• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

See the makefile in the serial_server folder, You need either Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 or Windows SDK v7.1 installed or Also works with Open Watcom C/C++ Version 1.9

I have Open Watcom C/C++ Version 1.9 installed and it builds fine, You can grab Open Watcom from http://www.openwatcom.org/

See the makefile in the serial_server folder, You need either Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 or Windows SDK v7.1 installed or Also works with Open Watcom C/C++ Version 1.9

I have Open Watcom C/C++ Version 1.9 installed and it builds fine, You can grab Open Watcom from http://www.openwatcom.org/

Thanks so much for this, openwatcom worked and I get a binary :thumbsup:

I have another question regarding the checksums calculation with Strawberry Perl , is it correct to think that I need it for the checksums whether I make source changes or not? It is only marked as "optional" because you can calculate the checksums with XTIDECFG.COM, correct?

edit:
here is R588 , it seems all is OK unless I did something really really wrong :rain: https://www.mediafire.com/?ibcixfypudgjm2s

Last edited:
You don't need to install strawberry perl, ie: build the binary's with no checksum calculation "mingw32-make all" and when you configure the bios with XTIDECFG.com it can calculate the checksum for you. If you want to do checksum calculation when building the binary's "mingw32-make checksum" or modify sources then strawberry perl must be installed.

Don't like bumping old threads, but this looks like the place I should report a minor issue I had.

AT version of XTIDE, 2.0 beta 3, Toshiba T5200/100, Conner CP30174E. IRQ 14, Block Mode enabled, LBA set to "NORMAL" manually.
Drive detected, but would not boot. Booting from floppy gave me complete/perfect access to the drive, I could copy software on to it and run it - but no boot. I repartitioned, checked it was active, formatted /S - no matter what I did I always got the "Non System Disk or Disk Error" you get from a blank floppy etc On one occasion the computer was non-responsive and required a power off afterwards.

Went back to XTIDE 1.1.5, and the drive booted straight in to MS DOS.

Same hardware was used in both scenarios. ROM address was D200 and I'd disabled EMS/Shadow in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Don't like bumping old threads, but this looks like the place I should report a minor issue I had.
This is absolutely the correct place to report issues.

AT version of XTIDE, 2.0 beta 3, Toshiba T5200/100, Conner CP30174E. IRQ 14, Block Mode enabled, LBA set to "NORMAL" manually.
Drive detected, but would not boot. Booting from floppy gave me complete/perfect access to the drive, I could copy software on to it and run it - but no boot. I repartitioned, checked it was active, formatted /S - no matter what I did I always got the "Non System Disk or Disk Error" you get from a blank floppy etc On one occasion the computer was non-responsive and required a power off afterwards.

Went back to XTIDE 1.1.5, and the drive booted straight in to MS DOS.

Same hardware was used in both scenarios. ROM address was D200 and I'd disabled EMS/Shadow in the BIOS.

The first thing to try is a newer version of the BIOS. Beta 3 is old and known to have problems. Though I must admit that I don't recognize this particular bug. It might be a problem with you forcing the "Normal" translation instead of using "Autodetect". Although with this drive the result should be the same.

Generally speaking, it seems very few people use old CHS drives so there's very little testing done and consequently not that much feedback.

AT version of XTIDE, 2.0 beta 3, Toshiba T5200/100

You might want to try the version I posted in this thread:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?51437-XTIDE-and-Windows-95-issues
which is built from the latest post beta 3 source code and was running on my Toshiba T5200.
It contains a mod to stop Windows 95 running in MSDOS compatibility mode which is irrelevant to your problem but at least it's the latest code.
I have made further changes since then to work around a few more compatibility issues with Windows/386 and some problems specific to the T5200 including getting 2 drives to work as master and slave (using compact flash) but I'll make a separate post about those once I've finished testing.

I'll try and push forward with the new SVN Site, then perhaps you can merge in your changes?

The last available revision of the XUB was 588 on the svn June 3 2015, i've uploaded r588 which includes the modules as standard. Here

Google code has not been used for years. I'm using v2 beta 3, but I don't see any option for booting drive B: instead of A or C. My older XT-IDE card does this fine.

I'm guessing that with your R1 XT-IDE card you see the 'Boot Menu' as with XUB v1.1.5, The boot menu is optional with more recent releases. When you boot your machine, directly after the beep just press the B Key to boot from the B drive. If you'd rather have the Boot Menu instead of the Hotkey bar you'd have to do a custom build or let me know what bios file you are using and i'll change it for you.

UPDATE:
I found the problem: the CF card. I used a white label before and now a Sandisk Ultra II and it now works (after FDISK /MBR)

----

Hi there,

I'm new here and I have the XT-CF-V4 from Sergey Malinov.

Everything seems to work fine:
I've flashed the EEPROM with the latest bios using the latest XTIDECFG application.

When it boots, it hangs at the booting from C>>C.
The led doesn't blink, nothing happens.

What I've tried:
- installing several versions of the IDE_XT.BIN file
- Fdisk /MBR
- Format /Q/U/S (there are files like command.com on the CF card) and seems to be ok
- Fdisk normally (there's an active partition FAT)

So I'm out of ideas. Maybe you guys have some more suggesions to try.
When I boot from Floppy, there's a C drive which is the CF card.

The computer is an IBM 5150 (8086 processor) I used the IDE_XT.BIN file to flash the EEPROM.

Thanks,
Angelo

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I found the problem: the CF card. I used a white label before and now a Sandisk Ultra II and it now works (after FDISK /MBR)

----

Hi there,

I'm new here and I have the XT-CF-V4 from Sergey Malinov.

Everything seems to work fine:
I've flashed the EEPROM with the latest bios using the latest XTIDECFG application.

When it boots, it hangs at the booting from C>>C.
The led doesn't blink, nothing happens.

What I've tried:
- installing several versions of the IDE_XT.BIN file
- Fdisk /MBR
- Format /Q/U/S (there are files like command.com on the CF card) and seems to be ok
- Fdisk normally (there's an active partition FAT)

So I'm out of ideas. Maybe you guys have some more suggesions to try.
When I boot from Floppy, there's a C drive which is the CF card.

The computer is an IBM 5150 (8086 processor) I used the IDE_XT.BIN file to flash the EEPROM.

Thanks,
Angelo

Ah i see yeah i have the same issues with booting up c alone so i am forced to use a floppy to boot those machines ^^;

Ah i see yeah i have the same issues with booting up c alone so i am forced to use a floppy to boot those machines ^^;

Yes, the solution will be to use another cf card. Like Kingston or sandisk. I used 512mb Sandisk and 1GB Kingston cards with success.

Hi all,

I have a strange problem I am using one of lo-tech's CF lite 2.x cards with the default xt-ide bios downloaded from the lo-tech site (which I believe is R580).
The card is jumpered at rom at c8000h / io at 300h

The machine I have this in is one of the pc-retro 5150 clone boards, I'm also using a 16bit multi-io card with the IDE section disabled to get me hd floppies, com and lpt ports.
I also have one of the lo-tech maxmem XT cards in to bump the memory up to 640K.

The card works fine with just a 1.44 MB drive connected, I can boot from either the floppy or the CF card. However as soon as I connect a 5.25" drive (either a 360K or a 1.2M, configured correctly in the controller bios of course) the XT-IDE refuses to boot from the CF card giving up with an error 1h. I've just checked with two 1.44MB drives configured and connected and am getting the same problem :(

The odd things is if I boot from floppy I can access both the floppy drives a: and b: and my CF partitions c: and d:.

Since I have a flashrom adapter in the motherboard with a 29x010, programmed with both the Super BIOS v2.5 and the latest IBM PC bios, I have tried with both and got the same results.

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Also does anyone know where I can get the latest copy of the source?

Cheers.

Phill.

Last edited:
Also does anyone know where I can get the latest copy of the source?

It's still possible to do a checkout from Google Code. Just enter https://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn as the URL in your favourite SVN client to checkout the entire project including wikis and everything (https://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn/trunk if you're only interested in the source).

Example command line that will checkout only the source to the folder XUB: svn co https://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn/trunk XUB

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I can't help with the actual problem you're having.

Right I think I've made some progress..

With the Addon floppy BIOS not in the system, the CF card boots, though obviously you can only access DD floppies.

Since the ROM on the lo-tech card is mapped into C800-CFFF and the actual XTIDE ROM is only 8K I decided to try putting my floppy bios on there and found that it works IF the floppy BIOS is at a lower address than the XTIDE BIOS.

So what I have now works :

xtfdc at C800:0
xtide at CA00:0

Originally I had the floppy bios at F000 and the IDE at C800, and that didn't work with two drives connected, with only 1 it worked fine which is odd.

Cheers.

Phill.

It's still possible to do a checkout from Google Code. Just enter https://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn as the URL in your favourite SVN client to checkout the entire project including wikis and everything (https://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn/trunk if you're only interested in the source).

Example command line that will checkout only the source to the folder XUB: svn co https://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn/trunk XUB

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I can't help with the actual problem you're having.

I don't believe you can anymore.

TortoiseSVN reports "/svn path not found" when I try to check out https://xtideuniversalbios.googlecode.com/svn

Did anyone re-host this on Git or another service?

Building from source; file sizes wrong.

Building from source; file sizes wrong.

Code:
C:\xt-ide\xt-ide build\source-archive_original\xtideuniversalbios\trunk\XTIDE_Universal_BIOS>mingw32-make all
Deleted "(*.*)" from "Build/"
* Tiny XT version "Build/ide_tiny.bin" built.
* Small XT version "Build/ide_xt.bin" built.
* Small XT Plus version "Build/ide_xtp.bin" built.
* Small AT version "Build/ide_at.bin" built.
* Small 386 version "Build/ide_386.bin" built.
All small binaries built!
* Large XT version "Build/ide_xtl.bin" built.
* Large XT Plus version "Build/ide_xtpl.bin" built.
* Large AT version "Build/ide_atl.bin" built.
All large binaries built!
All done!

05/13/2016  11:53 AM    <DIR>          .
05/13/2016  11:53 AM    <DIR>          ..
03/17/2016  01:03 PM    <DIR>          .svn
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             7,025 ide_386.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,606,661 ide_386.lst
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             6,950 ide_at.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,620,279 ide_at.lst
05/13/2016  11:53 AM             9,788 ide_atl.bin
05/13/2016  11:53 AM         2,017,966 ide_atl.lst
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             3,987 ide_tiny.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,311,821 ide_tiny.lst
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             6,495 ide_xt.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,590,468 ide_xt.lst
05/13/2016  11:53 AM             9,164 ide_xtl.bin
05/13/2016  11:53 AM         1,935,491 ide_xtl.lst
05/13/2016  11:55 AM             6,264 ide_xtp.bin
05/13/2016  11:55 AM         1,584,074 ide_xtp.lst
05/13/2016  11:53 AM             8,915 ide_xtpl.bin
05/13/2016  11:53 AM         1,929,097 ide_xtpl.lst

I haven't altered the source at all. I've installed mingw and nasm.

It's not building an 8kb/12kb file, and the files it is building aren't working on my CF adapter.

Any idea what's up?

I think the only source I have available (since I can't use SVN to check out a specific version) is simply broken...

Last edited:
Back