• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC XT.. The trick to get all drives in.

Robin4

Veteran Member
Hello all,

IMG_20240428_135927[1].jpg

I want to install 4 half-height drives in my PC XT clone case. 2x 5.25 inch 360KB drives, 1x HDD 5.25 inch and 1x 1.44MB 3.5 inch drive inside a 5.25 inch bracket)
I have already 2 drives installed with that loose side plate. I added this plate when the drives where in. ( i know you need some kind of plate to connector 2 half height drives make it as a full height one)
Its getting harder when installing those last 2 drives.
The third drive isnt still a problem when installing it on the bottom ( i know where all screw holes are) (also those on the bottom)

I can copy (making new one out of metal sheet) the loose side plate which i already have.

Only how going i install it when the 2 drives are all ready in? Also the bezel of the drives cant go through the front of the case. (front the back to the front installation.)
What i can do with an ST-296N drive is trying to remove the bezel (which can) ( i dont know if this option will work for every situation?) Attach that loose plate to the HDD. Insert it from the back to the front. Stick the drive out in the front.. Attach the bezel back to the drive and done?
So the fouth drive insert as a single unit?

Or are there an easier way?

Why not bolt the two drives to the adapter on the left side, then slide the assembly into the bay, then add screws on the right?

Because the bezels doesnt go trought the opening of the metal case. Its to narrow it seems.
The bezels should cover up the front insertion hole on the outer side,

I'm curious when your XT was made. Mine is from 1984 and the vertical walls on the outsides are half height.
The one visible on the right side of your picture appears to be full height.

Various adapter plates were used to help mount the disks in PCs.
The center between the two bays, has holes and access for a screw to go up through the bottom of the case into the drive.

This one is an IBM part.

IBM PC 62X1075 Plate.jpg

And this style, I'm not sure. I just made up a couple more of these (with the red layout die).

IMG_1654_2024-04-17.jpg

My XT is not a IBM, but a clone of it..

The front case badge says: XPC by XOR.
Dont know what brand XOR is. Never heard of them.
Yeah i was also thinking of make such new brackets.. There came only one original with this case. And the case came local from someone else.

Back