• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ZX81 video isues

Which is why most switched mode PSU's are in a metal case and, therefore, are Class I equipment with a safety earth.

Basically, avoid Class II switched mode power supplies and go for a good old fashioned transformer, bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor unit.

No noise...

Dave

Agreed, so if Deksor can fix the original PSU which is exactly that sort of supply, that is probably the best way forward.

Ok so I will fix the original PSU soon. I'll then fix the ZX81's regulator hoping the rest hasn't been damaged ...

Alright !
I received the buck converter, I installed it in place of the 7805, added two ceramic caps, and then I took off my mod, took back the old PSU PCB, swapped the diodes (I salvaged them from the chinese PSU :p ) and here's the result !

I don't have the time to fully test it again but this looks promising !!

Thank you so much for your help :)

Very nice clean picture now Deksor - when you say you 'took off your mod', do you mean that you removed the modulator-replacement, and put the original modulator with that transistor patch back in?

No, that one is still there.
The one I removed is the Chinese PSU. I took it off and put back the original PSU (with new diodes) in the case

OK, got you now. I wondered if you had reverted to the original modulator + 'patch', which still looks suspiciously like a composite-video mod to me. Anyway, what you have at the moment is really working well.

If you are looking for something to do with it now, 3D MONSTER MAZE is widely considered to be one of the best original games which was available for the ZX81. Try to find your way through the maze, but don't get seen by the Tyrannousaur which is also lurking in the maze.

There is also this, from Paul Farrow - it's a 3D Isometric exploration game very much like the games KNIGHT LORE and ALIEN 8. They were considered to be ground breaking games on the Spectrum, but this is written to run on the ZX81!

Well the story isn't quite finished yet !

Now the problem lies on the saving (and probably loading) of programs.
I tried it with the chinese PSU (before the dearth of the regulator), and I couldn't hear anything on my tape player but hum. I hooked the "mic" plug to the TV to hear the signal, and I couldn't hear a thing unless I cranked the TV's amplifier way up.

After the death of the 7805 I thought it would be the PSU that was the issue (afterall if the PSU is sending 80V AC into the computer, it can't be good for output signals).

However now that the old PSU is back and working properly again, this problem is still there.
One thing I noticed however is that the sound of the modem seems way more strong when I unplug the composite cable but only halfway.

What could be the cause of this, this time ? Am I doing something wrong ? Is the composite mod causing issues ?

I tried to load games with my phone and they never loaded either.

First thing to realise is that the MIC socket is an audio output but the audio level is in the order of millivolts because it is intended to be connected to the microphone input on a tape recorder. A microphone only outputs a very tiny signal, so the ZX81 has to output a tiny signal from MIC so that the signal from the ZX81 looks (to the tape recorder) as though it is coming from a microphone. This level will be much too low to drive the AV audio input on a TV.

For your audio output connection from your player to the ZX81 EAR input, what sort of audio cable are you using? You really need one which has a stereo plug at the phone end and a mono plug at the ZX81 end. The cable should be wired so that only one of the two stereo output channels of the player should be connected to the ZX81 EAR signal in, so for example you would have GND in the mono plug connected to GND in the stereo plug, and TIP in the mono plug connected to TIP in the stereo plug, but nothing connected to the middle ring of the stereo plug.

The plug at the ZX81 end has to be mono because the GND contact inside the EAR socket is set quite far inside the socket and will make contact with the middle ring on a stereo plug instead of making contact with GND on the plug.

Even if you have the right plugs and connections there may still be a problem because devices designed to drive headphones often have intentionally limited output levels so that users can not damage their hearing, but this may mean that the audio can not go loud enough for the ZX to be able to 'hear' it. Try using something else, like a laptop, as the audio player just to see if that does work for you.

Back