• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XMAS Riddle

Of course, since the guy does move at the speed of light, Newtonian physics are no longer in play...we're talking Quantum now, sooo...

Solution #2:
Santa was able to bend SpaceTime around to a point where a wormhole was created between the two sides of the gorge, then simply stepped thru, bypassing the rope entirely, and actually arriving at a time that was earlier than when he left. Problem solved!

--T

Man, you people are really over complicating this thing something terrible!! :rolleyes: Think circus related talents.

Wish I could think of another hint without giving it away......hmm......

Got to admit helium balloons, time zones and bending time and space are some really good answers!! :D

Well, juggling on a unicycle doesn't work, for the same reason that the truck full of birds doesn't; Newton's Laws. If there is a solution that does work, why not Quantum Mechanics? (OTOH, the bird truck travels considerably slower than the speed of light, so the birds are still SOL).

--T

Last edited:
Man, you people are really over complicating this thing something terrible!! :rolleyes: Think circus related talents.

Wish I could think of another hint without giving it away......hmm......

Got to admit helium balloons, time zones and bending time and space are some really good answers!! :D

Well jeebus, what d'ya expect, presenting a problem to a buncha left-brainers like us and expecting a right-brain solution?

--T

Last edited:
Those heavy boots. Thick fabric in the jacket and pants. The belt alone.
See what I'm getting at?
It was in the middle of the night after all, and nobody would be looking.
Quick way to loose a few pounds eh?
:)

Well, juggling on a unicycle doesn't work, for the same reason that the truck full of birds doesn't; Newton's Laws. If there is a solution that does work, why not Quantum Mechanics? (OTOH, the bird truck travels considerably slower than the speed of light, so the birds are still SOL).

--T

Terry you are soooooooooo close the answer is going to jump out and bite you!!! SNAKE!!! :jumping6:

Well, I'm convinced that's how he did it. Took off his heavy boots and stripped down to his long underwear (didn't think of that did ya T) and ran across with the parcels. Then quickly returned and put his clothes back on. Simple!

Now he's down by the highway hitchin a ride to the nearest phone booth so he can call a tow truck to get his sled outa the ditch. :) Good luck getting a ride on Christmas morning looking like that. Never mind that he had to dress in the dark and he's got his beard on backwards. He'll have some 'splainin to do...

Terry you are soooooooooo close the answer is going to jump out and bite you!!! SNAKE!!! :jumping6:

Oh, I'm sure I know the answer you're looking for. I'm just playing the Devil's Advocate, not only pointing out why the 'official' solution won't work, but offering alternative solutions that might work.

--T

Oh, I'm sure I know the answer you're looking for. I'm just playing the Devil's Advocate, not only pointing out why the 'official' solution won't work, but offering alternative solutions that might work.

--T

Ok, I think I get it now. (with a little help) I was taking the official answer at face value, but it does seem to be a bit flawed. Maybe if a specific style or technique was used it could be possible. One hand?

What you need to do now is explain at work why their solution is no good (think equal & opposite reaction). Then, offer alternate solution(s) that are possible (I'd go with the quantum thinggy, but OJ's strip-tease theory is pretty good too). They'll prob'ly hire you to write next year's contest. PM me if ya need more help.

--T

me said:
Actually, though, I'm not so sure that'd work, since between throwing the toys in the air (equal/opposite reaction) and catching them, there might, at some points, be more force on the rope.

^Yeah, I got that, too.

I just took a winter jacket, a pair of pants, and a pair of not too heavy rubber boots and put them on the postal scale. Total wieght is 8 pounds. Now, bear in mind that these items are meant to fit someone who is 140 pounds - less than half of Santa's weight. The boots are also not big leather ones and the other items are also not heavy wool. I conclude that Santa's external clothing is going to weigh MUCH more than 10 pounds. Personally, I think that settles the matter. :)

Wow you VCF people are just way to sharp! Seems I may have to razz a couple of coworkers a bit about this puzzle when I get back to work Monday. Too bad about the emergency road hazard kit being awarded already. It was a really nice one! Wouldn't have minded having it for myself. ;)

I just took a winter jacket, a pair of pants, and a pair of not too heavy rubber boots and put them on the postal scale. Total wieght is 8 pounds. Now, bear in mind that these items are meant to fit someone who is 140 pounds - less than half of Santa's weight. The boots are also not big leather ones and the other items are also not heavy wool. I conclude that Santa's external clothing is going to weigh MUCH more than 10 pounds. Personally, I think that settles the matter. :)

But, since he's finishing his rounds, he's prob'ly somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere, where it's high Summer, so he's prolly not wearing very many clothes. Try your test again with a pair of Bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops.
I knew there had to be a flaw in there somewhere.

--T

Wow you VCF people are just way to sharp! Seems I may have to razz a couple of coworkers a bit about this puzzle when I get back to work Monday. Too bad about the emergency road hazard kit being awarded already. It was a really nice one! Wouldn't have minded having it for myself. ;)

Print out a hardcopy of this thread, mebbe they'll buy one for you too...

--T

But, since he's finishing his rounds, he's prob'ly somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere, where it's high Summer, so he's prolly not wearing very many clothes. Try your test again with a pair of Bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops.
I knew there had to be a flaw in there somewhere.
--T
Not so fast!
If, in fact, Santa actually carries a change of clothes with him is doubtful. It does, I would agree, seem reasonable that he would start in the North and end in the South, simply because it would make his load easier as he went along and leave him light for the long trip home. That would seem reasonable except for the facts. Let me quote from the riddle:
EXIBIT A
"On a cold and stormy Christmas Eve,"
OK, so you say he's move on from there. I agree that he may very well have, but let me direct you to lines 13 and 14 of the original report:
EXIBIT B
"Santa awoke dazed and confused,
lying in a pile of snow."
I rest my case. :)

Back