• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

XT-286 for sale

That's quite a lot for a starting bid, at least when you have set a Reserve even higher!

Based on the fact that (1) the Powersupply is dead, (2) the internal battery is dead, and (3) no keyboard/monitor is included, I would say this item is overpriced. As a normal XT goes for $50 (maybe up to and a little above $100 if software/keyboard/monitor are included and the unit is proved to be in pristine and working condition), I would say you should maybe start your auction at $50 instead, and maybe lower your reserve.

You need a lot more pictures and you could use a few more search terms in your title to bring in more buyers. Nice old unit though.

The starting bid isn't to bad if the 286 is as rare as stated. All it takes is one bid. I just had an auction for a non computer item that had over 600 hits with 36 watchers (looked like a real hot item) and ended up with just one bid. It sold higher than another item, similar and in better condition too. All it takes is one bid you can be happy with.

I have seen a lot of people start at a penny to save listing fees and that's all they get, lol.

Good luck. I have sold over 1500 items on ebay myself with a perfect 100% score and very high DSR's too.

I have a fair bit of experience with auctions, both online and live I highly recommend if you are going to set a reserve set a 1 penny starting bid. Reserves scare people off to begin with, when you set a high opening with a reserve all I personally see is 'this item isnt really for sale' Plus, people need to bid to get the fever. If you set opening at 50 on an item thats worth maybe 75 and put a 70 reserve on it, people don't get the chance to bid and be outbid. It gets really easy to keep hitting that confirm button the more times you do it. If you want the moon for something use fixed price with best offer and set the buy it now price about 25% higher than what they are selling for at auction and let someone offer you down to what you are willing to take.

-Lance

Personally I find Reserve bids moronic and annoying. If you want a price for something, just set it. Don't try to tantalize me with a low price that I can't possibly have. You're really wasting my time. :p

:rolleyes:
OK, I find that Buy it now is the stupidest device on eBay when abused. I see items inflated artificially high with no alternatives, like bidding. Then, somebody sees the resulting purchase from an inflated BIN from another auction, and uses the same price on theirs, adding more money for no reason. I offered other ways to bid on the item.

Mine was the result of seeing a naturally occuring, bidding auction that ended at an amount close to that. However, I am lowering the BIN price. I offered BIN as a last resort way to grab the computer if someone REALLY wanted it.

As I noted in the auction, I was to be pretty lenient on the reserve. I just don't want someone to get it for too low of a price because I only have a 3-day auction. It was actually at 350 sort of midway through the starting bid and buy it now price. I think I will remove the reserve and see what happens.

The starting bid was reasonable in my opinion, but I can lower it.

I changed the shipping to actual shipping.

Check it now, to see if things are more reasonable. :rolleyes:

Here's a challenge to some theories above:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180401969831

This one started at $149.50, has no monitor or keyboard included. It did power up, however. Came with extraneous manuals and Xtree (which I can get anywhere) and boom the bidding ended at $465.

No Buy It now, no 99 cent start. How do you explain this?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

This really isn't the place to comment on the pricing of auctions. Let the market decide.

OK, so I pulled the auction due to inactivity. I will relist it soon after I acquire a 5160 or XT power supply, to show potential bidders that my IBM does work.

This should not only show a clean, working IBM, but also it would force me to create a better presentation, with video and more detailed pictures. Also, I will make the auction for 5 days instead of 3.

Maybe I'll fix that BIOS battery as well...

Here's a challenge to some theories above:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180401969831

This one started at $149.50, has no monitor or keyboard included. It did power up, however. Came with extraneous manuals and Xtree (which I can get anywhere) and boom the bidding ended at $465.

No Buy It now, no 99 cent start. How do you explain this?

My guesses:

1. it works in the state the buyer recives it (working battery/Powersuply)
  2. it got an original, working monitor and the original working keyboard
  3. it states the two points above clearly in the auction (and title)
  4. it got the original manuals
  5. it got loads of floppy disks (not too many normal people got therse freely availible anymore)/games/other software
  6. the auction got several nice, big, clear, high-res photos availble rigth in the auction (the buyer doesn't ned to open a hyperlinc first); showing the system working perfectly while running some programs at least somebody will recognize
  7. Long listing-time (7 days, it took 4 days before the first bid appeared)

Of course you will be able to achieve the same if you only got a working powersupply.

What? I don't know where you see he says "monitor and keyboard included"! There's nothing at all anywhere saying keyboard. Especially in the title!

I think the confusion lies in the fact that he says IBM 5151 green display (though never references it again, even its condition) and then he says "Tatung monitor does not come with the auction, see other auction". He never has a Tatung pictured, so I assumed that he got mixed up or something.

I would not say he was clear.

So, I am guessing he had two different video cards, one for the IBM 5151 and a CGA for the Tatung monitor (which was not included). He never stated "includes monitor" in title, and confuses things a little in the body.

Ah well, I can get a power supply, throw in an ISA VGA card, find some ram, maybe one of my old soundblasters...hmmm...space quest...wolfenstein...indy jones...maybe I'll just keep it! ;-) Maybe.

Last edited:
Geez, it's a shame you aren't local to me, I'd be all over that thing (but I'd negotiate the price down a lot because the power supply, the single most expensive part to replace, is not working).

*sigh* why did all the local XTs go in the trash +10 years ago

Back