• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

it did not detect my hard drives!

my 120 gb deskstar drive and my 80gb western digital drive

did not detecct them >< this is on my xtide rev 2 card on my original XT

Sorry for the late reply! I keep missing your posts (they don't show up in the Activity Stream for some reason - probably due to the moderator approval thing). Anyway, I assume the card works normally with the BIOS and it's just the autodetection in XTIDECFG that fails? Is it detected in older versions of XTIDECFG (the beta 3 version)? Is the card jumpered for high speed mode or compatibility mode? Can you tell me what I/O address it's using for the IDE controller?

Can someone else confirm if the autodetection works or not with the XTIDE rev2 card?

good news!
it works just fine on my 286 ^^

do you need any info?
it is a pti-217 card~
and i am using a rom expansion card for the bios~

OK, that's good news. Did you try the same drives in this computer?

Sorry for the late reply! I keep missing your posts (they don't show up in the Activity Stream for some reason - probably due to the moderator approval thing). Anyway, I assume the card works normally with the BIOS and it's just the autodetection in XTIDECFG that fails? Is it detected in older versions of XTIDECFG (the beta 3 version)? Is the card jumpered for high speed mode or compatibility mode? Can you tell me what I/O address it's using for the IDE controller?

Can someone else confirm if the autodetection works or not with the XTIDE rev2 card?

OK, that's good news. Did you try the same drives in this computer?

i will try the auto detection test later! it dose fail! I do not think it works normally with my XT-IDE 2 card
compatibility mode
the default i think 30....

the 286 cannot have 2 drives! but it works with 1 drive only which is strange

I think the xtide bios canot detect 2 hard drives well ...
auto detection works but with oprom.bin version 0.11 only, on my XT that is, which has 2 really large hdds
all i know is that the bios is not autodetecting hard drives like it is supposed to when there is 2 hard drives

Upgraded my IBM XT 5160 to R567 and "Autodetect" detected my XT-IDE R1 card just fine.

I got a few 128 Mb Industrial CF cards in and have tested r567 with my 16-bit multi I/O controllers and "Autodetect" detected the controllers just fine in my 5160, I fitted 2 cards in a duel CF adapter and the bios detected both cards no problem. One day I'll get around to ordering the parts for my XT-IDE R2 board which i've had for a loong time.

I know this has come up before in the past but can't remember if there was a definitive answer or find one :-

IBM PC 5150
64K - 256K Mobo
10/27/82 Bios
16-bit IDE / Floppy controller with CF Card and Adapter
XT-IDE BIOS

A while back i tested my 16-bit IDE / Floppy / Multi I/O cards in my 5150 ( Note: They all work perfectly in my IBM XT 5160 ) and could not get any of them to work, ie: The bios did not find the CF Card.

I decided to try again with R567 XT-IDE BIOS and it looks like the bios is finding the CF Card or something but displays an @ symbol instead of displaying " CF Card " when it detects one. I get an error when trying to access the card.

Has anyone got a 16-bit controller with CF Card / adapter working in a 5150 ?.
Krille , James any ideas ?

Did you try manually setting the mode to 16-bit adapter in 8-bit slot?

Yep, Card is set correctly, Previously when i tried (a long while back) the CF card was not detected at all and "Not Found" was displayed but with r567 it detects " Something " and displays an " @ " symbol but obviously trying to access the CF Card fails.

Same controller / CF Card / Adapter / Bios works perfect in my 5160.

Interesting - what else is in the 5150; anything listening on 170h? Also, is the CF card connected directly to the card header, or via a ribbon cable?

Just the IBM Mono card and IBM floppy controller, I've tried everything i can think of now and still no worky, I've used 40 and 80 core cables and had the cf card / adapter plugged directly in the ide header, I give up now i can live with it, just weird it doesn't work when the same set up works perfectly in my 5160.

It might be that the 5150 ISA bus buffer isn't sensitive enough to pick up the signals from the CF card through the cable if the multi-IO adapter doesn't have a buffer on it (can you spot a 74LS245 on the card, for example?).

i will try the auto detection test later! it dose fail! I do not think it works normally with my XT-IDE 2 card
compatibility mode
the default i think 30....

the 286 cannot have 2 drives! but it works with 1 drive only which is strange

I think the xtide bios canot detect 2 hard drives well ...
auto detection works but with oprom.bin version 0.11 only, on my XT that is, which has 2 really large hdds
all i know is that the bios is not autodetecting hard drives like it is supposed to when there is 2 hard drives

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, the autodetection I'm talking about is the detection of IDE controllers in XTIDECFG, not the detection of drives by the BIOS when booting. Although I am of course interested in problems with that too.

If the card is jumpered for compatibility mode then XTIDECFG should detect it as an XTIDE rev1 card because that is basically what it is from the software's point of view. If you jumper it to hi-speed mode then it should be detected as an XTIDE rev2. Also note that the autodetection in XTIDECFG doesn't care what BIOS is programmed in the ROM (on the card or elsewhere), what matters is the BIOS loaded in XTIDECFG. To detect an XTIDE card (rev 1 or rev 2) you need to load a BIOS with MODULE_8BIT_IDE. In r567 all the BIOS files contain this module so any of them should work for autodetection.

The OPROM.BIN version 0.11 is an older BIOS made by hargle and is not a version of the XTIDE Universal BIOS. You probably know this already but I mention it because some people seem to be confused about this.

As for the 286 with 2 drives; make sure both drives are jumpered correctly. Some very old drives need jumpers specifically for compatibility with other certain drive models. Also make sure the IDE cable is OK.

I decided to try again with R567 XT-IDE BIOS and it looks like the bios is finding the CF Card or something but displays an @ symbol instead of displaying " CF Card " when it detects one. I get an error when trying to access the card.

Has anyone got a 16-bit controller with CF Card / adapter working in a 5150 ?.
Krille , James any ideas ?

Judging by the lack of responses, you are apparently the only one with a 16-bit IDE controller in a 5150. :stern: I guess there isn't much else to do but wait until someone else tries this. Or, if someone knows the differences in hardware between the 5150 and 5160 that could also potentially be very helpful.

Judging by the lack of responses, you are apparently the only one with a 16-bit IDE controller in a 5150. :stern: I guess there isn't much else to do but wait until someone else tries this. Or, if someone knows the differences in hardware between the 5150 and 5160 that could also potentially be very helpful.

Haha :) It's not that i want or need a 16-bit IDE controller in my 5150, It's just that i was curios as to why it doesn't work, My curiosity has died off now and she's back to the way she's always been a twin 360k floppy machine.

Great news!

Yes it will work with the original; use the 8K binaries.

Aitotat - don't suppose the flash utility supports sst39sf0x0a chips?

I've just been playing around with my IBM 5150 which has an XT-CF Lite board installed. From the information I get from jimmy, who gave me the computer, it is a revision 4. During boot, I get the 4 blue/cyan bars at the top of the screen, and just below those, I get what appears to be an error 601.

Then a couple of lines below that, I get another message stating Slave @300h Not Found after loading the AST clock and Norton Commander.

Everything SEEMS to be OK at that point, but being somewhat of a perfectionist these inconsistencies still bother me. Are these important? Looking at the autoexec, does it appear that anything is inherently wrong with the setup?

Attempting to fix a problem that just occurred and cannot seem to resolve.

I just got this 5150 working with an XT-CF Lite with XT-IDE universal BIOS. Everything was working OK. The CF card I'm using is a 32 Meg Sandisk. I added a directory of programs to the card that I was going to bring over to me other 5150 via floppy. The floppy disc was not inserted yet. When I booted the computer it displayed 4 "menu items" showing. Then below it shows "Master@300H Not Found" and under that "Slave@300H Not Found". I cannot get the system to boot into DOS on the CF card. My autoexec.bat reads as follows:

ECHO OFF
CLS
PATH=C:\DOS;NCMNDER
PROMPT $P$G
C:\AST\ASTCLOCK
C:\NCMNDER\NC
VER

What am I missing?

Back