• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT board questions (FT SUPER-640 )

Well, just about any 'Turbo" 8088 ERSO BIOS should work with both boards and get you your keyboard-controlled speed changer going. There should be an image wandering around on the web--if not, let me know and I'll post one.

ERSO must be the Edward S. Oneal in the text from the two BIOS images I just posted. :)

I have another board that is the same as your board, identical clone. I don't have ways to burn a 2764 now, will try to work something out here.

Well, as I said, I have two almost identical boards, the first is working now, the second was completely dead, but now she beeps like a duck, very hard e non stop beep, she beeps even without cpu and bios. When I change some switches her stop beeping, but no video. I will keep trying to find a way to make her boot.

I didn't know that you don't have a way to write EPROMs. Maybe you can try the BIOS from the working motherboard in the one that doesn't work?

I didn't know that you don't have a way to write EPROMs. Maybe you can try the BIOS from the working motherboard in the one that doesn't work?

I've done that, but still no luck. Right now I discovered that one IC (SN74LS332AN , on top of the board) was rusty, when I removed it, the legs pulled out, was a zombie chip, replaced with another identical from the another working board, but still no boot.

It might be worth a try to re-seat all the socketed chips on that board.

I've done that, but no help. I guess I will start to test chip by chip, will take a long time, but will worth it. Thanks for all the help!

Now my floppy drive arrived! It's time to finish this clone project. For the ones that don't know what is happening, I have a XT clone board, that have a lot of ROM sockets, but only one is used, for the BIOS. I will try to put another ROMs, to have BASIC. The board is currently using a 27C64 ROM(using a Phoenix BIOS), and it works well. I have some questions:

1) Should I use 5150 (four ICs, more one for the BIOS) BASIC ROMs? Or 5160 that uses two ICs (BIOS + BASIC)?
2) What ICs should I use?
3) I have no eeprom programmer, could I use the empty ROMs sockets to write to blank chips? I also have acess to PCI or ISA Network cards, and of course, another motherboards.

Thanks!

On these multi-socket XT clones, the board is configured for 2764 (8KB/64Kbit) EPROM chips.
If you don't need BASIC-in-ROM, you can use just a single 8KB ROM--the other three are for BASIC.
You'll need a programmer of some sort. You might be able to rig a network card that takes a 2764 boot ROM with a jumper or two to write a 28C64 EEPROM. But you'd have a write a bit of code.

If you don't need BASIC-in-ROM, you can use just a single 8KB ROM--the other three are for BASIC.

Sorry, but I did not get it, could you please explain it again? This good site lists four chips(U29 to U32) for BASIC in 5150. The board is already working ok with the Phoenix BIOS.

The explanation is that I can't count.

You will kill me if you keep with these answers... it's like a humor show! :tv:

Thanks for the info, I will get a programmer, then put the ROMs on 2764s, then see what will happen. Just for curiosity, to boot to BASIC I need a IBM BIOS?

Ok guys, thanks again for all the help. I will mount this board into a case (a very bad case, will repaint).
Take a look:
DSC05563.jpg

When you have the programmer, make a copy of the ROM and post it.
Chuck(G) can probably count just fine, it's just this organic base[sub]10[/sub] that might be a bit weird.
patscc

I've got that same board, that works, I backed up it's ROMs, including rom-basic.

Attachments

• 8088-640K-mb-with-rombasic.zip
    553.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 8088mb.jpg
    8088mb.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 12
I've got that same board, that works, I backed up it's ROMs, including rom-basic.
What you have is IBM's 08/16/82 revision of motherboard BIOS for the IBM 5160, split into 8 KB sized pieces.

IBM ROM 5000026 is 32 KB sized.
IBM ROM 5000027 is 8 KB sized.
temp_rom86hv5gjkyt53vg57qwo0.png

Back