• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Z-80 CPU card in a IIGS?

smp

Veteran Member
Here's a question - since the Apple IIGS is supposed to be equivalent to a fully loaded Apple II computer with 80 column card, 128K RAM, serial I/O, floppy disk interfaces, etc. and it also has the physical slots, does anyone here have experience with attempting to install a Z-80 CPU card and trying to run Apple CP/M?

It's just a stray thought that I had. I have previously acquired the Z-80 Auxiliary Processor for my HP-86 system, and I got some help to get CP/M up and running on it, so why not try again with my new Apple IIGS? :D

Thanks for listening...

smp

Here's a question - since the Apple IIGS is supposed to be equivalent to a fully loaded Apple II computer with 80 column card, 128K RAM, serial I/O, floppy disk interfaces, etc. and it also has the physical slots, does anyone here have experience with attempting to install a Z-80 CPU card and trying to run Apple CP/M?

It's just a stray thought that I had. I have previously acquired the Z-80 Auxiliary Processor for my HP-86 system, and I got some help to get CP/M up and running on it, so why not try again with my new Apple IIGS? :D

Thanks for listening...

smp

I don't have any experience with CP/M myself but as long as you go into the GS control panel and set the slot you put the CP/M card into to "Your Card" you should have no trouble running it in the GS.

Dean

CP/M cards may also require that the system speed be set to Normal (1Mhz) in the control panel in order to work.

...as long as you go into the GS control panel and set the slot you put the CP/M card into to "Your Card" you should have no trouble running it in the GS.

Dean

CP/M cards may also require that the system speed be set to Normal (1Mhz) in the control panel in order to work.

Thanks very much, guys! I greatly appreciate your information.

smp

WHOA! Thank you very much. Recently, I have been going back and forth offering and counter-offering with a Seller on eBay who has a nice Microsoft SoftCard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26109177792...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_7070wt_1160

At this point, the Seller has offered a price that is too high for me (lucky me!). Now that I'm armed with this new information, I am definitely not going to be tempted to cave in and go for it.

It was a nice thought, to be able to run an auxiliary processor, as I have in my HP-86. It's good that you knew about this prior discussion, and could point me to it.

Thanks a million!
smp

Interesting that you posted this because (having recently acquired a IIGS) I was about to ask the forum exactly the same question.

Now I know.

Tez

Back