• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your Cars/Trucks/Bikes

mbbrutman - that is SWEEEEEET! I got to go up in one of those low-wing Pipers once and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life!

hehe, that engine does indeed look impressive, next to the 2.3L Slant-4 in my car...

My car is a 1986 Volvo 240. She's fairly young for a 240, has only 275,000 KM's on her. Durable, reliable, and problem free. The only real issue she has is some bad rust on the sill (it used to be on both sills, but I cut off and replaced one. Will have to get around to doing the other side sometime).

It's pretty slow off the line, but cruises nicely. 114HP pulling 3500+ lb's tends to have that effect :D

Yey, a fellow 240 owner! Seems like you have the B230F engine too? B230F has the most boring camshafts of all Volvos (type M), but it gives good torque as you might know. 113 BHP / ~180 Nm.

Mine is an '87 DL, nothing optional but power steering. About 217 000 km on it, so it'll probably run for another 30 years without major troubles. Gets about 30 mpg at 90 km/h.

DSC02212_small.JPG

DSC02215_small.JPG

More pics at: http://wernstroem.cl3m.net/disk0/2009.01.02-MLStvaett/

As for the V8 history, I'm not so sure. Volvo had a V8 in the 50's for trucks called B36, basically two B18's welded together. And the B30 (I6 engine, found in Volvo 164) is basically 1 ½ B20...

Another funny story about volvo; When they released the Volvo 960 it spotted a brand new I6 engine. When people wanted something with better mileage than the I6 but more power than the I4:s they simply cut off one cylinder and the famous Volvo I5 was born (used in the 850 series and many other models). A few years back they announced a new I6 engine, with roots in the I5.... :)

dongfeng: A dolly sprint! :) I recently watched the top gear episode where they tried to find good cars made by british leyland. The sprint did get my attention even though it didn't win.

Right now, I'm saving up for a 2000-2006 Chevy Tahoe or Suburban. I'll probably go with the 5.3 L V8 since the models with the 8.1 L is so heavy they are registred as trucks here, and you need to have a special driving license....................... But I'll always keep my 240.

one more edit: The B234(F?) was rated at 156 BHP in the Volvo 740, at least here in Sweden. I have a friend that drives a 740 GLT with a B234, quite some difference from my B230F... :/ It's just a "winter car" for him, since he prefers ricer cars....... :D But it's in good shape, and he got it for around $550. Do I need to mention that I'm kind of jelaous of all of you who lives in the USA? A V8 powered car for $450? I'd buy that for a dollar! (Anyone who get's the reference gets a free pat on the back)

Last edited:
What do you own?
I've got 2 AMC Eagles, a rare 81 Kammback with 300,000+ Miles, I'm restoring her
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, was my daily driver until the rear main seal wenk, so now I'm trying to find a suitable 4.0HO for her
and my daily driver until I get my 83 Fixed is a 95 F150 XLT 302, 7MPG, and she's not even fast
Me and my dad are "working" on a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, I hope we actually get to that someday

Didn't we already have this thread?
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=2926

Was just thinking about my new car, and realized ya'll don't know about it or my last one.

About a month ago I traded the dumpy old S10 off for a nice 1990 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 Silverado. Best trade I ever made. Looks rough, but has A/C, a nice interior, custom center console, and seats 8. Damn comfortable seats, too. 176,000 miles, runs like new. This is my 3rd vehicle. V8 350, power everything.

Well I'm not the kind of man to pass up a good deal(I find it impossible, as a matter of fact) and Saturday came across a 1992 Dodge Dynasty for $500. 14,642 miles, looks brand new. Velour seating, very comfy. Cruise control, nice system, looks great inside and out. Seats 6, has child locks(not necessary at this time in my life), and power everything. Except, I swear the brakes are manual, or minimal assist. Drives like it's brand new(Hell, barely broken in!) has a 3.3l V6 and automatic transmission. Maintenance records for the last few years, new tires, new brakes, new oil, only thing it needed was exhaust work. Replaced the pipe from the catalytic converter all the way back, including the muffler. Didn't have a resonator installed though, it's quiet enough and those just hold water and rust away.

So now I have to sell the Suburban ($1000 OBO), but it had a good month of driving with me. Actually, not even that yet.

--Ryan
The new Dynasty
The old Suburban

Last edited:
Looks like you got a bargain there, but ... did Dodge have to pay extra for a cad package with CURVES in it? Even the clock's square!

Nice car, but it won't haul as many puters as the 'burb did.

BTW, check the brake power booster. Sit in the car and with the engine off, pump the brake pedal a few times to bleed off any air trapped in the vacuum lines. Hold the pedal down the last time and start the engine. The pedal should drop about an inch as the engine starts. If it doesn't drop, repair/replace the vacuum booster unit.

--T

Last edited:
I usually ride my Vespa 125 ETS (1985, one of the fastest Vespa 125), just for the sake of speed, but I also own an awesome 1971 Vespa 50 Special (first model, 3 gears, beautiful)... And yes, I'm a Vespa addict :)

1191p.jpg

I'm also waiting for a Fantic 50 (not sure about year/model) trial bike.

I also drive a Fiat Panda, but that's not a great or vintage car at all :mrgreen:

This is a great thread, interesting to read about so many American cars I've never even heard of before :lol:

I have a new car too ;)

My 1978 Dolomite Sprint (see page 5) dropped a valve (the cam-to-pulley bolts snapped :eek: ), so is in need of a complete engine rebuild. Bit of a pain, as the engine only had 10K on it...

Luckily I came across a 1980 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Automatic in Brooklands Green :D

P1020452.JPG

Had one owner from 1980 to 2000, and is totally original and unrestored with 70K on the clock. The previous owner drove it on the "Round Britain Reliability Run" (2000 miles in 2 days). It also has a brand new engine.

Snapped up for £300 ($450) :D

I'm going to fit the correct wheels (has early ones on it at the moment) and repaint the roof as the paint is thin.

It was also registered 3 months after production ended in August 1980, so it's gotta be one of the last ones built!

It's also quite rare - according to the owners club there are less than 40 1500HL Autos registered on the road in the UK :(

Last edited:
TandyMan tried to make a new car thread, but being shot down, I will instead ressurect this one.

I'm on car #9 since my 87 Cutlass...I now drive a 78 Ford Thunderbird. Bought it for $1K off the original owner. All original inside and out, runs perfect, drives smooth. Cruise control, AM/FM radio, 351M V8 with an FMX auto trans. 73,000 when I bought it, 76,000 now. All my cars: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Yzzerdd Please note the Cutlass counts twice...I bought it back for a mere $50, then sold her again for $850.

--Ryan
PIC-0292..jpgPIC-0291..jpg

Last edited:
My transportation has changed a lot in a year!

My current rides:

88 Dodge Ram D100 - 84 D250 chassis and drivetrain, 318 with Edelbrock TM5 intake and 1406 carb, D60 8-lug rear with 3:55 gears. Built 360 with a hot cam on the stand!

89 Toyota MR2 - Fresh from the body shop. Entire body has been customized in some way. Custom red paint blend with red and gold flake. Every inch of this car has been changed! Specs on that one here http://www.cardomain.com/id/aaron7

64 Honda CA95 'Baby Dream' - Stripped to the bare frame and restore-modded. Fender isn't mounted in the pic yet.

DSC03783.jpg

SSPX2701.jpg

20497600210_large.jpg

SSPX2742.jpg

Merl, how does it do being hit by a city bus? as in fortified cage, side air bags, that kind of stuff?

It is a good looking van, grant you that one.

I love my 2006 Toyota Sienna van. From the day I got it, it was obvious that they used their vast delivery truck making experience in the construction and design. You can tell it's a truck chassis with a van shell on top V6, tons o' power, 25.5 mpg (which I can't believe, that's better than I get with the 1997 Mazda Protege with 2 liter motor).

I rented one of those once, *really* nice rides, though I had a hell of a time figuring out how to load the CD player. Suprised the heck out of me when the pedal was crushed ;) power to spare in those.

Right now, or in total? 'cause I don't think people are going to appreciate me if I post the list. It's long.

Right now, I have a 1982 Toyota Supra, a 1977 Toyota Celica (Yes, the ones that look like old Mustangs) and a 1988 Toyota Corolla All-Trac Wagon (Full time four wheel drive, locking center differential, and a 1.6L DOHC, fuel-injected four-cylinder. It is a monster in the snow.)

I like my Toyotas. I've owned a silly number of Celicas and Supras.

We are down to a few...

The Daily drivers are a 2006 mustang and a 2000 honda civic..

The "Tow Rig" is a 1978 Ford e-250 4x4 Van (pathfinder conversion).
4048210869_3feb6bd517.jpg

The Off-road Rig is a modified 1992 Ford explorer..
4499950105_eb60ca4c12.jpg

and of course, the workhorse around the property.. (fix driveway etc).
1940 Farmall H.
3485780573_c91e03ccda.jpg

We also have a pair of motorcycles (Kawasaki zx-6 and ninja 500) which I'm sad to say haven't been ridden in over a year..

~Mark

I've been a bit of a VW nut for quite a while. Over the past 25 years I've had more than 30, including a 57 oval window bug, a 55 Convertible that had a tree growing through it when I bought it, 70 Westfalia Camper, 67 Singlecab, Barris sand buggy. and 85 Wolfsburg Edition Golf Convertible. But I have always wanted but never owned a Karmann Ghia so if anyone knows where one is (preferably very cheap)....

nice looking truck. you should have posted them pictures on the dodge forum after you completed the body swap. those rims look way better in black than the grey they use to be.
I own a 91 dodge d150 shortbox with a carburated 318 with a 727 transmition and 3.55 gears. the engine has a RV cam in it for increased low end torque and better fuel efficiency on the high way. it gets between 18-25mpg.
i also have alot of bicycle that i ride daily because they are free.

Back