• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Chuck(G)

1. Chuck(G)

http://www.68bits.com

I have a QIC (well, probably Iotamat) drive with a 6800 installed--I think that was standard for 3M on the early drives.
  2. Chuck(G)

Serial 20mA Current Loop 'standard' connector ?

The convention in the CNC world is a 4-terminal block. No special standard connector. 4 terminals for full duplex, 2 for half.
  3. Chuck(G)

CP/M, Coprocessor extensions and the 8087... Did it ever happen?

Using an 8087 or 80C187 NPU with a Z80 would be a daunting task, probably involving just as much work to do the interface as putting required math functionality into a custom FPGA made for the purpose. If what you're looking for is, say, fast multiplies, TRW made some very fast multipliers back...
  4. Chuck(G)

Z-80 Print Spooler

The buffer/spoolers were mostly intended for slow-speed printers (dot matrix/daisywheel) and for printer sharing back in the day. The buffering issue today is not even a consideration, since even low-end printers have multi-MB-sized buffers and the high-end ones have hard disks--and modern OS...
  5. Chuck(G)

The "Ahl Benchmark" of BASIC performance

But that was my point--MOV syntax being exactly the same between MASM and DEBUG won't generate the same code in some instances. Note that there are special-cased "short" forms of MOV as well as long forms to accomplish the same thing. MASM will pick the short form, while DEBUG always uses...
  6. Chuck(G)

Z-80 Print Spooler

There were also spoolers for CPM 80; I may have one locked away somewhere.
  7. Chuck(G)

For a non-isomorphism, consider 8086 assembly. What does "MOV" translate to? One thing that I found moderately amusing is that the same mnemonic and syntax translates to a different binary rendition when run through, say, MASM vs. DEBUG. One thing that I found annoying about MASM 2.0 or...
  8. Chuck(G)

Anyone else here really miss electronics stores?

Before you know it, they'll be describing sound at the end of a cable as having notes of oregano and peanut butter with overtones of pilchard. Makes me think that those audiophiles are suffering from synesthesia. Actually, the audiophiles should have turned in their membership cards when...
  9. Chuck(G)

Z-80 Print Spooler

external print buffer e.g. (Inmac had a bunch of this sort of stuff): https://www.ebay.com/itm/375277094408
  10. Chuck(G)

Mitsubishi M4851 360K Drive Reads - Won't Write

Got a digicam? Take a peep at the LED with it and see if it's glowing (Digicams do better at seeing near IR than you do.) Normally, you'd expect a drop of about 2V across an LED.
  11. Chuck(G)

Help ID of this board.

Could be, but this board is pretty much a naked Z80 board with 64KB of RAM. So no ROM, like the MDS boards have. Is the bracket original? It looks as if this was part of a 2-board set.
  12. Chuck(G)

There are medications for that, aren't there?
  13. Chuck(G)

There's also the AOpen AX4B-533 P4 motherboard: https://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/aopenax4btube/
  14. Chuck(G)

Recall also, that the SC/MP had both Nibl BASIC as well as a dialect of Tiny BASIC. Also, the NS IMP-16P BASIC mentioned here.
  15. Chuck(G)

Are we being a little restrictive on the term "micro" here? I'm sure there must have been a BASIC for the DG MicroNova-CPU machines (e.g. DG Enterprise), for example. Or the BASIC written for Intellivision...
Back