• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT Power supply failed...

Did you try disconnecting the motherboard, and see if it powers up when connected to only the drives? One or more of the 30-year-old capacitors in the system may have failed as a short circuit. Usually the power supply will just explode these bad capacitors with a loud bang (my 5150 case has a burn mark on the inside of the cover to prove it!), but maybe yours is actually smart enough to detect the short-circuit and shut itself down.

Doubtful.

I found on eBay, an ATX to AT Power supply adapter for under $7.00. So, I ordered one. That will let me try a different supply to see if my motherboard is still good, and I can somehow fit in an ATX supply until I can find a suitable replacement.

If the rest of the system works, I can finish the two XT-FDC cards I'm building.

Maybe I'll come across a 5160 or a Tandy 1200 to replace this with.

Caps can short quietly without an obvious flash or burn. It's not a required symptom.

It could be an expansion card, a drive or even the keyboard. You should try with all those removed before you *assume* it's the power supply or motherboard.

The adapter I bought didn't work. No Power, nothing on two different logic boards.

I ordered another more expensive cable to see if it will work. The floppy controller chips arrived today, but I can't flash or test the two XT-FDC boards without a working system.

Stupid question, Al, but did you short the power switch pins on the adapter when you tested it? Forget the line switch--that's not the way modern PC power supplies work.

Nope. It's not a stupid question. I'll go buy a switch and something to load the P.S. when I get a chance, but meanwhile I ordered a better version of it. I have a 486 board here now too (a gift from a friend.)

I will probably buy an ATX case to mount it in, so I need two adapters anyway.

Out of interest have you got a link to the Adapter you bought, You can get away with shorting the green wire ( /PS_ON ) to ground, Use a short length of wire ( Or paper clip ) and bridge the green wire and next door black wire together, This will turn the power supply on.

Note: later ATX psu's did not have the -5V line required by some isa cards, See here for the ATX power pinouts.

Yes it appears so, With this adapter plugged in to the PSU but not connected to a motherboard, Have you got a couple of good known working IDE hard drives you can connect up to the psu to see if the drives power up.

But without a motherboard the floppies just lay dead. They don't seek until they are initialized, and even then not without the aid of a FDD controller.

Back