• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Zenith Datasystems V-286-LP - anyone have a motherboard manual?

Glen M

Experienced Member
I think that's the model number anyway... V-286-LP.

I recently acquired this machine in a large lot but I was wondering if anyone would have a motherboard manual? Everything works but I'd just like to have the manual to go with the board, always nice to know what the various jumpers are doing.

One other thing is that the CPU is on a daughter card. Never seen that before but I can only assume it was to allow an upgrade path and I have found some information suggesting that there was a 386-SX card available. I can't find any solid information on this though so if anyone had any further information regarding that, or even a picture, I would be forever grateful.

The machine came to me with just 1MB of ram installed. I've increased that to 4mb in total, added a network card and a COVOX soundmaster+ adlib clone (oddity in itself). Just kept the original 43mb hdd in there, yes its a bit small but its running fine and I can swap out files that I need over the network anyway. I might add an XT-IDE at some point, the BIOS itself is limited to the types of HDDs it supports.

Backplane-based systems were fairly common from ZDS. Not so much as an upgrade path (though that is a possibility) as much as it was a economy feature and prevented the owner from going to many generic boards. Had a ZDS 286 many years ago, but the nature of the backplane was too limiting.

Back