• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE Device Compatibility List

That's probably good enough, then.

Those Unigen cards really screwed me. I probably would have noticed how flaky they were sooner and made the connection if I'd set them up from scratch in the machines and *hadn't* also been in the middle of general hardware QA on the new boards. But instead I got the "brilliant" idea, since they were just exactly the right size to do it and the cards seemed nifty and fast, of using DD on the unix box to clone the working DOS install I had on the CF-SD adapter over to the pair of 2gig cards. Despite how obviously flaky they look under the microscope the fact that they flip bits on the regular can *mostly* go unnoticed, or at least not be obvious to pin on the CF card. Stuff will just crash at random well after it was loaded into memory and you'll pull your hair out and start howling about what *must* be wrong with your RAM board. Sigh.

I wonder how many Cisco cards are just badged from other brands. It doesn't surprise me at all that this happens, but I wonder if they've got multiple brands under those labels and some of them might work better than others.

Im using r620 XTPL edition on my v20 equipped EX, running DOS 5.0 and my CF-IDE is running in 8-Bit BIU mode:

DiskTest, gives me the following results on my:

4GB Seagate ST1 MicroDrive:

XT-IDE ID: ST640211CF
Write: 334.37 KB/s
Read: 525.14 KB/s
8k Random: 13.5 IOPS
Sector Random: 18.5 IOPS

1GB no-name Flash Drive:

XT-IDE ID: CF Card
Write: 266.32 KB/s
Read: 441.38 KB/s
8k Random: 12.7 IOPS
Sector Random: 18.8 IOPS
View attachment 57928

That Seagate microdrive is surprisingly fast.
The no-name CF card should say "Memory Technology Company" on the back. I think they're based in Taiwan.

I wonder how many Cisco cards are just badged from other brands. It doesn't surprise me at all that this happens, but I wonder if they've got multiple brands under those labels and some of them might work better than others.

The giveaway for different OEMs is the underside; that's why I took pictures of the back. The Unigens (at least these ones) have that distinctive blue trim.

In addition to the 128M STI flash cards that all work I have a 128M "Smart CF" card that does *not*. (I'll stick up a picture of it.) Acts just like the Unigens. It's also distinguishable from the STIs by the underside label, though not as obvious.

That Seagate microdrive is surprisingly fast.
The no-name CF card should say "Memory Technology Company" on the back. I think they're based in Taiwan.

The micro drive has a huge ram cache which probably helps a lot. I’ve also found they have lower CPU overheads on my Amiga’s too.

Here’s the back of the cards:

IMG_5789.JPG

Small update on this device:

So far I still have to say that my favorite device is this 44 pin IDE to SD adapter.

View attachment 57843

Today I tested this device with a 32GB Sandisk SD card, and I can confirm that it works with a brand new "modern-size" card straight off of Amazon. Checkit3 benchmarks are identical to the smaller card, DiskTest 2.3 marks are interesting because the "Write/Read" speeds are nearly the same but the "8k random, 70% read:" IOPS score jumps to 31.7 IOPS compared to 14.9 for the older card. Perhaps it has a more clever wear leveling algorithm or something that kicks in for random I/O.

Mediatest is successful through multiple runs. PC-DOS 7's FDISK program may or may not have bug because I did notice an interesting anomaly: FDISK identifies the card as being 8GB in size (not 32GB), which jives with the limitations of the PC BIOS INT13h driver, but it only seems to want to allow making an extended partition up to the 2GB barrier. Will dig into that some more. Also checkit3 completely misreports the size of the drive. (Calls it a "-166MB" drive.) I assume this would probably be the case with any too-big-for-DOS device.

Anyway, would still highly recommend this adapter.

Sorry to necro this thread, it's the one that came up on google so I hope it is appropriate. Couple questions:
  • Is there any disadvantage to getting a CF card that supports UDMA?
  • Is there any advantage to Industrial grade cards?
  • Would I be better off with 256MB, 512MB, 1GB or 2GB for maximum ease of setup and use?
Thanks.

Sorry to necro this thread, it's the one that came up on google so I hope it is appropriate. Couple questions:
  • Would I be better off with 256MB, 512MB, 1GB or 2GB for maximum ease of setup and use?
Thanks.
Lacking input from here, and since the max partition size for DOS 3.31 is 512MB, I went with a Sandisk Industrial 512MB 220X CF card. I'll report back with compatibility/performance.

Thanks.
Having mixed luck here. Tried a Transcend Industrial Grade 512GB CF220I and it hangs occasionally. It gets somewhat better IOPS than the standard Transcend 512GB 80x that was in my NuXT but hanging is an annoyance. I'm not sure if my card is defective somehow, if it's a problem with XTIDE, or some other issue.

Also if DRVSPACE.DAT is present on the drive it won't boot, not sure if that is unique to this card or what. Losing interest in debugging it after a number of hours.

Back