• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

@MaximRecoil: To maximize performance, make sure ROM shadowing and caching is enabled for the XUB ROM segment.

According to the QD6500 manual, the BIOS address jumper position I used is C800h, so I enabled "Adaptor ROM Shadow C800,16K" in the motherboard's BIOS. It didn't make a difference in the HDD speed tests.

I see. Well, if the HDD is the bottleneck it won't make much difference to enable ROM shadowing.

BTW, have you tried using the drivers to see what performance you get with those? That would be the most fair comparison in my opinion.

Also, what kind of CPU do you have in that machine? I believe Aitotat was using a 100 MHz 486 CPU in his testing.

I see. Well, if the HDD is the bottleneck it won't make much difference to enable ROM shadowing.

The HDD isn't the bottleneck. Like I mentioned previously, I got 3.9 MB/s with the DTC card + drivers and the same CF card, which is about 1.1 MB/s faster than I'm getting with the QD6500 + XUB. I can't use the DTC card with XUB because it doesn't have a BIOS socket. Also, the DTC card had other problems. For example, it couldn't successfully install the drivers when using EZ Drive HDD overlay software, so if I wanted the speed that came along with using the drivers, I was limited to 504 MB of my 2 GB CF card. There were other problems with it too, which is why I decided to use the QD6500 + XUB.

BTW, have you tried using the drivers to see what performance you get with those? That would be the most fair comparison in my opinion.

No. I couldn't find any Windows 95 drivers for the QD6500; just DOS and Windows 3.1.

Also, what kind of CPU do you have in that machine? I believe Aitotat was using a 100 MHz 486 CPU in his testing.

AMD Am486DX2-66 (66 MHz).

With a QD6580 and XTIDEUB I get about 4MB/s and the 6500 I get around 3.1 MB/s on my 486. Actually a little disappointed. Using an Appian ADI/2 VLB card and the latest Adaptec driver I could find using the same drive I get 5.8MB/s

With a QD6580 and XTIDEUB I get about 4MB/s and the 6500 I get around 3.1 MB/s on my 486. Actually a little disappointed.
Have you tried the driver? If so, what kind of speed did you get with that?

Do you have shadowing enabled for the memory range used by the XUB ROM?

Have you tried the driver? If so, what kind of speed did you get with that?

Do you have shadowing enabled for the memory range used by the XUB ROM?

I have used the driver, I get only slightly better speed (something like 0.2 MB/s). I could get exact numbers if you want me to test again.

I tried shadowing and it made no noticeable difference oddly.

Back