• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XP Forever?

I would still use XP, but it's become pretty much impossible to browse the web with it.

Chrome and Firefox both crash constantly for me, and if they don't, the plugins I need do...

That is unfortunate. Might it be a memory problem? I've been rocking Firefox ESR for quite a while now with no issues.

I would still use XP, but it's become pretty much impossible to browse the web with it.

Chrome and Firefox both crash constantly for me, and if they don't, the plugins I need do...
Have you tried SlimJet or SlimBrowser? I use both of them and they're quite useful.

IIRC, SlimJet uses the Chrome engine and SlimBrowser the IE engine.

I have. Unfortunately, it didn't help. They crash as soon as I log in and it tries to use plugins. I've tried to pare down what I need, but I need an ad blocker and keepass access.

Also, both those projects seemed to also have stopped supporting XP now... :(

I'm currently running 47.0.1 version of Firefox with no problems.

I have. Unfortunately, it didn't help. They crash as soon as I log in and it tries to use plugins. I've tried to pare down what I need, but I need an ad blocker and keepass access.

Something is wrong with your hardware or your Windows installation.

Web browsers with plugins use a lot of RAM. Maybe your first 512 MB or 1 GB of RAM is fine but the RAM above that is bad and is causing crashes when the web browser tries to use it.

I had an XP machine with 2 GB of RAM that would constantly get Blue Screens of Death when browsing the web. It wasn't XP's fault or the web browser's fault. The second RAM stick was bad and I only ever noticed it when web browsing because that's the only application I run which eats up more than 1 GB of RAM in normal use.

For my browsing on a more-or-less modern machine, I use Linux. However, I have a lot of old systems (particularly P3 ones) with ISA slots. Naturally, I install a version of Linux and Win9x on them, but there are times when I need to run NT-compatible programs with networking. XP does the job fine there, where Win7 or Vista would bog the system down to unusability, even if the hardware could meet minimum requirements. I'd probably use Win2K, but driver support isn't as good.

48-bit LBA issues

If you have an older PC that is BIOS qualified to use a LBA HD, but still has a problem with XP or W2K, the following workaround may help. You need get into the registry and perform a simple edit as specified below. Note: backup your registry first.

48BitLba.jpg

Back