• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Yes, we're missing the file!

Rick Ethridge

Veteran Member
I have a Creative Labs EncoreDXR-3 MPEG decoder card and the requisite Win2000 driver. Somehow I lost the beta DVD viewer software. Without the software my rare Thunderbird Athlon 950 struggles to watch movies and uses lots of CPU resources. The card requires the software to function properly. Please help me watch movies on a very old (relatively speaking) computer. Thank you.

My antivirus won't let me download from Driverguide unless I disable it. If I have no other choice, then I use some old junker I have around here to do the deed. I remember a time when simple registration was all you needed for that resource, now you have to run a gauntlet of PUPs (potentially unwanted programs). A bullsh*t euphemism if there ever was one. Perhaps their dollars will keep them warm in hell.

I remember a time when simple registration was all you needed for that resource

Yeah. And people loved it for that and kept uploading everything they had there, making the database and reputation grow. But when that happened somebody decided to go for the profitability route, initially with payment and now with ads.
Perhaps holding the website, large database and download servers have a cost, maybe we shouldn't be so hard on them. I think they can manage it perfectly fine with healthy ads that are neither threats nor annoying to people. That way they'll get their reputation back and a lot more visits that will give them more money from ads.

An Athlon 950Mhz can't decode MPEG-2 in real time? You wouldn't want the buggy and useless Creative "beta" drivers anyway (I never got them working on 2k without blue screens of fun). Sigma Designs (who actually made the card) released drivers for the REALMagic Hollywood Plus MPEG2 decoder card that actually worked for most people.

https://web.archive.org/web/2006042...m/support/download_hollywood_plus_win2000.htm

Of course the drivers were on an FTP site and didn't get archived. A search for the file names reveals there are copies floating around.

I believe I have either a DXR-2 or DXR-3 at home. I bought it new so I know I also have the software. I'll flip through my CD cases tonight to see if I can find it.

Heather

The Dxr3 kit was originally released with Windows 9x and NT drivers. Creative had started on Win2k drivers (likely a re-brand of the Sigma Designs drivers), but later ceased support entirely for the product. The Sigma Designs REALMagic Hollywood Plus driver and player for 2000/XP works with the card.

These appear to be the latest Creative drivers for Win2k: ftp://ftp.pcf.pl/Drivers/Multimedia/Creative/DXR3/

Also direct from Creative: http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Drivers/Others/346/ENCORE_DXR3.EXE

Last edited:
Back