• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT-IDE rev 4 Development

The holes in the PCB are sized for a press fit with the header strips provided. This is so they don't fall out when you turn the board over to solder it. Every now and then, a board gets a little more solder in the through-holes than it should have, and the headers can be a bit difficult to insert. I just rock them back and forth. The "snap" of them going in is the slightly deformed tip of the pin making its way through (they get deformed from the pin-cutting process, when the headers are manufactured).

The holes in the PCB are sized for a press fit with the header strips provided. This is so they don't fall out when you turn the board over to solder it. Every now and then, a board gets a little more solder in the through-holes than it should have, and the headers can be a bit difficult to insert. I just rock them back and forth. The "snap" of them going in is the slightly deformed tip of the pin making its way through (they get deformed from the pin-cutting process, when the headers are manufactured).

Thanks, everything worked out fine in the end. In my case the "snap" in some cases really was the pins separating from the header. They stuck out longer than the others. I've attached a photo to my previous post. But no harm done, it all worked out okay. Thanks for creating the board!

Hello,
I will receive my xt-ide rev 4.1 card, which compact flash should I use? CF 4 GB at least apparently problem.
I have an ibm 5155 with DOS 6.22.

it is better to take a CF sandisk or transcend?
for example this one?

Thank you for your help.

if it is in the wrong direction a capacitor explodes, if the polarities are inverted.
On the XT-IDE card there is no inverted capacitor. What is your problem exactly?

It's an electrolitic. I have the polarities flipped. It looks undamaged on the outside.

I assume you are referring to capacitor C12 on the XT-IDE rev4, which is a 100uF electrolytic capacitor. An electrolytic capacitor must not be installed the wrong way (ie with the polarity reversed) - doing so will certainly destroy that capacitor. If you have already installed the card in a powered-up PC, my suggestion would be that you remove it and solder in a new replacement.

Last edited:
Back