• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Xircom PE3-10BT on eBay (220652112965) cheap! (4.99 Buy it now!)

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
Disclaimer: Not my auction.

These things are terribly handy for getting a machine on the network. Requires just an ordinary parallel port like those found on PCs, XTs, Jrs, clones, etc. Works on bi-directional and later parallel ports too.

There is another one listed at the moment new in the box, but it's a bit pricier: 170466455879

Nabbed! I've been looking for one with the PS/2 power tap for a while, so that I might have an Ethernet connection from my Compaq SLT/286 laptop.

More Xircoms

More Xircoms

Disclaimer: I have no business or personal interest in this auction ...

These are on the wrong side of being overpriced, but if you need one they are available. And the seller has multiples:

They have the 'phantom power' tap that uses the keyboard port for power; you probably should find a compatible "wall wart" and use that instead. Details on the Xircom PE3-10BT can be found here:

If you are trying to get a machine on the network that doesn't have ISA slots, this is the way to go. I've used them on a wide variety of machines and have not had any problems.

Mike

I know this is out there somewhere but it's buried further than my eyes have found, but what's the difference in a PE2-bt vs PE3-bt? Is it the power plug or something more?

They look similar but I would venture that the PE2 is an older version of the chipset. The packet driver might work just as well, but nobody has reported on it one way or the other.

The only way we figured out that these things worked is that somebody found one and tried it. If you have access to a cheap PE2, go for it ..

Mike

What's the difference between Xircom PT3-16CTP and the PE3-10BT?Can I use the first in my toshiba T1000 or Tandy 1000HX ?

The CTP is token ring which is a different type of networking than the standard ethernet that most folks use today. If you had a token ring (BNC) network and had all your computers networked to where they need to make a circle or have a terminator you could still do it that way but you'd be assuming all your systems had token ring cards not ethernet network cards.

The CTP is token ring which is a different type of networking than the standard ethernet that most folks use today. If you had a token ring (BNC) network and had all your computers networked to where they need to make a circle or have a terminator you could still do it that way but you'd be assuming all your systems had token ring cards not ethernet network cards.

I think you're mixing up token ring and thinwire Ethernet. Any of the token ring cards I've used had either a DB9 connector or an RJ45. I've never seen token ring implemented with a physical cable ring. Normally you use either a MAU, which is kind of a passive hub, or a token ring hub. Token ring would only be useful if you have the correct equipment to connect it to something.

Another cheap one - $10 with shippping!

Another cheap one - $10 with shippping!

Here is a cheap one - $10, shipping included. (But the seller doesn't have perfect feedback.)

-Mike

The Xircom PE3s seem to be coming out of the woodwork ...

ebay: 290767684658

That is for two of them, relatively new in the box but one is missing the "phantom" power cable. But with a starting bid of $20 and a buy-it-now of $30 for both, the price is pretty good. Buy one for yourself, pass the other one onto a friend!

Remember, these work on almost any PC ever made. (There is an oddball Olivetti out there with a non-standard parallel port that it does not work on.)

Mike

(Disclaimer: I don't see on eBay. This is not my auction.)

Do the Xircom's have any trouble working with LPT2? The Tandy 1000, SX & TX have the card edge port which does not support even nybble mode, but they have ISA slots for a parallel port card.

Do the Xircom's have any trouble working with LPT2? The Tandy 1000, SX & TX have the card edge port which does not support even nybble mode, but they have ISA slots for a parallel port card.

Are you sure they don't support nibble mode? They can receive no status from the printer at all?

Either way, the Xircom doesn't care what port it is on. It just needs to have all of the wires/pins supported, and you have to be able to address it. An IRQ helps performance slightly but is not required. I run mine on my PCjr on LPT2 most of the time.

Are you sure they don't support nibble mode? They can receive no status from the printer at all?

Either way, the Xircom doesn't care what port it is on. It just needs to have all of the wires/pins supported, and you have to be able to address it. An IRQ helps performance slightly but is not required. I run mine on my PCjr on LPT2 most of the time.

Depends on the bits the device needs. I posted about this a while ago : http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...000-Printer-Ports-Cables-and-Nybble-Transfers

In short, it seems a minor hardware mod may work, at least for the models before the TL and SL, but you can completely disable those card edge ports on the TL, SL, TL/2, SL/2 anyway. The TL/3, RLX and RSX have bidirectional DB-25 ports, so they should not be a problem. The RL can be modded to support a bidirectional port, but has a unidirectional DB-25.

But if the device can work with a bidirectional, EEP or ECP parallel port, why bother with nybbles?

Just a heads up to anyone around Sacramento, California, there's a store on Folsom Blvd next to the flea market that has a couple of these in a box at the end of the front isle on the left where I picked up two. Big sign in front that says "Surplus Stuff". I made the guy there a deal when I went, got a 286 motherboard with 1 MB ram, 2 PE3-10BT adapters, a Inport card and a SCSI controller for $20, so I doubt he'll want much for a single adapter. The downside is I didn't see any of the PS2 cables but who knows what all was in that box (full of AUI adapters mainly).

Another one - too cheap to pass up. ($6 so far with shipping)

ebay: 230854160324

Disclaimer: Not my auction

However, he's got hugely inflated shipping so the cost ATM is about $33. Just sayin. Nevertheless, I do appreciate you posting these Mike. :)

It clearly says "Shipping: FREE Expedited Shipping | See details" ... where are you getting that from?

I generally try not to post anything misleading or blatantly wrong.

It looks like the details are free shipping within the US. Other countries likely require shipping still.

Back