• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Eclipse S130

Marty

Veteran Member
Hi All;
Does anyone else have an Eclipse S130 and in what state is it ?? (running or not running) If running what software do you have ??
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I am in the process of trying to make my Eclipse run..
Yes, I am resurrecting an old post..
It, blew the power supply, about a year and a half ago or so..
I have it running from my PC power supply.. The same one that I used on my PDP 11/40 and the front of the PDP 11/45..
It is slow going.. I need to see what boards, that I have that are working..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
The Eclipse was Data General's follow on to the NOVA series. We used them at North American Rockwell. I hope you get a chance to post some photos.
-Dave

Hi All;
Dave-M, Yes, I know.. The Eclipse S130, and the Older S 330 are my Favorites of the Eclipse Series..
And Yes, I know of the Later MV Series, and the Eclipse version of the Nova 4, which I can't remember its number..
I have had the following a Nova Plain, a Nova 1200 multiples of them, a Nova 4 and a few Eclipse S 130 and an Eclipse S 330..
Bruce Ray has all of them except for my current Eclipse S130..
The current Eclipse Blew up its Power Supply about a Year and a half ago, So it been on the shelf since then..
I have Replaced its old Power supply with a PC Power supply..
Earlier, I got it to initially run, being able to do a Deposit and Examine.. I tried to put Memory Address Test, but about half way into entering it, something got too warm, not hot, just warm, and it quit working..
I already knew and had already planned to get the Fans working.. So, at present I have the Transformer all of the way out, and I am working on a new for it mount for the circuitry, that before sat on top of the Transformer.. But, now has to be mounted without the Transformer under it.. I also, took out about 6 large Caps, from the Bottom of the chassis..
So, if nothing else, the chassis is much, much lighter..
My point is until I get the small circuitry, remounted and the Fans powered up, I will then, send some Pictures of a running Machine.. Hopefully it at least will be somewhat working..
I Just took some Pictures, give me a few minutes, to see If I can download them onto this Newer machine..

1045.jpg 1039.jpg

1040.jpg 1041.jpg 1042.jpg

As, many of You know, I can't tell if they are any good until I have uploaded them, so some/all may be out of focus..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
Here are some more Pictures..

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

005.jpg 004.jpg

These are the Boards currently that will be in the Eclipse S 130..
They are CPU -1, CPU-2, Memory Management..
Second row, TTY I/O, Memory..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;

Here is another Picture, of my Socketed CPU-1 Board, for testing and experiments..

006.jpg

And Here I have alot more Fan Air getting to the Boards..

007.jpg 008.jpg 011.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Cool machine Marty, always liked S-130, and would like to find one. There was one in the lab next to mine, circa 1978 or '80-ish... the years are starting to blend together...actually lots of things are starting to blend together!

I've been known to use $15 Lasko fans from WalMart as computer coolers, noisy but effective!

Hi All;
FireDome,, "" and would like to find one. "" That is why I am doing what ever I can to make what I have work.. I can't go down to my local Computer store, and pick up a spare S 130..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I sort of got it to work, If I put in the Memory Address Test in a funny way, then it runs fine.. But If I put it in starting at Address '000 to Address '015, it locks up at Address '012.. But, If I deposit Address '015, then '014, then '013, then '012, then '011 and then start at Address '000 and work up to address '010.. Then it runs Ok..
I am going to try a different Memory Board..

Also, from Bruce Ray, on Why, using '377 for -1 jump, didn't work and why '777 or '001 did work..

To: "geist1122@juno.com" <geist1122@juno.com>
Subject: Re: S 130
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:41:07 -0600

G'day Marty -

377 and 372 (octal) are instructions to jump to page zero locations 377
and 372, respectively. Any value less than or equal to 377 (octal) is a
jump to page zero location 'value'.

777 octal is a jump relative to the previous instruction (anywhere in
memory, not page zero specific). Instruction values 400 - 777 (octal)
are jump relative instructions: 400 - 577 jump ahead of current
instruction, 600 - 777 jump behind current instruction.

Mark accidentally used 001 and 004 because he looked at a ASM listing,
and it ironically worked because several different 'wrongs' made a
'right'. (He must be good in Las Vegas!) Relocatable code values were
displayed in the his listing, but they accidentally were the same values
for the program starting at absolute location 0(!).

All the octal code values discussed here are controlled by the four addressing modes of the standard Nova instruction set (page 0, PC relative, AC2 relative and AC3 relative).

Bruce

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
It does the same thing with a different Memory Board !!!

I have Replaced U 58, a 74298, and that seems at this point to have fixed the problem..

I have inserted a TTY I/O Board and Entered Bruce's, Fat Finger program, for Outputting something from the setting of the Front Panel switches, and according to the O'Scope, I see a change in the pattern as I change the switch settings..
That Doesn't mean that it is the right or correct pattern, just a pattern.. Which is as far as I can tell is progress..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I got it working at 300 Baud in Echo mode.. It still has some problems, But, Hopefully, I can download some troubleshooting programs, and find out what may be wrong..

No, I cannot download..

Here is a Picture of it running Memory Address Test.. I keep on forgetting to post something..

001.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;

Here are some Pictures, of my Mostly Socketed CPU-1, board, attached to my CPU-2 board..
Which needs some Help, getting it going the rest of the way.. For starters, the four Led's on the right side of the Front Panel (console) should be off at this point.. So, that needs to be looked at, and fixed.. There is no Memory, nor any other boards to confuse the issue.. And, so at this point, it should Count, and it doesn't, they are solidly on..

002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

005.jpg 006.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;

I have one of my good CPU -1 Boards in the Eclipse, and one of the CPU-2 Boards that I did not have working before.. I had put in a switch to take the place of my Reset/Stop Switch.. And I had not tried either of these CPU-2 boards since..
The Eclipse S 130, is working better now.. It runs both the "Echo" Program, and the "Memory Address Test" Program, without any problems.. It can make an attempt at downloading, but, something is not Correct yet, I am hoping it is settings, Baud Rate, 8 Bits versus 7 Bits, No Parity versus Even Parity, Etc.. I have some minor programs that I can put in from the Console, to help me, hopefully determine where the culprit is.. With the Echo Program, I can download a text file and it is fine..
I may have a TTY I/O Board that seems to be working better than the others.. More tests need to be done..
I found a GOOD TTY I/O Board, and I can Now Download !!!!

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
Its Running EMORT S, in Un-Mapped mode, It will not Run in Mapped Mode..
Pictures to follow after, I finish Running the Tests..

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

I got it to Run in Mapped Mode, with ERCC (Error Correction) turned off..
So, it looks like I have a working Eclipse S130 !!!!

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I have it working on the PC, along with the Long cables 50 pin cables, that I checked out on the PC..
So, now I at least know that the Drive is good and the Cables are good..
Still can't get it to 'boot' from the Eclipse S130, using a Spectra 20 Board.. But, at least the Tape Drive works..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;

I GOT IT TO try TO BOOT FROM THE TAPE DRIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since it is a scratch Tape, there would be nothing for it to put from the Tape to the Eclipse S 130..

It was my own mistake, I was NOT thinking Clearly, I put '060133 at Location 376, instead of '060122, and wondering why it wouldn't boot on the Address of '000022 on the Spectra Board.. DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

004.jpg 005.jpg

006.jpg 007.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Congratulations on some more progress! It looks like you have an extender card in your earlier pictures, so I'm jealous. I don't know when I'll have time to work on my Nova 3 again, but hopefully it'll be soon.

Happy Independence Day!

Back