• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

your largest application

I don't think that anybody was bragging about lines of code. To me it looks like people were contributing data points.

I don't think that anybody was bragging about lines of code. To me it looks like people were contributing data points.

Sure Mike, I understand that but I think the original poster was looking for an idea of what was the valued part of coding. The more lines of code, the more likely there is something that was overlooked. Every branch in the final code is a potential location of serious errors.
I agree that we couldn't be where we are now without things like object coding. The problem is that I'm not all that sure that were we are is all that good. Hiding all the details is only a good thing if someone understands the details. You see so many case where the programmer chose the easy path and missed the details.
Even 256 bit floating point has limits. Most that use them haven't the slightest idea of what they are ( as an example ).
Dwight

I just felt like asking. Surely all of the inputs were worthwhile, some are zany as all get out (in a good way), and a tiny bit of bragging never hurt no one. If you've pounded out several thousand lines of code and the package works we'll, you've earned the right imo. Cryptic, arcane , low level stuff impresses me the most.

I have to complete my review of C, long overdue. Then move on to one or two other books. Then ... MINIX. I endeavor to get that running on an old beast, a Northstar Dimension. As the original OS is absent. Assuming I'm successful, then the fun begins. That is getting the seperate largely IBM compatible daughter cards to be recognized and be able to accomplish something useful. Omgosh. Or I could just locate the original OS somewhere. But I'm not counting on it.

My largest program is a few hundred lines of code written in C# as a GUI front-end for labeling software. Not as cool or impressive as some of the others, but meh, that's my contribution.

Back