• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Yay - Acorn !

Gary C

Veteran Member
Post thread Yay, one for my favourite machines ;)

Anyone have a PSU for a Master 128 kicking about. Just got a really cheap one thats missing the PSU. Have a suitable replacement due from RS which should be fine, but would really would like either a working original or just the metal casing to put the new one in.

Bit of a collection of Beebs

BBC B issue 7 with 8271 disk interface + 6502 second processor + Dual disk drive with a Gotek
BBC A issue 2 with the BBC mandated linear PSU, original box and invoices :)
Master 128 with no PSU !

Have thought about building an acorn system computer as most of the bits still seem to be available plus someone makes the PCB's

Except that's an exchange unit and they charge you an extra £60 to buy outright,

£105 for a PSU is a bit steep.

New PSU turned up from RS and its tiny :)

Going to have to make up a cage to mount it and a mains switch in. Good job I got a sheet metal bender for Christmas.

Not sure that's a measure with any real relevance. I agree, its worth what someone will pay, and thus its not worth it to me, and therefore a bit steep for me. Maybe not for others.

Maybe I will change my mind at some point, but I do fancy having a crack at making a somewhat of a replica PSU cage. I might use some perforated aluminium from RS folded in the original shape and see if that looks ok.

At one time there was a guy on Ebah UK selling BBC Micro and Master PSU's, He fitted brand new Meanwell PSU's in the old cage, IIRC price's were quite reasonable at around £45 ish, That was Exchange though, To buy one outright was a bit more but not that much.

Had a chat with Andrew from CJE and asked if they had any failed master PSU's that were not worth them repairing so I could fit a modern unit in and have got one for a very reasonable price.

I might have a quick look to see if its repairable but it will be simpler to replace as I cannot find any drawings for the Master PSU.

Turned up today.

Fantastic service.

Well thats a bit of luck.

Half way through drawing out the Master 128 PSU, though I might as well see what happened when plugged in and it works !

12V is a little low but thats probably going to be ok. It did have a blown 5A fuse on the little daughter card, so I think I need to give it a loaded test before putting in the machine.

Can I keep up the effort and finally draw out the whole circuit :)

New PSU was an original BBC Master PSU that I got cheap as a non-runner and turned out to work once the internal fuse had been replaced.

Need to get back to diagnosing this machine but a Hazeltine 1500 has taken over time, that and our granddaughter !

Back