• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

xModem/Kermit on the Console Terminal Channel

jjandersoj

Experienced Member
Hi Folks,

I run my Kaypro 10 "Headless", using the TTY: (via IOBYTE) as my console.

(ADM 3A Emulation - Null Modem to Windows 7)

I need an XMODEM or KERMIT "Server Mode" solution.

I'm not running BYE or any varients.

There seems to be so much RCPM baggage in the ASM sources.

It seems that Kermit-80 does not implement SERVER mode.

I'm looking for somthing like "XMODEM R/S MYFILE.LBR" on the console.

Don't mess with the Baud Rate... Don't use Smart Modem Commands..

Just Transfer the file on the Null Modem/TTY: and return to the A> prompt.

Does anybody have a formula for this type of thing?

Xmodem or Kermit varients etc?

Thanks,

John-A

I wrote PCGET (XMODEM R) and PCPUT (XMODEM S) for the Kaypro several years ago, but I don’t have them posted anywhere. I’ll put them up and post a link.

Mike

Thanks for writing this stuff, Mike! It makes life so much easier :) Implementing XMODEM is something everyone should do at least once, but 20 or 30 times is less fun :p

Actually, I did have the files posted already. They are at: http://deramp.com/downloads/kaypro/kaypro10/software/PCGET and PCPUT/

I've never tried the programs with the console on a serial port instead of on the built-in monitor, but that's a very common configuration on other computers, so it will probably work. Aborting a transfer with ctrl-c may not work because the program is looking directly at the Kaypro keyboard for the ctrl-c, not the serial port.

I may drag out my Kaypro and try it this weekend.

Mike

Mite is a great terminal program for the Kaypro and supports XModem. The serial I/O is interrupt-driv, too, so if your transferring files over a serial cable, you can get 19,200 bps rates (the highest rate that the Kaypro's UART chip will support). I have a Teledisk image of Mite here: http://planemo.org/retro/downloads/kaypro/

Back