• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your BEST deal...

curtis said:
So... if anyone is interested in a DOA PX-8 with 3 binders of documentation and Portable Wordstar and Calc, BASIC, and Utility ROM's, and A/C adapter, drop me a line with an offer!

Curtis

I'm kinda broke right now, but mebbe after the next check...(VA disability comes out on the first of the month). Or mebbe a swap...? Need anything?

--T

[quote="Terry Yager"

I'm kinda broke right now, but mebbe after the next check...(VA disability comes out on the first of the month). Or mebbe a swap...? Need anything?

--T[/quote]

Well, I've always wanted the red or blue versions of the NEC PC-8201...

Just kidding, sort of!

Contact me off line at curtismc@cox.net and let's see what sort of arrangements we can come up with.

Curtis

Best deal to date... I've had many some listes here:

18 MicroVax3100s, 20 terminals (VT320s) 4 TLZ04s, 3 TK50Z, misc
cables. ALL FREE, I had to pit it up in vermont (I live in eastern MA.).

6 complete Compupro system with 85/88 cpus disks and at least 500
disks with OS and software. All working. Also came with a job so I
guess they paid me.

PDP-8f also free.

Three complete PDP11/23s also free. Some with SCSI IO.

But this is the killer.

I wasn't even seeking this one it found me.

Complete All Mits Altair 8800B-T dual disk system in a desk rack with software and working. Free, pick it up. Build date 1978, provenence is single owner used for business until about 6 years ago and occasionally since.

The only systems I've paid money for (beyond a few dollars) are ones I bought new at the time. My Altair 8800 (non A version), first NS*Horizon
and TI99/4A, AmproLB+ and the software of the time for each. After that
(about 1985) I stopped buying and started collecting systems I'd otherwise could not afford that were being tossed in the dumpster(skip for the Euros). My association with DEC got me some of the material as scrap or unwanted as well. In the end some of the neatest gear like my Visual 1050 CP/M+ system sorta found me because I had my eyes and ears open.

Allison

I've had a couple best finds.....

IBM PC-330 100DX4
An old roomie got this at the bank where she worked. It came with an IBM G40 monitor with a damaged cord, an IBM Model "M" keyboard in pristine shape, and a Compaq PS/2 mouse. It's not a very collectable system I know, but I owned it for about 5-7 years, used it really hard (running Windows 98 SE on 64 MB of RAM). How much did I pay, just time to fix her other computer which was faster.

The Three Laptops on E-bay
I had wanted a cheap laptop to fool with, but all efforts on E-bay to procure an older 486 laptop proved futile. I either ended up with a DOA Twinhead, a working Twinhead missing parts (including the uber-rare and expensive power supply), and a quazi-generic (ProStar) with broken LCD hinges. So I searched around on E-bay under the term "Oddball Laptops" and came across an auction for a Duracom 5110D (same as my Prostar except with a colored screen), an old Ergo 33 MHz 486 (which I jury rigged and used till the LCD died), and an AT&T Safari complete with 540 MB Hard Disk and (then) working NiMH batteries. I still need new batteries for my Duracom 5110D though, and more RAM. I could probably make it a decent Windows 98 SE box someday.

The AT&T Safari is on my wish-list. I just like it for the optical illusion in it's logo. Stand back about 3 feet and stare at the "Safari" nameplate below the screen, and let your eyes go just a little out-of-focus. Report back here and tell us what you seem to see. It's waaay kewl.

--T

Terry Yager said:
The AT&T Safari is on my wish-list. I just like it for the optical illusion in it's logo. Stand back about 3 feet and stare at the "Safari" nameplate below the screen, and let your eyes go just a little out-of-focus. Report back here and tell us what you seem to see. It's waaay kewl.

--T

(Church Lady Voice) Could It Be.....(dramatic music cue)...*gasp* Satan!

You know, I never noticed that before. At first I thought you were crazy, then I realized that the white text on the grey plastic does a really good job at hiding certain small things about the Safari lettering.

Mad-Mike said:
Terry Yager said:

--T

You know, I never noticed that before. At first I thought you were crazy, then I realized that the white text on the grey plastic does a really good job at hiding certain small things about the Safari lettering.

The thing I have to wonder about is whether or not it's an accidental trick of the lighting. Logic tells me that it could have been by design. Someone who knows about subliminal messages (like advertizers) could have easily done it, but why is the question. (Not to sound like a raving anti-government conspiracy nutcase, but the US government was a big customer for them).

--T

Terry Yager said:
Mad-Mike said:
Terry Yager said:

--T

The thing I have to wonder about is whether or not it's an accidental trick of the lighting. Logic tells me that it could have been by design. Someone who knows about subliminal messages (like advertizers) could have easily done it, but why is the question. (Not to sound like a raving anti-government conspiracy nutcase, but the US government was a big customer for them).

--T

Yeah, quite amazing how I can see it without really blurring my eyes at all. If I got more wear marks on the letters, I'd probably have to watch where I take that PC, I might make some really up-tight person mad.

Is someone going to post a picture of this logo for the rest of us?? :)

Erik

Erik said:
Is someone going to post a picture of this logo for the rest of us?? :)

Erik

I dunno if it'll work from a picture or not, be interesting to find out. It's kinda like those "Magic-Eye" picture books that were popular a few years ago. If you look at it a certain way, the logo transforms into something quite different. (The difference is that everyone sees this, unlike the Magic-Eye thinggy that some people can see and others can't).

--T

Well that ups anyone but I don't think it should count. You're a CPM
and DEC computer personality and have access that most of us mortals could only hope for. I'd kill for a PDP8f and likely spend the rest of my wasted life finding out how to use it.

I was going to posit a TRS 80 model 2 with 3 of the huge 5 meg HDDs
as well as 8" floppies containing TRS Dos and CP/M, Scripsit, and XENIX
and a bunch of other apps and a couple of modems plus a bunch of other stuff that I got for free, but I've only been reduced to an envious, quivering blob of a failed collector. snivel, snivel.

But at least I still have my Micom 2000, with the Qume printer and it's 30 lb. power supply, as well as 5 daisy wheels and a box of printer tapes as well as a 20lb box of docs and SW. It cost $10.00 but I had to take it home from the thrift shop with a borrowed dolly. 15 blocks thru downtown Toronto, since I didn't have wheels and couldn't afford a taxi. Now that's
commitment (or lunacy).

Lawrence

Allison said:
Best deal to date... I've had many some listes here:

18 MicroVax3100s, 20 terminals (VT320s) 4 TLZ04s, 3 TK50Z, misc
cables. ALL FREE, I had to pit it up in vermont (I live in eastern MA.).

6 complete Compupro system with 85/88 cpus disks and at least 500
disks with OS and software. All working. Also came with a job so I
guess they paid me.

PDP-8f also free.

Three complete PDP11/23s also free. Some with SCSI IO.

But this is the killer.

I wasn't even seeking this one it found me.

Complete All Mits Altair 8800B-T dual disk system in a desk rack with software and working. Free, pick it up. Build date 1978, provenence is single owner used for business until about 6 years ago and occasionally since.

The only systems I've paid money for (beyond a few dollars) are ones I bought new at the time. My Altair 8800 (non A version), first NS*Horizon
and TI99/4A, AmproLB+ and the software of the time for each. After that
(about 1985) I stopped buying and started collecting systems I'd otherwise could not afford that were being tossed in the dumpster(skip for the Euros). My association with DEC got me some of the material as scrap or unwanted as well. In the end some of the neatest gear like my Visual 1050 CP/M+ system sorta found me because I had my eyes and ears open.

Allison

Micom 2000 said:
Well that ups anyone but I don't think it should count. You're a CPM
and DEC computer personality and have access that most of us mortals could only hope for. I'd kill for a PDP8f and likely spend the rest of my wasted life finding out how to use it.

I was going to posit a TRS 80 model 2 with 3 of the huge 5 meg HDDs
as well as 8" floppies containing TRS Dos and CP/M, Scripsit, and XENIX
and a bunch of other apps and a couple of modems plus a bunch of other stuff that I got for free, but I've only been reduced to an envious, quivering blob of a failed collector. snivel, snivel.

Seriously most of the systems and peices I found were either with the help of others or plain old persistance. My time at DEC got me little and some of the best stuff like all those VAXen was because a 400mi round trip didn't scare me.

As to the personality part, no not really. The only thing I lay claim to is being around for a long time and listening for the knock of opprtunity at the door. That and starting with building an Altair back in early 75
was the hook.

Learning the PDP-8. That is a genuine simple machine. Seriously that was
why it was so successful. There's literally not much to it. That alone makes it both understandable and desireable. That simplicity is why it ended up in labs all over the place especially schools where people were
using it like a PC and making their own interfaces for it.

Your trs80 M2 is a find. I don't collect trs-80s generally though during my time with Tandy it did leave me with a TRS80 m1 with the first version -A circuit board.

Allison

Back