• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT-IDE No LOnger Working

fsmith2003

Experienced Member
I may have destroyed my XT-IDE Rev 3! I was just messing around with it and put it in a newer Socket 4 motherboard to see what would happen. Well nothing booted up. Now that I have placed it back in my Tandy 1000 it no longer truns on or does anything at all. Did I fry the board? Is there anything I can do to get it going again?

I don't have one, but I've noticed that many of these 8-bit XT/ISA cards without the backplane are really easy to accidentally stick in backwards. If this is the case, you WOULD fry the EEPROM since the power pins (+5V, -5V, -12V, +12V, and +5V) on the "B" side of the MB socket and would mate with Address pins 2, 4, 6, 8, and Data 6 (where they correspond if rotated 180 degrees) on the "A" side of the card edge.

If this is the case, and assuming you're using the lo-tech card rather than the one from Glitchworks (I haven't done enough reading on that one though it may have a similar logic) address 6 and 8 pins would, if the board is reversed, be receiving +12v and -12v, respectively, going straight into the EEPROM. Address 2, 4 and Data 6 (+/-5v) aren't of consequence since all the logic here runs at up to 5v anyways, but +/-12v WILL fry the EEPROM.

You may be able to get it going again by replacing the EEPROM chip (the big 32-pin chip, probably a SST 39SF010A, they're about $2.50CDN from Digi-Key) and flashing with the relevant version of XT-IDE Universal BIOS using their utility.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Back