• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

...I have a couple of machines with a 16-bit FDD controller in an 8-bit slot...
FWIW, FDD controllers *are* 8-bit animals regardless of whether or not they are on a 16-bit multifunction card. There are no FDD controller traces on the 16-bit section of those cards.

Question. I have the latest beta and noticed that after detecting the hd, it sits there for a few seconds before attempting boot. I have full mode on if it matters.

The previous bios beta didn't stall like that.

Using xtpl version. Previous was the same except not the large version.

Here is a weird issue for you all. I downloaded Beta 3 and am doing the isa NIC to hold the EPROM and a 16 bit IDE in an 8 bit slot. The XT-IDE software build used was the ide_xt.bin & is configured for a 16 ISA IDE in an 8 bit slot. Was only thing I changed. The IDE controller is a Seagate ST08. Seems to work well with CF cards but does not like actual IDE hard drives! Tried 3 different ones and all were not recognized. The system I am using this in is a 5160 with 640k RAM and latest BIOS release.

That is expected, except for ATA-2 compliant HDDs, since that operating mode depends on the 8-bit transfer mode implemented in ATA-2 and CompactFlash specifications.

Question. I have the latest beta and noticed that after detecting the hd, it sits there for a few seconds before attempting boot. I have full mode on if it matters.

The previous bios beta didn't stall like that.

Using xtpl version. Previous was the same except not the large version.

I'm not sure what would cause this, maybe the slave drive initialization problem fixed in r520. Tomi could probably help you with this but he hasn't visited this forum for almost a month. I hope he is OK.

My recommendation is that you make your own build using the latest revision (r566) because there's more than a few bugs fixed since the latest beta. Not to mention some optimizations that may (or may not) be noticeable.

Hmm, had like 5MB worth of lost sectors today. Uh oh! lol

Not sure if it's the disk or the BIOS, it's hard to tell.

Lost sectors is pretty much normal for a FAT file system if the machine hasn't been shut down or rebooted properly. Have you had a power outage or the machine hang for some reason? If so, that would explain it and I wouldn't worry about it unless it's a recurring phenomenon.

There appears to be some incompatibility in r552+ with 5150/5160 machines with XT-CF at the moment; the BIOS hangs after detection. Tomi suggested a few days back I try a build without the late initialisation included, but I too have been struggling to get hours the workshop recently so haven't tested that yet.

poke i am testing verion 2.0.0 beta 3

with a n8vem card on an ibm XT clone and i cannot seem to get the C: drive or D: drive to work right with this bios .... is there an update at all? that fixes this issue?

with a n8vem card
Is the card an XT-IDE REV 01 or XT-IDE REV 02 (both have "n8vem" on them") ?

on an ibm XT clone and i cannot seem to get the C: drive or D: drive to work right with this bios ....
First, try operation with only one drive. If you can't get one drive going, there is no point complicating things by adding a second drive.

And you need to be specific. What is the make/model of the drive you are using? What exactly are the symptoms?

sorry for late respond!

sorry for late respond!

XT IDE rev 02

Also i got the card to work but not using the xt-ide bios

First, try operation with only one drive. If you can't get one drive going, there is no point complicating things by adding a second drive.
it only works with one drive no mater what drive

And you need to be specific. What is the make/model of the drive you are using? What exactly are the symptoms?

I test it with all sorts of drives
all ide 10+ GB drives

i am testing the xt-ide bios by using an ide controler (Let me test the other controllers also i cannot remember the controller's card) card on a 286

when i try to echo w > w
it give me an error that i have to reset the machine
other than that i can do dir /s and it reads the drive fine

I try it with 40 gb hdds and 8 gb hdd and it behaves the same way
i think i should try a different controller card a more UTC15 i think

sorry for the late respond!

i think i will try out the latest source code version!
^^;

I noticed there is no development in the source code at all this year!
what is going on?

sorry for late respond!

sorry for late respond!

XT IDE rev 02

Also i got the card to work but not using the xt-ide bios

it only works with one drive no mater what drive

I test it with all sorts of drives
all ide 10+ GB drives

i am testing the xt-ide bios by using an ide controler (Let me test the other controllers also i cannot remember the controller's card) card on a 286

when i try to echo w > w
it give me an error that i have to reset the machine
other than that i can do dir /s and it reads the drive fine

I try it with 40 gb hdds and 8 gb hdd and it behaves the same way
i think i should try a different controller card a more UTC15 i think

sorry for the late respond!

i think i will try out the latest source code version!
^^;

I noticed there is no development in the source code at all this year!
what is going on?

It's been long overdue but today I committed r567. I would appreciate if someone could test the autodetection of IDE controllers in XTIDECFG, especially the new detection of ADP50L controllers. Remember, the autodetection needs a drive connected to the controller and a BIOS with support for the hardware loaded in XTIDECFG (MODULE_8BIT_IDE for the XTIDE cards and MODULE_8BIT_IDE_ADVANCED for the rest of the 8-bit controllers).

Thanks!

It's been long overdue but today I committed r567. I would appreciate if someone could test the autodetection of IDE controllers in XTIDECFG, especially the new detection of ADP50L controllers. Remember, the autodetection needs a drive connected to the controller and a BIOS with support for the hardware loaded in XTIDECFG (MODULE_8BIT_IDE for the XTIDE cards and MODULE_8BIT_IDE_ADVANCED for the rest of the 8-bit controllers).

Thanks!

I am willing to test it!:)

.....I would appreciate if someone could test the autodetection of IDE controllers in XTIDECFG, especially the new detection of ADP50L controllers......

Upgraded my IBM XT 5160 to R567 and "Autodetect" detected my XT-IDE R1 card just fine.

I am willing to test it!:)

Thanks! PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a zip file with all the binaries (I was going to attach it here but the 100 000 byte limit for attachments on this forum put a stop to that). Ideally someone (James?) would host it for people that can't or don't want to build from source.

Upgraded my IBM XT 5160 to R567 and "Autodetect" detected my XT-IDE R1 card just fine.

Thanks Malc! I can always count on you! :)

Back