• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Yet Another Intro

BetaCarotene

Since I've finally mustered up the courage to join the VCFed, might as well introduce myself. I'm technically a collector, though really I'm just more the kind of person who sees something old and wants to give it a god home. This, has, of course, led to me having just a few too many computers, and actually too many video game consoles. Seriously, I have a Master System simply because I found it in good working condition. I was previously in New Mexico, but now I'm slowly sucking up neat old junk in the greater Omaha Area.

As for my interests, currently there's a lot of Apple. Sure, their company has a lot of corporate issues, but boy is the hardware from previous eras (and the new era) really neat. I also have a soft spot for Pentium Era PC hardware, which was fuelled by finding a lot of it for cheap.

My possessions that fit the place, though, are as follows:
A beaten up VIC-20 with missing keys (but an otherwise working keyboard)
A CIB Timex Sinclair 1000 (which I bought as a joke at the same time as my Model M)
A mostly CIB TI-99/4A with an actually unusable mylar keyboard
From apple - ROM 3 IIGS, SE/30 (socketed CPU), LCII, 7100/80AV, B&W G3 400
DOS - A 486 VLB that can only see 503MB and refuses to work with Serial, multiple Pentium 1/Slot1 boards, a lot of sound cards, (With an SC-55 and an AWE 64 Gold with an official 8MB expansion being the jewels)

Welcome. I am also a newbie but have been lurking for a few years.

I would love to find a VIC-20. I did pick up a C64 at a garage sale a few years ago. The first computer I put my hands was a PET in Junior High School.

My area of focus is the Intel 8088 to the Pentium 4. But I also have a few Apple systems.

Seaken

Welcome to the forum. The IIgs with its 65c816 processor instead of the more common 68000 from the era has always fascinated me.

Welcome to the forum. The IIgs with its 65c816 processor instead of the more common 68000 from the era has always fascinated me.
The backwards compatibility was probably the reason for it when it comes to the IIGS, and might have also been part of the choice for using it in the Super Nintendo. With the IIGS, it can run just about anything that can run on later CMOS Apple IIs.

Oh definitely. It seems like Woz wanted it to be a Apple II, just a better one, and the fact that the 65816 can boot into 6502 mode was part of that choice.

Back