• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your "Must-have" computers

While technically not a computer, I've always loved the look of the DEC VT05. I've also got a thing for early all-in-one computers, like the PETs and the TRS-80 Model 3/4. I have absolutely no practical use for any of them, it's all about the way they look...

Wow, you have a Cray Y-MP or Cray 3? I'm impressed.
No, but i dont want Cray computers, im not live in hangar :)

Most of all architectures im have: many x86, apple, ZX spectum clones, commodore64, amiga, atari, alpha server, soviet PDP-11/x86/ZX spectum architecture clones. And more of 20 notebooks from 86 to PII

Now in the way form ebay:
Osborne1
HP jornada 720
Atari 400
TRS-80 Model 102

While technically not a computer, I've always loved the look of the DEC VT05. I've also got a thing for early all-in-one computers, like the PETs and the TRS-80 Model 3/4. I have absolutely no practical use for any of them, it's all about the way they look...

Yes, same here. I also like the Lear Siegler ADM 3A. I had a chance to get one a few years ago for $40, but I stupidly got the TRS-80 Model III instead (same price), thinking it would be more "useful". Then the CRT died.

You can get a DEC VT05 here:
http://hummingbirdsales.com/VT05.html

Unfortunately, it's $3600.

No, but i dont want Cray computers, im not live in hangar :)

Most of all architectures im have: many x86, apple, ZX spectum clones, commodore64, amiga, atari, alpha server, soviet PDP-11/x86/ZX spectum architecture clones. And more of 20 notebooks from 86 to PII

I don't think it would be possible for one to even be close to comprehensive in the mini- and microcomputer systems area. There must have been a thousand brands and tens of thousands of models, many of which most have never heard of.

Well, in my line of business, I don't have any "must have" computers as everything has a price. However, I'm going to keep one of the TRS-80 Model I systems because it was the first computer I ever repaired after getting a job as a Radio Shack Computer Repair Center manager.

I even found the keyboard with board #0000001 (I think it was the Rev. D) which I swapped out to the customer for a Rev G board because Tandy in Fort Worth wanted it back for their museum.

I don't know if I would consider it a must have, but I would really like an HP 1000 with a HP 2645A Terminal. Unfortunately, they have become very rare and expensive

I was outbid on a HP 2647A terminal just a couple months ago. It went for $133 - just $2 more than my maximum bid.

monoxrom, we understand. You have all the other computers you'd want already.. that's quite a good accomplishment.

I feel like this became the must get vs must have thread. IMHO I feel like this is something say, an enthusiast shows up and asks what would be the first computers I should go for in my collection? While value may not be there I still stick to the basics or firsts though. I guess I don't have a simple 1 computer answer :-( Commodore 64 = Best selling computer of all time (historically significant). If you follow that train of thought the Sony PS2 has the record for most sold consoles. Commodore 64sx = first color portable personal computer. IBM 5150 (I'm honestly a little confused with the first BIOS and if it was the 5150 or 5160), but that spun off the first IBM PC clone (Columbia Data Products MPC 1600), and the first IBM compatible portable computer the Compaq Portable I.

I'll stop there. If it was my dream list of what I would feel complete having it's an Altair, IBM 5100, and I don't know how or why but I wish I could eventually end up with Honeywell 316 (Kitchen computer).

I feel like this became the must get vs must have thread. IMHO I feel like this is something say, an enthusiast shows up and asks what would be the first computers I should go for in my collection? While value may not be there I still stick to the basics or firsts though.
I'll stop there. If it was my dream list of what I would feel complete having it's an Altair, IBM 5100, and I don't know how or why but I wish I could eventually end up with Honeywell 316 (Kitchen computer).

I was confused when I first read the opening post. What is considered must have? There are a number of computers I think most of us would really want but are unobtainable due to the enormous price they sell for.

That being said, I could list several that I would consider the most valuable (not necessarily money wise) in my collection and ones that are unobtainable.

An Altair or IMSAI are unobtainable for me So is a Heathkit H8. The oldest Heathkit I have is an H89 and I have most of the models made since then.

Mine would be the first 4 computers I ever owned. Which coincidentally were the only ones I ever really fell in love with because each one had distinct and often temper-mental 'personality!'

Commodore VIC-20
Tandy 1000 A
Northgate 386DX/20
AT&T 3B2/500

Yes, i will want Altair 8800 too, recently saw him on ebay
price 700$ - not such a big, amount only 56 times reinstall windows :D:D:D

I'm wishing for a Norsk Data ND-5000, or, if not, an ND-500, or, if not, an ND-100. I used to have them around.. not anymore. :-(

I've been wishing for a Pet 2001 with chicklet keyboard and tape drive.

And today I got one!

Later,
dabone

p.s. need help in the commodore section..

1) Apple II GS w/ 3.5 and the 5.25 floppies - Gets you compatibility with 99.999% of the Apple II software catalog.
2) Commodore 128 w/ 3.5 and 5.25 floppies - Gets you compatibility with 99.999% of the Commodore 64/128 software catalog.
3) Macintosh SE/30 - Decent compatibility with earlier Mac software but with enough horsepower to get you into some of the more interesting later compact Mac software. IMO it's the compact Mac to own, although I suppose a Color Classic would be nice, too.
4) Amiga 2000 w/ Fat Agnus and Super Denise. The ECS system to own, and the Amiga ECS software base is more compelling (to me) than the AGA stuff.
5) 33 MHz 386DX w/ VGA, 16-32MB RAM - w/ slowdown utils it'll probably give you software compatibility with 90-95% of PC software written before 1994.

4) Amiga 2000 w/ Fat Agnus and Super Denise. The ECS system to own

I disagree with that. The Amiga 3000 is the ECS system to own - fully 32-bit, Zorro III, VGA out, expandable to 2MB Chip and 16MB Fast RAM on-board - and it looks way better than an A2000.

I'd rather have an expanded A500 than an A2000. The sleek, computer-in-a-keyboard look feels more "Amiga-like" to me. In my Amiga 500, I've got the Viper 520 (33MHz 68020, 68881 FPU, 32-bit 3.0 ROMs, 8MB Fast RAM, IDE with 4GB CF card), 2MB Chip, Super Denise and DCTV for displaying 24-bit images.

I like it even better than my A3000 - and it's twice as fast.

The A2000 has some good things going for it compared to the A500. RAM upgrades are easier and cheaper on the 2000, so are HD expansion, plus you can use and old KS 1.3 ROM for game compatability.

I have an A2000 and an A500, the 500 plays bootable old games while the 2000 plays HD installable old games (both with KS 1.3).

While the A1200 and A4000 support IDE, it is the old pre DMA standard so SCSI is actually better.

Finding A3000 ZIP RAM is hard and expensive, 72 pin SIMMs for the 4000 can be found all over the place for free or close to it.

I wasn't comparing how hard to find or expensive the actual upgrades are, just what I think the ultimate ECS machine would be.

Actually, these days A2000 accelerators are just as impossible to find as for the A500. I know - I've also got an A2000 and gave up looking for a reasonably priced accelerator after years of searching.

The Viper 520 has 3.0 ROMs and a jumper to switch to the A500 on-board 1.3 ROM. I never use it. I can also softkick 1.3, but I never have to use that either. Every game I could possibly want to run works in WHDload - either with a slave made for the game, or booting WB 1.3 with the WHDload WB 1.3 slave.

Last edited:
Yeah, a 3000 is okay, but honestly, they're kind of a pain in the ass to work on, the cheap IDE CF reader brackets don't mount in them without modification, and they're not as expandable. Also, I've had my 2000 for years, and I'm just partial to it...and it's got a 68030 and an Indivision ECS in it. At some point, I hope to luck into a 286 bridge board and a sanely priced network adapter, and then it'll be Amiga nirvana (for me.) Also, the only sane way to play games on an Amiga these days is WHDLoad, which makes a HDD a necessity, and makes fooling around with kickstarts unnecessary.

I don't mind the AGA systems, but honestly, both the 1200 and the 4000 are a little rich for my blood. I'm willing to indulge my Vintage Computer Otaku, but I have limits...mostly imposed by the wife! :D

Anyway, you milage may (and apparently does) vary. ...but you're insane if you'd rather have a 500 than a 2000. :p

Back