3
It will not be repeated.
Glory to PS2. And emulators.
-
Seriously, the last good console (the best ever imo) was the PS2.
Since nowadays PCs overrate even next-gen, why should we waste 500€ for a console when we could buy GTX660ti for less (like i did)?

I don't think any of them tout backwards compatibility

For the first time in a while, I'm in a position to afford one of these on launch day, but learned to my utter shock a few months ago that neither the XBOne nor PS4 have any backward compatibility at all. Not even an emulator attempt, or a "play your games remotely over the internet" cloud service or something. Worse, the system I was actually interested in (PS4) doesn't even play CDs, MP3s, or acts as a DNLA streaming media player like the PS3 does (in an effort to force people to pay for their streaming services). Very short-sighted.

I can sort-of understand why there's no backward compatibility -- both are a completely different architecture, and the previous generations are advanced enough that it would be difficult to emulate them at a reasonable speed. But geez, throw me a bone here. The PS3 plays PS1 games; it is definitely possible to emulate a PS2 on the PS4, or the original Xbox on the XBOne.

But if there were backwards compatibility, then you wouldn't have to give them more money re-buying all your old games.

I'm going to wait until January and pick up a 250gb XBOX360. Should be around $100 used by then. The newer 360s have more features than the original (wifi, HDMI) than the old white ones, and they live longer. And used games will be cheap, because every kid who got the XBOX ONE for Christmas will be dumping his 360 and accessories in January. May get a PS3 as well. I usaully stay a generation behind. Maybe next spring I'll get something with Windows 7.

The newer 360s have more features than the original (wifi, HDMI) than the old white ones, and they live longer.

Your absolutly right, we had a few white ones go wrong, there are 3 xbox's in our house ! and the black ones have not failed once.

Maybe next spring I'll get something with Windows 7.

I would not bother :(

I can't understand the whole backwards compatibility problem. The XBOX One uses an X86 CPU. The 360 used a Power PC CPU yet it was able to play original XBOX games. So in theory but why would you want to, the XBOX One could play original XBOX games. In theory!!!

For the first time in a while, I'm in a position to afford one of these on launch day, but learned to my utter shock a few months ago that neither the XBOne nor PS4 have any backward compatibility at all. Not even an emulator attempt, or a "play your games remotely over the internet" cloud service or something. Worse, the system I was actually interested in (PS4) doesn't even play CDs, MP3s, or acts as a DNLA streaming media player like the PS3 does (in an effort to force people to pay for their streaming services). Very short-sighted.

That's an interesting comment you made on the DNLA streaming. Does the ps3 stream media from itself or you mean just accessing a dlna server from the ps3 and the ps4 doesn't support accessing my server at home now? (That's a deal killer for sure).

Ps4 does support remote play (so did the ps3 although they hardly implemented it) via the PSP. The problem I saw (besides none of the games I cared to play supporting it) was I don't have the same buttons on my older psp so .. well I'm not really sure what the hell I was supposed to do for half the functions that required me to hold down r2 or l2 (Vita maybe can do better?). The other catch that I didn't think was going to be the case with ps3 remote play and I'm assuming ps4 is the same, was that if you set it to remote play it locks the console into remote play mode. Probably good for folks with cable or another streaming device but in my case I was hoping I could play a game while my kids or wife watch a video or streaming dlna media from the ps3 at the same time which isn't the case.

Here's another comparison between the 3 current gen consoles. but it doesn't specify any streaming off a local server that I'm seeing (both 360 and ps3 do that currently). On the bright side at least xbox users will be able to play blurays now which was the other obvious decision for many buyers of the ps3 vs 360 war. I found it sorta cheap that Nintendo was too lazy to let you watch DVDs on the Wii (it actually can with some custom firmware despite the built-in claim that it can't.. I guess they just didn't want to pay for a codec).

This is the other device that went quiet in the news but could almost be interesting. The Vita TV device. A lot of early speculations seem like it's almost an extra $100 ps4 for another room (stream the game from your real ps4). I haven't seen much factual annoucements though but they indicate it could potentially stream/play ps3 games.

Last edited:
I gave up trying to get the new consoles after I got my Gamecube 10 years ago. Every game system I've bought since then has gone back in time, not forward.

I know my girlfriend is looking forward to getting a PS4 in the next few months, since they're releasing a new Kingdom Hearts game soon and she loves that series. Me? I'll stick to my desktop to play the new games being developed. I'll probably have to build a new machine just to play Fallout 4 whenever it comes out (we're counting down to something Fallout related, just not sure if it's only a trailer: http://thesurvivor2299.com/)

That's an interesting comment you made on the DNLA streaming. Does the ps3 stream media from itself or you mean just accessing a dlna server from the ps3 and the ps4 doesn't support accessing my server at home now? (That's a deal killer for sure).

I run PS3 Media Server on my desktop and it streams media to my PS3 connected to my 55" TV. The PS3 is a DNLA client. The PS4 is not (or rather, will not).

Ps4 does support remote play (so did the ps3 although they hardly implemented it) via the PSP.

I don't think that's right; the PSP can only remote play PS3. PS Vita can remote play PS4.

Last system I bought at launch for me was the PS2. No matter how well I took care of it stopped reading games around 6 months later (it didn't played those purple bottom discs either). Days later I took another PS2 apart and saw how fragile the whole cd rom drive was and thought it was a joke. What is hilarious is that one day a friend of mine and I went to a junk yard looking for a car spare parts, after a while my buddy somehow spotted 3 NES units that were leaning right outside a station wagon. God knows how long they've been sitting there taking hot sunny days, rain, snow, dirt, etc.

My friend was like take them, and I was like nah dude they are junk. Long story short, I got the 3 systems for free, took them home, cleaned them and guess what, they all worked. Even they horrible 72 pin ZIF connectors came back to life after a good cleaning.

NES's, with a little care for the ZIF's, never cease to amaze me in terms of longevity. However, it doesn't hurt to get a top-loader either.

Back