• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Zx Spectrum - "No solder" Composite Mod.

ScanDisk

Veteran Member
I still can't believe this actually works!

I've had a Zx Spectrum laying around in a draw for a long time, because I bought it not realizing it was PAL and I live in Canada, and I was having trouble getting the RF output to work for me, no matter what I tried.

Earlier today though, I came across one composite mod that didn't require solder. It is works simply by bypassing the RF modulator and connecting the video signal directly to the RCA jack.

The guy in the video just wrapped the ends of the wires tightly against the two points. Unfortunately I cut one end down too short to do that, and so I wanted to solder them, but my soldering iron turns out to be burnt out and I need to buy a new one. So for now I used mini alligator clips, and to my shock it actually works.

N3635bK.jpg

2Q4FFPm.jpg

If you are using soldered connections after all then it would be best to disconnect the UHF output of the modulator from the centre terminal of the RCA connector (if you have not already done that) before connecting your straight-through composite signal connector to the centre terminal instead. The output of the modulator may not care for having composite video connected to it, and your earlier posts make no mention of having disconnected it first.

If you are using soldered connections after all then it would be best to disconnect the UHF output of the modulator from the centre terminal of the RCA connector (if you have not already done that) before connecting your straight-through composite signal connector to the centre terminal instead. The output of the modulator may not care for having composite video connected to it, and your earlier posts make no mention of having disconnected it first.

I don't know if I did or did not, what I do know is that I cut the 5v power that was going from the board to the modulator, so even if it is connected I don't think it would have any effect.

I don't know what specific thing you are thinking of.

If you still have the output of the modulator connected to the centre pin of the RCA socket you are back-driving it with quite a large voltage (the composite signal). If you've already cut the power to the modulator it's only one extra step to disconnect the output as well. Once you've done that you will have completed the mod the way it is normally done.

If you still have the output of the modulator connected to the centre pin of the RCA socket you are back-driving it with quite a large voltage (the composite signal). If you've already cut the power to the modulator it's only one extra step to disconnect the output as well. Once you've done that you will have completed the mod the way it is normally done.

I went and cut that connection a few days ago, now the only thing connected to the jack is the video signal, I think all should be good now?

Back